3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Alarm System

Old 11-13-2002, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm System

I had the dealer install a autostart on my Diesel truck. It will start fine in the morning but if I use it for lunch or going home. What it does is start the truck run it for about 10 sec and then shut it off and continue to do this 3 times before it just quits.. I am more worried about damaging the engine then about getting this thing to auto start. Does anyone know if there is something I do not know about. <br>Like I said it starts fine in the morning. But that is it. I thought possibly that it could be the hood sensor, but that is full depressed and I even repositioned it for better contact. So that is not my concern. <br>The alarm system is a Automate model # 553. Its going back to the dealer in a day or so. Just thought possible that someone on here would know something to save me a trip over to the dealer. <br>Thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 07:55 AM

Re:Alarm System

I was reading the owner's manual and it said that the Auto Start systems were incompatible with the alarm system. Something about having to have the keytag sensor near the truck is what I was thinking. I dunno. ???<br><br>Jean
Old 11-14-2002, 08:46 AM

Whoa.. get back to me on this.. <br><br>My truck does not have a factory alarm system on it... Anyone have a manual close to them... my truck is at the dealer... Check engine light flickering and the autostart taking a crap on me...
Old 11-14-2002, 08:59 AM

Even though your truck might not have an alarm, the key has a proximity chip in it which tells the truck it's okay to start (anti-theft system) or so I've read somewhere. My wifes Hoonda has the same thing in it and when the installed the autostart they had to do something special ... alarm would go off every time she'd start it, but never when I di ... guess I'm just charmed! ;D
Old 11-14-2002, 09:08 AM

The truck has a aftermarket alarm system in it. That is programmed for the remote start feature... <br>The truck did not come with a alarm or keyless entry from the factory. <br>The truck will start in the morning with the remote fine... but if I try to start it any time after that it will just cycle the truck on and off 3 times and the stop... <br>I have it at the shop now... We will see what happens...
Old 11-14-2002, 03:50 PM

Well the dealer fixed the alarm. they said it needed a tap wire, and a new programmer. Everything is good now. Per what they say.. SO we will see.. There were no codes stored in they system for the ses light poping on and off... they said if i wanna leave it there they will have a tech drive it for the weekend.. i was like no way in hell.. its mines.. i have only had it for 6 days... i need to drive it...
Old 11-15-2002, 02:54 PM

My dealer just called me today. They said the check engine light is the fan clutch. It is not disengaging at high speeds.. So hopefully they will find what yours is. They said that is why it is flickering because it sticks then releases... sounds good to me... will be bring it back there on tuesday for repairs