Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

It is done!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is done!!!

After about 5000 miles of driving on the sps62 I couldn't stand it anymore. I almost got beaten by a Toyota tundra because of lag. I had myself initially talked into going back to stock and dealing with the heat. But no, I get on this forum and read about twin turbo's.

Wouldn't you know my wife found three boxes on the front porch this afternoon.
She didn't tell me right away, but I knew something was up as she was reviewing with me the growing importance of the honey do list.

A couple of questions?
1) After reading the instructions (in my private reading room) it says they must be properly broken in. What is an acceptable break-in for twins?
2) Typically what does it typically take to install them?
3) Any tricks to help get a set of BD twins installed?
4) Anything to do to make them better?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 PM

break in for turbo's? let the truck come up to operating temperature before going WOT on new turbos
Old 12-12-2007, 08:49 PM

Contact 2141pete, he just put a set of BD twins on his truck this past weekend.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Chapter President

Um, since when will two turbos spool quicker than one? Is it just me or is that flawed logic? You almost getting beat is because you have a handshaker. JMHO
Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScottGregory
1) After reading the instructions (in my private reading room) it says they must be properly broken in. What is an acceptable break-in for twins?
2) Typically what does it typically take to install them?
3) Any tricks to help get a set of BD twins installed?
4) Anything to do to make them better?
Proper break-in really just references not flogging the turbos right after install... The same would apply for normal driving anyhow. Let the oil and engine get some temperature before punishing the truck.

I just installed a set of BD's on Saturday. You're going to want to have a good set of English and metric sockets and various length wrenches for them. You'll need a 7/16" deep well to remove the stock clamps on the intercooler boots. A good set of combination wrenches... ratcheting combination wrenches are of good use. You'll want to have some pliers or something similar(channel locks, "vise grips"...). Torque wrench... I'm sure there is a list on the instructions. If you're also doing the manifold, you may need to have a set of hex(allen) drivers

Tricks?? Don't get in a hurry. Hang the bottom turbo first... I think the instructions say to do it the other way. Make sure you tighten the oil feed line for the bottom turbo before things get too congested. The downpipe might need to be massaged to fit. Same with the oil drains. Don't forget to re-tighten the housings on both turbos once you've clocked them with the cartridge. You're probably going to want to recruit a buddy to help out. Oh yeah, drain the coolant before you start....

I don't know of any mods to make on the turbos that will improve them....

Originally Posted by Mike D
Um, since when will two turbos spool quicker than one? Is it just me or is that flawed logic? You almost getting beat is because you have a handshaker. JMHO
That really depends on the turbos that compromise the twins in comparison to the single turbo... My BD's will spool much faster than the SP66 on my brothers truck. Now, if you're comparing the top turbo used in a twins set with that same turbo used as a single then obviously the single should spool faster.

The turbos in the BD's are pretty small by twins standards... both are S300's. It's an engineered set and spool really well. Nearly as quick as a stock HX-35 but there is certainly a bit of lag in comparison.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Banned

Proper break-in really just references not flogging the turbos right after install... The same would apply for normal driving anyhow. Let the oil and engine get some temperature before punishing the truck.
Actually...
The reason you break in a set/single instead of flogging it right out of the box has to do with balance more than anything.The new turbo wil have no soot on the exhaust wheel and the first couple of miles are critical on what happens to it.See installing it,then driving it easily will allow the charger/s to have the soot build up evenly.They are actually out of balance for a bit until the soot displacement becomes even and then they end back in balance.To flog them right out of the box means the charger will get sooted uneven and be unbalanced while under a heavy boost load,which could lead to premature failure.