Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

choosing an alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
choosing an alarm system

Left the house yesterday morning and, walking to the truck, found one pane of the rear slider smashed, and the glovebox hanging open with its contents strewn about the truck. Nothing of value was taken, I think they were looking for cash, and I'm very happy the truck itself was not gone, but I guess I need to take steps to prevent this in the future.

I'm not an alarm fan at all; I hate hacking into a perfectly good wiring harness, drilling holes in my dash, false alarms, undependable aftermarket products, and intrusive "automatic" features such as alarms that arm themselves. Above all, I hate going to those electronics stores where six pushy salesmen jump on you as you enter.

However, I think I should consider getting an alarm. I want good quality, and NO extra features like remote starters. Anybody got opinions on brands/models/features etc.? Is Viper one of the better ones? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Viper 791XV, one of their more top of the line models, comes w/ a small pager like key fob that has a pretty good range and shows you what, if anything, is making the alarms go off. I had the same concerns as you did about an alarm and so far the Viper has not been intrusive or annoying at all. Have had it about a year now, only complaint is the remote eats AAA batteries pretty quick.

Any DEI made alarms is pretty good, Viper, Clifford, etc. are all made by Directed Electronics Inc.

good luck
Jeff
Old 11-11-2005, 03:19 PM

We just went with Viper 5000. They are also a two way with all the options. Only had them for a week so we'll see how they are. I just got my truck (99) back after an attemped theft. I have been looking at alarms since we had atruck stolen in June and had not gotten to it yet. We also moved but, like I said; We'll see how it works. One thing I don't like about it (which can be turned on/off) is the "Nuisance Prevention Circuitry". When the same sensor is causeing the warning tone (not full alarm) the sensitivity to it reduces. I hope something is better then nothing.

Randy
Old 11-11-2005, 04:01 PM

I have the clifford one, upper model that has a remote that shows what sensors are going off. And like previously stated a AAA battery lasts maybe 2 months its not intrusive or anything. I want to add a switch to my tool box so if that opens it'll set the alarm off, just like a trunk or hood switch.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I'll start shopping now.

Dave
Old 11-12-2005, 09:06 PM

The rear slider seems to be an easy entry point. A headache rack with expanded metal or bars will stop a would be theif.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:43 PM

The dealer had one installed on my 01 when I bought it. Cost? $100.00, installed. A kid comes by once a week to do all the D/C vehicles, so he makes his $ by volume, not mark-up. No problems with anything since installation either. It has an ignition kill switch too.