Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Surging and bucking under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surging and bucking under acceleration

I have been getting surging under harder than normal acceleration. It has started since the temps have been getting colder here. Smarty has been set on SW 2 for a long time. It doesnt matter what level the juice is set at.
Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this? Turbo is a hx35, stock as far as I know. Thanks Bret
Old 11-23-2007, 08:37 PM

check your fuel pressure. it sounds like your LP is dying.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:00 PM

oh I forgot to add, fuel pressure never drops below 13psi. 30,000 miles on vp-44.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:07 PM

Have you checked to see if the surge goes away with the Edge box turned off? I know that mine was doing this also -- it started out only doing it on level 2. And then 3... Soon it was doing it on level 5 as well... If I turned it to stock level it would be fine. I took the Edge box off so that I can send it back to Edge to be checked out and hooked the TST back up - truck doesn't miss a beat.
Augusta
Old 11-23-2007, 10:27 PM

if your surging with your edge and not with it unplugged it's probly time for more fuel presure before your pump dies.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by eswelding
if your surging with your edge and not with it unplugged it's probly time for more fuel presure before your pump dies.
If this advice is directed at me... fuel pressure is not an issue since I'm running the Mitusa. Also, since the TST PM3 Comp fuels every bit as hard (if not harder) than the Edge - as well as the fact that the surge is not there when the Edge is on the "hot" level (or level 1) - I attribute the problem to the all too common failure of an Edge product.
Augusta
Old 11-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Read this info, it will tell you how to fix your problem, its the IAT sensor, mine started when I went with the big sticks, its called timing shudder, good luck.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...dge-fixed.html
Old 11-24-2007, 12:57 AM

If that is not it then it might be your TC.

I know it sounds like a longshot but, I had a customer that said the same thing. Nothing I did tuning wise made any difference. Well he ended up putting a TC in it and problem solved!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1qckdodge
Read this info, it will tell you how to fix your problem, its the IAT sensor, mine started when I went with the big sticks, its called timing shudder, good luck.
What did you do to solve the problem, i have this problem with just the edge on for timing, if i have the TST on, problem goes away
Old 11-25-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Augusta
Have you checked to see if the surge goes away with the Edge box turned off? I know that mine was doing this also -- it started out only doing it on level 2. And then 3... Soon it was doing it on level 5 as well... If I turned it to stock level it would be fine. I took the Edge box off so that I can send it back to Edge to be checked out and hooked the TST back up - truck doesn't miss a beat.
Augusta
It does shudder with the juice set on 0. But it is alot less noticable on 0.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1qckdodge
Pretty hard to follow all that. Im not electronically inclined as those guys must be. I dont even know what half of the stuff they were talking about is.
There must be a simpler answer, or one in laymans terms at least...
Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 PM

This weekend, i cut a 20in tall by 28in wide piece of cardboard and stuck it between the intercooler and radiator and i also cleaned the intake manifold tempature sensor, i noticed a big difference, no shuddering with the timing box on and the truck seem to run smoother. I did not understand much of what they were talking about as far as the electronic lingo either, but i did understand cutting cardboard and cleaning the sensor. Heres another helpful link http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/sensors/IAT/clean.htm
Old 11-27-2007, 03:44 PM

Thanks CTD. I will do both of those things and give it a try.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Banned

i had that problem with my juice. i could stack it with my van aiken and it wouldn't miss a beat but was significantly lacking in the power it should have. i sent the box back and they replaced it. this was appon initial install. my FP was no less than 12psi on mine..... and when it would hiccup the fuel pressure would increase a psi or 2
Old 06-09-2019, 09:21 PM

What is the Tc ? My trucks having a similar problem. I just put 100% sticks in my truck and it does it around. 50-60 .

Originally Posted by qzilla
If that is not it then it might be your TC.

I know it sounds like a longshot but, I had a customer that said the same thing. Nothing I did tuning wise made any difference. Well he ended up putting a TC in it and problem solved!

Quick Reply: Surging and bucking under acceleration