Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Adjustable BOOST ELBOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD and Bullydog both make one. I have the TST one, works great.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:33 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Does anyone other than TST make one?

Yes we do make one. They work well. PM me for pricing.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by AlanF
I will be installing an adrenaline and some stage 2 injectors hopefully this week. I think I also will need to come up with some kind of boost elbow to let the HX35 build more boost. .
Alan
You should not need to add anything. Your new fueling level will spool your turbo well up there.
I would be more concerned about over boosting!JMO.
I woiuld wait and see how much boost you get before doing anything.

RJ
Old 12-30-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
You should not need to add anything. Your new fueling level will spool your turbo well up there.
I would be more concerned about over boosting!JMO.
I woiuld wait and see how much boost you get before doing anything.

RJ
The wastegate on the stock HX and HY35's are set to around 21psi. If he is able to create enough exhaust volume to allow the HY to overcome the the wastegate, he should really be looking at upgrading the turbo.

Isn't the choke hold of the HY35 around 29psi? So if you do get a J-hook, don't need to exceed this number.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:14 PM

AlanF has an HX-35. Adrenaline will give him a boost fooler.
I was assuming he will overpower the wastgate... but maybe not enough to get to 32 psi. (top edge of turbo Map).

Adjustable MBC may be required not sure (can't remember)

RJ
Oops, forgot he had the HX.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM

then what would be the benefit of the boost controller. sounds the same as the elbo
Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by STACKED
then what would be the benefit of the boost controller. sounds the same as the elbo
With the HX and HY Turbos, the waste gate is mechanical. The boost elbow (used on HX's, the J-Hook is used on HY's) is to adjust the boost ("flow") going to the wastegate actuator on the turbo, thus creating more boost when flow is restricted to the wastegate.

A Boost Fooler is used to trick the ECM so that it does not see the increased boost through the MAP Sensor. You can be reading 28psi at the intake, however the ECM will only see 19psi lets say (or whatever the Fooler is set at). This keeps the engine fueling the same, instead of defueling and throwing an over boost code.

(Note, adding a boost elbow and boost fooler to a stock truck, without added fuel won't do much at all for power increase).
Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by STACKED
Basically the same. MBC's are more easily adjusted... +/- 1 psi.

RJ
Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM

Basically the same. MBC's are more easily adjusted... +/- 1 psi.

RJ
That's what I thought thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 03:33 PM

Ive read this whole thread but am still wondering....I have a Juice/attitude (bought used) without the VP tapped. My boost elbow is on its way from Edge. Will the addition of the elbow do anything for me since the VP is not tapped? The most boost I have seen is 18 or 19 pulling a trailer.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by mudwisr2
Ive read this whole thread but am still wondering....I have a Juice/attitude (bought used) without the VP tapped. My boost elbow is on its way from Edge. Will the addition of the elbow do anything for me since the VP is not tapped? The most boost I have seen is 18 or 19 pulling a trailer.

The elbow wont do much for you with the boost you are producing. You aren't getting enough boost to open the wastegate as it is, so unless you tap the wire and start making some more boost there really isn't a need for it. It delays the opening of the wastegate and if you arent opening the wastegate anyways...

Is there a reason you haven't tapped the wire yet? You can do it with one of our stealth covers and it hides the connection under the pump cover. Then you can take full advantage of all the different power levels.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Little more air, but with no added fuel will make no difference, unless it is functioning like an EZ??

RJ
Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by mudwisr2
When my truck was stock I only saw 19 PSI max, which I would assume is the wastegate functioning and allowing no more. As soon as I added my boost elbow and XZT+, I could easily get 25+. But being as the XZT+ doesn't add too much fuel compared to other modules, I left it around 25 WOT.

Once you add the boost fooler, the little extra boost, lets say like 22ish should help a bit in power. But as the above guys said, if you really want to wake up the truck, tap the wire and adjust boost accordingly