Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Big DTT tranny question/concern

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big DTT tranny question/concern

OK I have been doing starts with my truck taking it up to 10 PSI holding the breaks to make the boost then hammering it and lifting the breaks. Will this in any way hurt the truck? My dad says as soon as I take it up in power my truck is slipping the clutches thats the only place the power can go is this true? If so that means I am burning the clutches correct? If so what is the way to start? What is the best way to come off the line? I don't want to damage my truck thats the last thing I need is another tranny. Can anyone shed some light on this situation? ??? ???
Old 07-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Re:Big DTT tranny question/concern

Your dad is wrong. The torque converter is busily converting that power to heat, which your transmission cooler is disposing of. I wouldn't do it at every traffic light, but if you need to make a point occasionally ... ;D
Old 07-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Jamie:<br><br>My son and I just recently began drag racing our trucks. ;D<br><br>My &quot;start&quot; procedure is as follows:<br><br>1.) Truck in &quot;Drive&quot;, OD locked out. (light on)<br>2.) Transfer case in 4WD High<br>3.) I hold my left foot on the brake and my right<br> foot on the accelerator.<br>4.) As soon as I get the &quot;Staged&quot; Light I begin <br> accelerating until I have built up between<br> 10-15 lbs of boost.<br>5.) When the THIRD yellow light comes on, I<br> release the brake and FLOOR IT!<br>6.) When I feel the truck shift into third gear<br> I release my &quot;OD&quot; lockout button (to let the<br> truck shift into fourth gear) and I push my<br> transfer case from 4WD (High) to 2WD.<br>If you don't have 4WD then you just skip those<br>steps. I am by NO MEANS an expert on this, but<br>from what everyone has told and taught me it seems<br>to work pretty good for me. Maybe some of the other<br>veteran drag racers like &quot;Jetpilot&quot;, &quot;KatDiesel&quot;, &quot;Stake<br>Man&quot;, will see this and add some tips for you.<br><br>Does it hurt the tranny??? I am sure over a period <br>of time it will take it's toll but as &quot;wannadiesel&quot; said,<br>&quot;sometimes you have to make a point!&quot; <br><br>-------<br>John_P
Old 07-05-2003, 06:01 PM

Ok so the tourque converter clutches are slipping then or am I totally OK I don't do it at every light but I don't want to kill my tranny.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:59 PM

Jamie,<br><br>You are NOT slipping any clutches..... You are using the tranny fluid to transfer the power to the tranny. Once the TC is locked it would be possible to slip the TC clutch. <br><br>Doug
Old 07-05-2003, 07:10 PM

Once the TC is locked it would be possible to slip the TC clutch.
<br><br>Doug ..<br><br>You left yourself open with this one ;D ;D but I'm not gonna go there 8)<br><br>But you are correct .... the Tconv is doing the work .. the clutches are already engaged ... TQ slips and creates an enormous amount of heat!<br><br>Keith
Old 07-05-2003, 07:19 PM

Keith,<br><br>Actually the fluid is doing the work..... Once the TC is locked it is possible to slip both the clutches within the TC and the tranny (this is with ANY transmission under the right conditions). I have seen what the inside of a tranny can look like if the clutches are allowed to slip and its not pretty.<br><br>Somehow I don't think Jamie is slipping his TC clutch if I have yet to slip mine..... Besides he can't slip a DTT TC clutch doing what he described ;D<br><br>Doug
Old 07-05-2003, 07:26 PM

Yes ... the fluid ... but the TQ is moving that fluid fluid gets hot from &quot;doing the work&quot;

). I have seen what the inside of a tranny can look like if the clutches are allowed to slip and its not pretty.
Uh huh ..... interesting how those steels can warp so bad under pressure in the clutch packs .... I've seen my share of fried trans guts! ;D ;D

Besides he can't slip a DTT TC clutch doing what he described
I sure hope he can't .... and I KNOW he'd never slip an ATS doing that either ... jab jab ;D

Old 07-05-2003, 07:56 PM

Im happy now my worries are laid to rest.