Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

APPS High Idler

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blacksilver...the reason for the project box without having a switch on it would be put the relay in...if u want to have the relay shoved in behind the dash somewhere then no you u wouldnt have to have one.

the rotary dial you see in some pics, yea that is attached to the pot..
as far as the wiring diagrams, i used the same one thats floatin around on here, with a little help from a friend that knows more about electrical than me...mine works great..i have about 30$ invested in it....
Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 PM

thanx for the reply, i have a couple friend's in the electrical field, maybe they can assist me.

anyone else care to chime in and help out us guys who have no idea what we're doing but would like to learn. . . . . !!!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by BlackSilver
thanx for the reply, i have a couple friend's in the electrical field, maybe they can assist me.

anyone else care to chime in and help out us guys who have no idea what we're doing but would like to learn. . . . . !!!
Which part you need help with?
Basically you are taking a 5 volt signal from the APPS and reducing it down with resistors and the pot (pot being like and adjustable resistor).

You send the reduced signal (which is still higher than the .5 volts or so that the APPS produces at idle) back to the APPS. The APPS now sees a voltage that is higher than idle voltage (around .5) so it tells the VP to idle up!

Basically it
Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM

I love mine. Like has been said before, about $30 invested.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:14 AM

I keep looking for the wiring diagram in all of these posts does anyone know where it is or could repost it so that I could put the high idle switch on mine??
Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM

Here is the one I used. I drew it by hand so I could label and understand better.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCloud#2
I keep looking for the wiring diagram in all of these posts does anyone know where it is or could repost it so that I could put the high idle switch on mine??
post #19 on page #2
Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 PM

Talking

Hopefully I won't get flamed for bringing an almost 3 year old thread back, but I think it has great information and is exactly what people are looking for this time of year.

I have read this thread inside and out, and a couple of the most common problems discussed is the PTO Sense Wire and the APPS box limitations. I think I may have found a solution for both of them. Maybe some people have already figured this out on here, and if you have thanks, but figured I'd get it out there myself.

First of all, I read up more on the PTO Sense Wire, and it sounds it would possibly just require hooking it up to a 12V switch to enable it.

The second part of the info I found is regarding the APPS High Idle box itself. As anyone knows who has done the install, once you idle past 1500 RPM or so, the ECM throws a code that indicates the idle is "out of range."
Well, I found a thread over on Diesel Bombers that talked about high idle suggestions. Towards the end of the thread, some guy posted about how he rigged up a high idle switch similar to the APPS box that tapped into the APPS to idle up. However, what he added was a few relays to tap into the remaining wires, the Idle Validation wires, to tell the ECM it was "off idle."
By doing this, he eliminated the problem the ECM throwing a code, and now he could idle his truck up to WOT using the switch. Although his original design called for just leaving it set to idle at 1250 RPM, he later stated he posted that he added a potentiometer, and now he could idle up indefintely.

I think this solves the problem of the original APPS high idle box design, and now using this method, a fully adjustable electronic high idle solution can be created without any problems.

Here is the thread. He also gives a full, easy to read schematic which makes the fix even easier.

http://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-lit...high-idle.html
Old 12-02-2010, 08:11 PM

So, if you put +12v to the PTO wire what does the truck do?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:54 PM

I think if 12v is applied to the PTO sense wire, the truck will idle at 1,200rpm until the 12v source is removed.... I modified an 05' ford and it was as simple as making a jumper from the outfitter switches to the pto wire... flip the switch and the truck would high idle until the switch was flicked or brakes were applied
Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM

......1st off i'll admit i never read the whole thread........Where i live every early morning start is a cold start.....One morning i was talking to a chrysler tech about hi-idle for my 01.....his solution is......take it to the dealer and get the computer reflashed ......he says all 24 valve have that option in there, it just has to be programmed ....., or should i just do this home remedy....kim.....
Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by oldkimmer
......1st off i'll admit i never read the whole thread........Where i live every early morning start is a cold start.....One morning i was talking to a chrysler tech about hi-idle for my 01.....his solution is......take it to the dealer and get the computer reflashed ......he says all 24 valve have that option in there, it just has to be programmed ....., or should i just do this home remedy....kim.....

but dealerships take your money.... I've heard anywhere from $30-$80 to have them re-flash the ecm to enable high idle
Old 09-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by oldkimmer
Just find someone with a Smarty and it will take 5 minutes. I have done it so many times for people I know. You get the cold high idle and the 3 cylinder warm up also.

Jeff