3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To Bomb or not to bomb, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Bomb or not to bomb, that is the question

I know, I know...this issue has probably been beat to death. My main concern here is pulling over the hills out west. I also know I would have been better off getting a 6 banger instead of an auto, but the shifting would be hard on my wife's knees due to knee surgery in the past. I have the auto (48RE) scheduled for the ATS triple lock with all the other goodies so it can handle the extra HP and torque along with an exhaust brake. I am also concidering the Power Edge EZ for torque enhancement as well as gauges. Besides everything I have mentioned here, is there anything else I am missing. Should I put a 4" exhaust on to keep temps down? Are bigger injectors REALLY necessary? I don't want to go over board and install a bunch of muscle where it's not necessary. Any experienced advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:33 PM

Re:To Bomb or not to bomb, that is the question

Your trans should be able to hold up to what you are thinking about doing. The EZ box takes about 10 minutes to hook up and gives lots of extra power. They do recommend a better than stock exhaust when you add the EZ box. I just put a 4" Magnaflow muffler on mine and the EZ box is on the way. That's all I'm doing. I will have to be careful since I have the 47RE but your 48RE should handle even the exhaust brake with no problems.. You may also want to look into some type of better intake air filter setup like the ScottyIII.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:06 AM

DodgeZilla...please give us a report on that box/tranny combo as I desperatly need more towing power, but am afraid of frying the tranny. I have a 4" and Ram Air 3 now.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:21 AM

PADZZ,

If you fry the tranny just pull the box off of the truck and get the truck to the dealership. Don't tell them that you had the box on it and let the warranty cover the tranny..

The trans should hold up to the EZ box anyways. The problem most guys have, in my opinion, is that they install the fueling box and get all that extra power and now they drive the truck like it's a Corvette( I was one of them with my 98 CTD). If you can drive like a normal person and use your newfound power wisely, you should be fine. You may want to get a couple of guages to monitor trans temp and EGTs if your going to be towing alot.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:09 PM

Yeah, I'm sick of driving it at 3000 RPM just to go 70 MPH. Any hill completely neutralizes my power; can't hold OD unless going on flats.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Banned

I drive my truck with the 47re trans and EZ like a Vette and it is doing OK. It's been better. I'm usually pretty easy on it. If I want to drive a car like a Vette, I'll just go and drive my Vette. ;D