Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

what gun?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredBCS
how much are glocks?
check out www.topglock.com.

i bought mine with night sights, and an internal laser for $850-900...laser was like a $350 mistake.

i always have mine with me and it has 16 rounds in it. theres another mag in the truck along with atleast 200 rds of spare ammo. i never know when i want to hit the range for a little bit

brett
Old 06-26-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by clutch1
Daisy, with pump action.....
i dont want to poke my eye out
Old 06-26-2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
check out www.topglock.com.

theres another mag in the truck along with atleast 200 rds of spare ammo. i never know when i want to hit the range for a little bit

brett
or take a brinks truck........
Old 06-26-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would vote for a revolver. A Ruger or used S&W in 38+P or, better, a .44 mag / spl will be sufficient. Now, having said that my carry pistol is Ruger P345, in .45 it was like $360 new. I love it, never jammed with factory ammo; but a revolver is more reliable. You can always look around and find a .44 spl revolver in a pawn shop for around $300. For truck cab, it does not need to be a small gun, unless you plan also to carry it on your person.
If you want cheap, get a CZ52 or CZ82, they are like $120. The 52 is very loud though, high velocity .30 caliber round.
-P
Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 PM

This reminds me of a sign I once saw above the bench in a gun shop: "You can have it: Cheap, Fast, Good: Pick two."
If you want it Cheap and fast it won't be good.
If you want it cheap and good, you won't get it fast,
If you want it good and fast it won't be cheap.
Since you are potentially protecting yourself, your life, do NOT go cheap. If you want a compact, solid firearm, that has the quality to hold together, shoot well, repeat shoot without jamming, and fit yoiur hand well, is a breeze to shoot naturally under stress, you need to do some homework.
Most threads on any board that discusses buying a firearm, suggests going to a range,a nd renting a few. Not a bad idea, but I also suggest going to a good shop, and without listening to the "War Stories" try a few for fit, and handling, and ease of management, accessability to controls (safety, hammer drop, mag drop, hammer (if present).
After finding several that fit, are easy for you to handle, then write those names down, and rent them at the range to shoot, both rapid fire, slow fire, and with mag changes or cylinder reloads. Give yourself a real workout or several occaisions.
As too recomendation, get them from people you know and trust as not being posturing macho numbskulls. Lots of people have opinions as to what is the "best" carry firearm. A lot of that is based on eronious concepts, like biggest, most powerful, most concealable, as well as simple prejudice, like 1911 purists, Glockaholics, and other slanted biases. Try to cut straight though to the facts.
I like to start with a caliber (based on what I am going to do), then go with which firearm fits, in that caliber, and which size dimensions I need to what type of concealment.
Do your homework.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Ouch Hank, you had to add us 1911 lovers in there........

Seriously, that is the best post I have seen in a long while.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1911s are great because they are thin and just cool all around... But you can't get a good one for cheap.

I have a match grade Dan Wesson PM7 and love it to death but I wouldn't carry it... I like it too much and wouldn't want to take a chance at scratching it .

Anyway since Hank gave some good advice so I'll give some advice my shooting instructor gave about a carry weapon. He had a method where the would "clock" a gun and fire it... Fire it at the 12 o'clock position, the 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 12 o'clock etc... I can't remember the exact order anymore but he said the order he used would put some type of stress on the gun and make it more prone to FTL and FTE so it's worth looking up. He would do it for 100 rounds rapid limp wristing it, if the gun hiccuped at all he would try to fix it and if he couldn't he wouldn't carry it! I did like 50 rounds in my Sig and it did fine.... I think this is a great method he used on his cheaper guns he left in his jeep IIRC.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know much about guns compared to most of the guys on here, but I was impressed with the Taurus revolvers.

I'd get a compact Taurus revolver: well-made and cheap.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by HOHN
I don't know much about guns compared to most of the guys on here, but I was impressed with the Taurus revolvers.
I'd get a compact Taurus revolver: well-made and cheap.
I too have a Taurus 38 in SS that is very concealable and dependable. It is not my normal carry piece at this time since I have started shooting 1911's though. No muss no fuss no slide or nothing. Just point and pull. Depends on what you want I guess. I use to carry a Ruger GP 100 in SS but it was also like a sledge hammer on my side and as dependable too.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The original "Point & Click" interface.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Administrator

There you go, short and simple.
(well except for the need to install the cap, clean the bore, dump in the powder, drop in the patch and ball, ram the ball and patch home to seat, install the flash over sealer, and then hope the cap is placed right so it will go off and hope it ain't warm enough for the flash over sealer to melt out, pheeeew, thank Colt for modern pistols eh)
Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

I got a little taurus 40 that was cheap $325...works well so far and I just keep it in my console...that way if I lose it it's not the end of the world. Pretty compact as well...
Old 06-27-2007, 02:30 PM

personally, i love my springfield xd 45 acp. and my S&W .357 revolver. however they both have different uses.