Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Was wondering ........

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Sounds like my town...

But yes, in general, it seems as if everyone these days feel they are entitled to have anyone but themselves provide for them. Its sicking really.

But then again I was raised differently and its expected that one should have morals, ethical values, and a little self pride.
For the longest time, where I live, the city homes were cheaper then a nice acreage or buying a farm. Our home went up over 4 times the value it was last time we looked at selling. Things are a bit more stable in Saskatchewan then most places but the high cost of homes here makes buying a vacant repo in the USA appealing. However, my wife and I talked about that and it gives us a bit of a bad feeling to go south and take advantage of that kind of a loss to people and help the banks that got the bailouts. I would think about that more then the 'deal' I made.

Right now I can go to the ghost towns of agriculture up here and make a real nice deal on a big piece of land. I plan to get a nice chunk of land in and around the forest line to the north. Its yet another sad reality of how things are. I think I would still feel a bit bad about this but at least the prices have not plummeted and nor have our banks been bailed out.

Today there was a hot dog sale outside the local grocery store and the kids are working trying to raise money for their band trip. Some messed up [censored] showed up trying to 'take' some food and was yelling about his rights and his land. I was just about to try and pick him up and walk him around the corner when two other guys lead him away. Turns out this guy has a two bdrm apartment and gets all his money from welfare. One of the guys that lead him away told me this and then I watched as the dude stumbled to the lane and towards the apartment block ranting about how mean everyone is to him. He is an example of getting everything served on a platter...its a learned behavior that is spreading at an alarming rate.

Sometimes the word 'cleanse' goes through my mind. Whoops.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hm... living in indian territory, I have seen that one before. Not often, but they are the ones that you remember. Just let them go and assume the next guy isn't like that until he proves otherwise.
there are a couple other towns near here I could live in, but I choose to live in this town because of the cost of living. My salary is almost 1-1/2 times the average local household income. The price I pay for a low cost of living.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is part of how our country is degenerating.

Look at the airlines, going to the movies, weddings and funerals. Folks will hardly dress up to go to any of these either.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa
I think it is part of how our country is degenerating.

Look at the airlines, going to the movies, weddings and funerals. Folks will hardly dress up to go to any of these either.
I have taken a flight or two. Heck, Ive even been on a train and a couple ferries. It doesn't matter how poor the country is, outside the US, people will dress like they are going out into the public.
I have seen Americans on flights in ratty t-shirts, shorts, and flip flips like they were going to the beach for a couple hours. granted, being treated like cargo doesn't make the flights any better.
The only place I have seen guys regularly wearing sandals was on a ferry between Singapore and Batam, but that is because almost everyone there wears sandals or work boots.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 426 Likes on 326 Posts
We sold our Republic for this democracy?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM

While I agree that we (as a nation) don't need to be going into public looking like a warmed over bag of bungholes (Walmart pics)... I don't believe that suits, ties and a top hat (Mayberry, USA) are necessary either.

There can be a happy medium that allows for the priviledge we deserve but also the freedom from having someones butt crack staring us in the face when they bend over or having our burger served to us by some kid who lost a wrestling match to a nail gun.

Lived in the tropics for a good portion of my adult life, so a more casual dress code is not a big thing .... but there is definately a time and place to look presentable and it really isn't that hard to distinguish when, where and why.

It's all about a lack of respect. Respect for others, our country and for ourselves.

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 07-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 426 Likes on 326 Posts
What gets me is our homeless people in Alaska dress better than "walmart" people do. They may be broke, but they are not broke down.