Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AEM vs K & N "grudge match"!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM vs K & N "grudge match"!

OK, as one of the newbies here trying to make the right choice on air filters for a stock 2002 Dodge diesel, I have read all the threads on this topic and the general opinion is: AEM filters better than K & N and costs about the same.
Everyone agree to this?
Also, from the sounds of advice on shift kits, a mild PSI upgrade in that dept. would help the tranny and the mpg also.
(sigh)...maybe someday the little woman will let me hop this baby up a bit.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:56 PM

Here is some good information about filters and quality... Even the K&N is listed in the testing... It doesn't fair good for K&N or UNI either... These two might have the best flow but also have the highest amount of dirt passed!

Read for yourself...
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Old 01-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Banned

jaxworks,

Do yourself and your trucks engine a favor and take a lok at the AFE Pro Guard 7 fliters. They are specifically designed for diesel use, a typical 4 layer gauze filter will let in a lot of dirt on a turboed diesel engine. Check out www.progurad7.com or call us for more info.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 01-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Too bad that link you posted is about a filter for a dmax and does not test the two layer UNI that I provide for my intakes.

Mark, you got someone else posting that for you now?

Scotty
Old 01-29-2006, 08:42 PM

I had a whole bunch of link on testing the K&N and I finally dumpped them all. Well I got a PM from a user asking about the BHAF. Well I started digging for those links again. That's what I turned up in about 15 minutes on Google. There is several web sites that tested K&N and most of them show poorly on K&N...
Old 01-29-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello my name is Copenhagenjunkie,

I have been a closet K/N user for 5 yrs (not listed in sig)
I have finally seen the light well.. (dirt/oil on my turbo fins) and finally tossed the piece of crap.

Gosh I feel better.

Thank you.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Banned

I ran a K&N cone for a little more than a year and when I changed my compressor today you should have seen the black carmalized gooey crap in the compressor and on the back plate. The only thing that comes to mind is excess K&N oil. My brother got...DIESEL? had the same build up only thicker. Nasty stuff it is, looks like black melted plastic. I will be using an AEM Dryflow shortly.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:17 PM

Of course everything we read on the web is the absolute truth. With that said, I do have to say I don't care for K&N any more, ever since buying a cone filter for my Jeep Cherokee, which had some blowby. Well the slight drip of oil that ran down to the filter from the breather hose caused the K&N to disolve, so my expensive cone filter was junk in a matter of a few months.

Jim
Old 01-30-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aem

I order the AEM dry flow filter today w/prefilter. I just ordered the filter & I'm going to make the torque tube and the heat shield. I don't think the tube is worth $200.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:47 PM

Love my cone K&N, and it cost me $50 less than an AFE(for just the filters). I did buy a nice K&N foam prefilter to put on mine since im in dust plenty in the summer, and like the extra insurance of the prefilter, but i have never had any oil on my turbo blades and when my other turbo died and i pulled it apart; it was also clean. I think either people just dont know how to clean filter's, or just get carried away with the "K&N is junk" stuff. If i wanted to spend the $, I would have went with the Scotty no questions asked, but I only have $50 in the filter(about $30 of that was gift cards), and $20 in the prefilter. I feel like especially with the prefilter that it will filter as good or better as the other filters do since most dont run a prefilter anyway. Ill keep running my Junk K&N that does great.

Eric
Old 01-31-2006, 08:34 AM

Are the negative results with the K&N mainly with the drop ins or the conicals too. Is this a filtration issue or an issue of filter seal in the stock box?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Banned

I have run my K&N Cone filter for over 100,000 dusty farm use miles now. I have always looked for this buildup of dust and oil on the turbo that is talked about, but have yet to find it. I was to cheap to buy a pre filter for mine so an old pair of panty hose has worked for a long time now to keep grass and leaves out of the pleates, and it works great. I think most people just tend to way over oil these things without letting them dry completely. I for one am a satisfied K&N Cone Filter user. Cannot comment on the OEM replacement type, never used one.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Chapter President

Although I don't run a Scotty system, I do love the UNI. I've been running the UNI in my truck for over two years.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Banned

Come on guys! more fuel = more air!

How many of you that have been running any sort of K&N have big injectors???? I bet most that have non stock injectors have had the oil problem. Larger than stock injectors creates the need for more air creating more suction on the filter thus potentially pulling the oil off the filter.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Banned

I run the RV275's and Comp Drag. If you don't over do it on the oil and let it dry there is nothing to pull off the filter. This has been as big an ongoing battle as the oil debate though. You either like them or don't, In IMO there is no right or wrong answer just different ways of looking at it.

Quick Reply: AEM vs K & N "grudge match"!