Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Total Dodge n00b question on BOMB'ing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 03:50 AM
Tire Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Dodge n00b question on BOMB'ing

Hi,<br>I'm a relatively new member, I have been reading your forum for about 4 days now. I have made my decission, I'm going to buy a 1999 2500 Quad Cab Short Bed 4x4. My question is, when it comes to BOMB'ing, is manual the way to go? I've seen videos of Cummins smoking their tires for what seems to be forever. Would that be possible in manual? I'm coming from a 1993 Chevy K2500 Extended Cab Short Bed 4x4 6.5lTD w/ 5-spd transmission. I tow a small double axel trailer, with maybe 1,500LB 300miles round trip, and the Chevy is starting to act up. I like the idea of pluggin a box in, and getting so much performance out. Yes I understand it's more complicated than that, but it was just a saying. I wouldn't have the money to plop down 3k on upgrading the transmission (auto) right away. I talked with Gonzo yesterday, really helped me with alot of my questions, thanks man ;D . Anyhow, would a manual transmission be less expensive to upgrade than the automatic? I'm getting tired of manual transmissions, so I'm kind of leaning towards the auto.. what ammount of power can the 99' auto take before puking? Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.<br>Thanks,<br>John Rodriguez
Old 02-18-2003, 07:03 AM

Re:Total Dodge n00b question on BOMB'ing

It really depends I think on how you drive it. Some have toasted the stock tranny with just a 60 hp box. I ran the stock tranny for about 4 months with about 500 hp going to it and it lasted for a while but did puke in the end! Its a gamble it all depends on how much abuse the truck you are looking at has taken. I drove my 99 for three years with a diablo power puck and never had a problem with the tranny and I used it as a snow plow truck in winter. The manual is much easier to upgrade but the auto is always my preference. I do recommend that you state your future plans for the the truck and let us help you out before you make any purchases. I think this will happen to you as it has to others including myself. You buy a little want more buy more want more! So if you think you are a HP junkie then please let us know we will guide you on the least expensive route. I do suggest for fueling boxes the EDGE COMP if you want to go faster in future or the TST boxes. If you plan on say adding 60 HP and leaving it alone get a diablo power puck or EDGE EZ both are nice enhancements.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:19 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

Hey John!<br><br>As Jamie mentioned, the stock auto is really only good for about 60 ponies before you have to look into upgrades (around 3K). The 5 or 6 speed is usually good to 100 HP, although there have been some early failures at this power level. I am personally a big fan of the stick, as once the clutch is upgraded, you can throw gobs of power at the NV transmissions, and never have a problem...<br><br>Rod
Old 02-18-2003, 11:18 AM

Thanks Rod wish you had of told me that when I bought my truck I still don't think I have a great tranny it in!~
Old 02-18-2003, 09:26 PM

I can't agree more with the point Jamie made about doing it right the first time. I should know, I keep buying his old parts when he upgrades! AND THEN I STILL END UP LOOKING FOR BIGGER ONES MYSELF....do it right the first time! It may seem like a lot of money (because it IS) but you'll spend even more if you start off small and upgrade...
Old 02-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Tire Hater

Wow, I really appreciate all the responses. I don't have alot of money, I'm 19. I live in a small town at the bottom of Texas (Laredo), and 70% of the vehicles on the road are trucks, from 18-wheelers to Rangers. We are the shipping gateway into Mexico, so there are many many trucks. Just a little background information. As far as upgrading, I would think 300-400 would be enough. Just enough to spank the ricers and the Mustangs with bodykits. How much is it to upgrade a manual transmission? Would a 1999 be available in 6-speed? There are alot of ranches over here, and though not much is done competitively, I have a few friends who like going offroading. We usually head out for a couple of hours at someones ranch. We don't get much rain, but when it does rain, there is alot of mud. We do have a 1/4, opened about 18 months ago, I would like to spank some cars every once in a while. But most of the time it will be city driving. But coming from a Chevy TD, I really don't know how much power 300-350hp is, considering a stock 6.5TD puts out 190, 200 on selected engines. As far as going with the most inexpensive way to upgrading to ungodly power, I wouldn't want to spend over 2-3k on power enhancements. And it would be slowly, maybe an ScottyII and 5&quot; stacks at first then the Edge Comp, then what ever else you suggest. I would like to get what ever transmission upgrades are available before adding power, because I don't know when I could afford another truck. Thanks everyone, your quick responses amaze me, and wait to hear some more.
Thanks,
John Rodriguez

*EDIT*
One more question, I keep hearing about HO and SO engines. I assume HO is the High Output engine. Was this available on the 1999? There is a 1999 locally for sale, but I have not had a chance to check it out now. On my list for things to check for are: 53 on the engine block casing (applies to 99?), where do I check for HO or SO engines?
Old 02-19-2003, 01:36 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

In 1999 you couldn't get an HO equipped truck, but you could get a 6 speed. The 6 speed is VERY difficult to find in these years. If you're not towing, the 5 speed is a good tranny, and the clutches are little cheaper. If you're looking at 2001 or 2002 years, the 6 speed tranny was only available with the HO.<br><br>3K would get you into a decent set of injectors, Scotty, good fueling box and a clutch to hold the power. You'd have more than enough to spank a ricer ;D<br><br>Rod
Old 02-19-2003, 03:50 PM

One question to answer before deciding if you want a manual transmission or an automatic is to consider what you are going to use the truck for.<br><br>IMO - If you want to tow then the manual transmission is the way to go. If you want to race you should seriously consider the automatic. <br><br>The shifting mechanism in the Dodge trucks five or six speed transmissions have wide gates and long throws - after all they are truck transmissions. They are not built for speed shifting and I don't believe there is anything you can do (like a Hurst shifter etc) to improve them. A lot of ground can be lost between shifts!<br><br> <br><br> <br><br><br>
Old 02-23-2003, 02:42 PM

[quote author=Dodgedually link=board=4;threadid=11098;start=0#106595 date=1045691442]<br>One question to answer before deciding if you want a manual transmission or an automatic is to consider what you are going to use the truck for.<br><br>IMO - If you want to tow then the manual transmission is the way to go. If you want to race you should seriously consider the automatic. <br><br>The shifting mechanism in the Dodge trucks five or six speed transmissions have wide gates and long throws - after all they are truck transmissions. They are not built for speed shifting and I don't believe there is anything you can do (like a Hurst shifter etc) to improve them. A lot of ground can be lost between shifts!<br><br>[/quote]<br>I would have to disagree. I have raced alot of trucks like mine with autos. If you can shift, there is not really any lost ground. You MIGHT lose .10 seconds over the 1/4 mile if you can shift well. But it takes ALOT of practice! ;D