Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

4000 Gsk

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4000 Gsk

I was looking at a manual BD has online showing how to install a 3K GSK. It did not look too complicated. Then, on another site I was looking at a 4K spring kit which I know also includes the heavy duty valve springs, but the site pretty much reccomended a diesel tech do the work, said something like "definitely not for the home mechanic". Whats the big deal ? Is replacing the valve springs tough ? Reckon this was just a standard disclaimer ?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Abbynormal
I was looking at a manual BD has online showing how to install a 3K GSK. It did not look too complicated. Then, on another site I was looking at a 4K spring kit which I know also includes the heavy duty valve springs, but the site pretty much reccomended a diesel tech do the work, said something like "definitely not for the home mechanic". Whats the big deal ? Is replacing the valve springs tough ? Reckon this was just a standard disclaimer ?
Probably just a disclaimer. personally when we did the 4 GSK and valve springs plus heavy duty keepers and retainers it wasn't hard at all. Cummins makes a tool that you can use for the valve springs.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:24 AM
BCB

don't mean to hijack the thrad but i am thinking about a 4gsk the what exactly do the valve do for the motor.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BCB
don't mean to hijack the thrad but i am thinking about a 4gsk the what exactly do the valve do for the motor.

4000 RPM GSK...

cant go wrong there. OK what it does is it allows to you rev hard to 4000 rpms and fuel hard depending on your plate positions and your plate as well. Now the valve springs DO NOT need to be replaced unless you are going to run the truck hard or rev it past 3200 constantly. I have shifted mine with stock valve springs at 3600 on a couple of occasions before.... WOW..

the truck runs like a totally different animal when you do this mod, you will not believe it. If you want a good 4K kit, get one from mike at www.hotroddiesels.com, he has the best prices for them......

As far as difficulty? i wont lie i had my moments, but it was well worth it. And yes, go thru the side of the injector pump its much easier, BUY a little telescoping magnet, it will be your best friend, and also remove that little throttle holding thing by the cap on the side of the pump to facilitate putting the cap back on, if not it will make ur life a livin he**. trust me on that..

BE CAREFUL THO, not to break it, it is antimony, and very difficult metal to weld...

Hope this helps.. hey if i can do it? anyone can....

Rick
Old 03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
As far as difficulty? i wont lie i had my moments, but it was well worth it. And yes, go thru the side of the injector pump its much easier, BUY a little telescoping magnet, it will be your best friend
Don't wanna argue with ya Rick, as you know way more than I do but I found it pretty easy to do mine from the top with a telescoping magnet. Once I was into the pump it only took me around an hour. not sure exactly how long, as I time the whole weekend. 10 hours (while drinking Shiner) to do everything.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:57 PM

Hey, that's how I keep up with my weekend. Not what time is it, but how many beers are left !
Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Don't wanna argue with ya Rick, as you know way more than I do but I found it pretty easy to do mine from the top with a telescoping magnet. Once I was into the pump it only took me around an hour. not sure exactly how long, as I time the whole weekend. 10 hours (while drinking Shiner) to do everything.

No argument at all

I did mine thru the side, Because i didnt wanna drop anything in the pump, i was terrified of it. Because of that fear it took me longer to do it and I had lost one of the dang shims and couldnt find it either, HEnce moment one, It was suck between the suspension arms, how i pulled that off i dont know, but it took me an hour or so to find it... Also the other moment, not the removal, but the puttin back of that antimony thing UGH!!!!

Anyways, i have done one more GSK since then and i am proud to say that with a magnet, and good light it only took me about 1.5 hours.... so it wasnt all bad....

Its one of those things that the more you do the better at it you get. I still mess around with mine alot, and so far at measurements of .55 or so i can get the truck to fire at half a turn, and my idle is flawless, i had to tweak the idle screw maybe 50-100 rpms max to get mine in, the second time i hit it right on...

Just wanted to share my experience...

Tx
Old 03-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Its one of those things that the more you do the better at it you get. I still mess around with mine alot, and so far at measurements of .55 or so i can get the truck to fire at half a turn, and my idle is flawless, i had to tweak the idle screw maybe 50-100 rpms max to get mine in, the second time i hit it right on...

Just wanted to share my experience...

Tx
Now I wanna mess with mine some more. I need to bump my idle up a hair... And it sounds like I ought to tighten my springs another click (I'm at .63)

And thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Now I wanna mess with mine some more. I need to bump my idle up a hair... And it sounds like I ought to tighten my springs another click (I'm at .63)

And thanks for sharing your experience.

Just sharin this with u as well Nick

Sometimes the idle screw will back off to where it was before, this can be dealt with by using WD40 or something that actually knocks gunk off of the screw. Mine had lots of gunk. BUT to tweak it i used two 10 mm wrenches, both of them stubby, and I have had no issues, i have placed my idle screw where i wanted it, cleaned the threads on screw itself as well and tightened the other one to hold it in place, no issues yet...

Try tightening the springs another click, By the way, you know u went too far on the springs if you get "hanging RPMS" where they will drop slowly or hang at a certain RPM.... that is ur cue to back off a click or two..

Just my two cents

Rick