Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Draw Straw install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 AM

Location: Dayton, NJ (temporarily while In USCG on Staten Island)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Draw Straw install question

Hey guys, as soon as it warms up I am dropping the tank and installing the draw straw I purchased from Vulcan. I have never had this type of tank apart, and from the directions am wondering how the aluminum block seals in the tank top? Does it just get re-sealed in the old grommet for the old supply port? I have searched here but no one talks about this part of install. Next question, sorry, the return just dumps through the aluminum block and does not need a hose, just want to make sure I have all my fittings laid out correctly for when I drop the tank. If anyone needs -8 or -6 fittings or hose, I have a great hydraulic guy who gives awesome deals on fittings and hose.

Thanks
Stephen
Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes...and yes.
The new aluminum block just seals in the original grommet. Mine went in a lot easier than the factory fuel pick up fitting came out... but was still well seated!

The return side dumps through the new block...no hose required. I think leaving the bottom screen on is a good idea... and cutting the pick up hose at a 'Slight' angle to prevent possibility of it sitting flat on the bottom, made sense to me also. It may reduce a little of the available fuel but the measuring is a 'crap shoot' anyway! I never run below 1/2 full unless on a trip anyway, so was not too worried.

Reports on dropping the tank range from real easy to "I'm not doing that again'. Mine was no fun!! Good luck with yours.

RJ
Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 AM

Location: Dayton, NJ (temporarily while In USCG on Staten Island)
Thanks RJohnson, yea been soaking the tank strap bolts, and will have a buddy to help out so it shouldn't be too bad. yea I would lift bed but the stacks removal would be a pain since they are well seated together.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Stephen, I'm going to be doing the Draw Straw on my truck the week of February 5th as I will be on vacation. Please update me with any problems or tips you might have after the install. I'd hate to screw it up.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-18-2007, 04:57 PM

I removed the bolts on the driveside of the bed, and loosened the passenger side a good amount, and tilted the bed up to get at the tank. With your stacks, you should be able to just disconnect them at the elbow underneath the bed, yes?

I measured from the top of the tank (with the seal in place) to the bottom of the tank, is a hair under 14". I'll be setting the pick up to a depth of 13.5", hopefully it will work ok.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tate
I removed the bolts on the driveside of the bed, and loosened the passenger side a good amount, and tilted the bed up to get at the tank. With your stacks, you should be able to just disconnect them at the elbow underneath the bed, yes?

I measured from the top of the tank (with the seal in place) to the bottom of the tank, is a hair under 14". I'll be setting the pick up to a depth of 13.5", hopefully it will work ok.

That seems like the easier route to me. Was that for the Espar?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:59 PM

For the Espar, as well as putting in a Draw Straw. There is (will be) a pic or three in my gallery of what the Espar pick up is like. Its a good thing I tore it apart. My fuel tank module had turned itself into a two-piece setup. Started wearing through the strainer on the bottom.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tate
.... My fuel tank module had turned itself into a two-piece setup. Started wearing through the strainer on the bottom.
Interesting - How many miles?
I was actually fairly impressed with the condition of mine at just over 100,000 miles. Lead me to advise many.... 'If it ain't broke...don't fix it." Yours is the first I've heard that was not holding up?

RJ
Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Just under 360k km, or roughly 225k miles. I was quite surprised to see it like that. I thought for a 9 year old truck, it would be better than that. The pickup in my 78 Ford was still in one piece . . .