Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aftermarket turbo w/ Pacbrake

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket turbo w/ Pacbrake

I am trying to find which aftermarket turbo manufacturer uses a direct replacement for my stock HX35W turbo (without much luck) while being able to continue to use my turbo mounted Pacbrake (which was just installed).

While planning the next few performance upgrades (1-2 months) including 100hp injectors and ARP head studs. It is my understanding that the stock turbo is good for about 350hp? After that I would like to upgrade the turbo.

Because of the Pacbrake being turbo mounted I am having difficulties finding answers to which manufacturers are available. If I can not upgrade the turbo (not including hybrid) then I will just install the injectors and leave the rest stock. I also am aware that a clutch will be included during this time frame and still searching between SB and Valair pending on final performance goal.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Please delete this post... I contacted Pacbrake this morning and got my answer.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RottnRam
Please delete this post... I contacted Pacbrake this morning and got my answer.
I'm curious........what was their answer?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM

What ?

Originally Posted by mrclean
I'm curious........what was their answer?
Me too. !!!! I would like to know also.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM

PacBrake said and I quote: " your pretty much stuck with stock turbo." I am going to take with my mechanic and see if fabrication can be done without losing the exhaust brake. After what I have spent on purchase and install I am not for going to take a beating plus having brake exhaust helps a four ton truck with stopping.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM

If its new, sell it off for as much as you can and get an inline brake instead. Then turbo options are endless.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Call Pac, they might exchange it for an inline at minimal cost.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 PM

I already called PacBrake and they didn't offer an exchange for minimal expenses. The unit is used, I am going to research more and see if fabrication can somehow work. If not I will forget about building up my truck.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The stock turbo starts to fall down around 300 hp, but it really depends on what you're doing--towing a heavy load up a hill is harder to keep EGTs cool vs. running through the gears empty down a quarter mile strip.

You're definitely NOT limited to the stock turbo regardless, and I'm not sure why Pacbrake told you that. The HX-35/40 hybrid turbos use the same exhaust housing as your stock turbo, but flow more air. These have been around longer than the 2nd gen Dodge truck has, so the Pacbrake folks should certainly be aware of them.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:24 PM

I have researched and found out that the hybrid is an option. I am thinking of several different options right now and trying to figure out what is my best scenario.

1. Buy a new charger and sell the HX35W and PacBrake exhaust mount together. I am not sure of a asking price for both? HX35W turbos go for 250.00-300.00 and with a used PacBrake included I would be looking for atleast 800-900.00. I am not sure anyone would be interested in a stock charger and exhaust brake with turbo mount. If I was to receive asking price I could buy a new inline mount with the sale and then buy a bigger charger. This gives me the most options with bigger injectors and replacing the stock clutch.

2. Install injectors - research says with stock charger that RV275 injectors are best bang for the buck. While replacing the injectors have the valves adjusted and call it a day.

I was interested in getting F1 Mach II injectors (105hp) along with backing down the comp to level I for daily driving but, have been advised not to because of limits of stock charger this would not be a good option (waste of money). I know people have run them and had good luck but, I don't want to have any issues with excessive smoke or temp issues for a daily driver. I really do not tow but, taken into consideration that if the need ever arises or a friend needs help I would like to keep that door open.

3. Leave the stock injectors and charger and stack a Smarty S03 on top of the COMP only using even numbers on the Smarty. This would be the easiest and the cheapest with it being a plug and play.

4. Buy a PDR hybrid for (675.00) which will allow me up to 350hp with enough air and fuel. Then I could do the Mach II injectors with the COMP box. Eventually requiring a new clutch down the road.

I am not afraid of installing injectors or charger but, I would probably opt to either ask for assistance or at least a second set of eyes that is familiar with removal and installation of injectors.

So many opinions and options..... I would like the ultimate goal to be a nice, clean, efficient running setup with 400-425hp. I know opinions will vary with each option I have listed. Some have experience first hand, others from what they have read. I know there are many other options besides for Mach injectors for the price but, everything I have read points me back to them with running the cleanest and efficient running options. Please continue for anyone who has suggestions or comments. I continue to read the comments to this thread and always willing to consider my options. I am probably looking at making a move by the end of the summer.

K
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 PM

I to have the same problem with the PACBREAK and stock turbo. Except i allready have another truck with a phat shaft 62 and ddp110's that I want to swap with but I don't want to give up the PAC. How much is an inline break
Old 07-04-2013, 12:14 AM

According to PacBrake if you are just needing the exhaust brake itself around $800-850.00. A complete kit is $400-500.00 more. I decided for the time being that I am going to stack the edge comp with a smarty but, first spending the 4th replacing steering components. Thankfully they are MOOG replacement with lifetime warranty.