Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

bomb the 02 or buy the 03 ho auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bomb the 02 or buy the 03 ho auto

bought a bigger trailer 8000 before the wife packs it not to mention the toys in the back of the truck towed it for the first time and holy slow up the pass i like my truck but im not attatched .any body bomb there 2nd gen and now regret it ?? figure with a new trans and all the other upgrades im looking at 5,000
Old 06-24-2003, 07:26 AM

Re:bomb the 02 or buy the 03 ho auto

There's a good chance if you're spending time on this website, you'd be better off BOMBing your '02 than buying an '03 HO. It'd be cheaper in the long run, since I imagine after you sunk the extra money on the new '03, you'd just BOMB it anyway!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:59 AM

Bombing an 03 is pretty cool though. Give it a turbo, DD3's, and TSTs new box and you are going to be near 500 hp with a truck that drives better than stock in every way.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:58 PM

Deje,<br> Which body style do you like better? I am partial to the second generation, so I am not interested in the 03s. I am slowly getting my truck where I want it, and that is what is important. If you are not partial to your truck trade it in on an 03, and enjoy. If you enjoy your 02, then BOMB away!<br><br>Tiny
Old 06-24-2003, 04:47 PM

i was hoping that bombing the 03 wouldnt be as expensive since dc claims you can bomb it without voiding the 70k warranty on the trans and it sure seems stronger than the 47re
Old 06-24-2003, 04:58 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I can not imagine DC, or any other vendor, saying- hey, bomb this vehicle it won't break. <br>IMHO it's like that that maybe the 48 will have a little more margin for bombing than the 47, but I'm shure that you can slay it with the torque these engines can be convinced to put out. <br>I know that this doesn't help you on your decision- I'd go and try an 03 with your trailer up the pass where you found your lack of power- if you like it as it is go for the 03, do not bomb it, and drive around with the warranty intact. ( In this case, leave this site immediately ;D )<br>If you don't like the 03 in stock form, go and bomb your 02- with a nice tranny (DTT my personal choice and very content, ATS to be considered- but I never had one in my hands) and some mods in the region of the 5k$ you talked about will make this truck rock. <br><br>Just pondering<br><br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Banned

I like my 01. The 03's are just to new to me. A lot of new technology in that engine that hasn't been proven. That would be the only thing stopping me from getting the 03. That, and they are to quiet. I love the way they look and the power potential is down right scary.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:52 PM

some thoughts here. When I bought my 02 last summer I debated waiting for an 03, and decided to buy the 02 outright. But my goals were perhaps different than yours -- I like the 02 body style, and I'm after moderate bombing for &quot;close to&quot; the 350 HP region for the least amount of $$ spent -- for towing. the 02 ETH is very good for that, since you can use the stock turbo. An EZ, mild injectors, and a scotty air and you're done. or perhaps just a comp box and a scotty. I understand that the fueling boxes for the 03s are very effective, but you still have that little hy to contend with. easy problem to fix of course, just more $$.<br><br>If I wanted an auto (both 2nd gen and 3rd gen autos come with an HY turbo), and liked the 4-door body style, then for me it would be an 03 or 04 for sure. Yea, there's a lot of new technology in the engine, but they already have a year behind them by now and I'd trust Cummins a whole lot more than GM or Ford in that regard. The advantages of the HPCR trucks are a simpler and more robust fuel system, and a better front end. All things you can deal with on the 2nd gens of course. <br><br>I just prefer the older body style, I don't like the crew cab look, or the slightly shorter bed and longer truck, and the HY turbo tops out sooner than the HX. I have an EZ now and I think there's probably a set of stage 1 or 2 injectors in my future, along with a fairly quiet sheep (scotty II in hush mode).<br><br>Seems to me the HPCR engines have a larger radiator? or was that body style change necessary for the hemi cooling system only without benefiting the CTDs? If there is any more cooling system capacity on the HPCR's, and you're in to beyond 350 HP bombing, then the 03-04s look pretty attractive.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:38 PM

i think im leaning towards the 03 ho auto. i like both trucks im just thinking that a stock truck wont ever get it done for me and the starting #s are so much higher on an 03 so i wont have so much to do to it. which would leave more time for fishing &amp; hunting ;D but then again im lible to bomb any thing i own