Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What does everyone think about Texas and the Southwest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does everyone think about Texas and the Southwest?

I might be making a career move to the Southwest. There are positions available in Arizona, California, Texas, and New Mexico. Hint Hint it's a job really close to the borders. I was thinking of doing Law Enforcement locally until this fell in my lap as an option. What do you think a farm/country boy from Ohio would like or dislike about these areas. I ask since I havent been many places outside of Ohio, MI, PA, and some of New England.

I like the idea of no subzero winters, although I dont know if I want to live in the desert. I figured out of the 4 Texas would be the most 'country/farm' style of them. Enlighten me.

-Dustin-
Old 04-02-2008, 12:28 AM
I think I can... I think...

No place but TEXAS!!
There are other places that I enjoy...Anywhere in the Rockies, Hawaii, St Petersburg Florida but Texas is the only place that I would want to live.
You won't like the Aug. heat but most of the rest of the yr is GREAT!
Crazy winters. One day it may be push 80 the next day in the 30s.
Have you heard the Tune, "Come Back to Texas"? It says it all.
Nothin Wrong with Ohio but the Mexican food sux north of here Anyway!!
As a matter of fact I haven't found any decent mexican food ANYWHERE outside of the GREAT STATE of TEXAS!!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 AM

you know I can't pass on this...

I would find Texas a little to confining...but if I recall it is a little bigger than Ohio.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:43 AM

I think New Mexico is the best state in the U.S. But the borders in any of these states are the worst part of the state, except an area in Arizona. In Arizona south of Sierra Vista from Nogales to Naco is pretty nice. You have the mountains in that area and some good hunting. Some lakes to go fishing in. Lots of ranches in that area too. The Buenos Aires national wildlife refuge is just a little west of Nogales. The refuge is really nice, and tons of illegals crossing there. They closed the very southern part of the refuge and it might still be closed. I dont even go hunting in the refuge anymore because of all the activity. Last time I went I was watching some Coues deer, all hell broke loose, deer scattered, illegals running everywhere, and helicopters were flying really low. But southern Arizona is a really nice place, not as hot as some of the other parts either. If you could live in Patagonia, thats where I would look at living. Sierra Vista would also be a nice place to live. If your looking for a ranch/farm area, you would really like southern Arizona. No humidity like Texas either. Temps are probably a little cooler then the border in Texas too. Patagonia and Sierra Vista in the summer usually stays below 90 degrees.

If you want to move to Texas, I would look at the far southern part. The border area where the gulf of mexico, Mexico, and Texas meet is pretty nice.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:10 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Having spent time extensively in all of those states over the years, I would pick New Mexico or Arizona. Being from Colorado, I'm not a big fan of Texas. Of course, that's the way it's supposed to be
Old 04-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm partial to Texas, of course I was born and raised here. I happen to thing the trucks and the girls are prettier here than anywhere else.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
I ask since I havent been many places outside of Ohio, MI, PA, and some of New England..... Enlighten me.

-Dustin-
Wow .... are you ever going to have some culture shock !! It's gonna be like night and day. The people are different that those up northeast..... and how do you feel about snakes & scorpions ??

All in all, it's a nice part of the world. Good luck with your new venture.

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 AM

Im all for Texas. From what the others said about the girls and trucks. Cant argue with that at all. Who wouldnt wanna live where hot chicks drive lifted trucks??? Good luck with youre move!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:39 AM

I am from Texas but never lived on the border. I spent six years in Yuma, Az and loved every minute of it. Small town, great fishing, great food, beautiful winters and plenty to do all around. That is the only place on earth I would consider living other than Texas. If you like to hunt, fish and enjoy the outdoors, I say Arizona because of the vast amount of public land available for use. Living in Texas, if you dont have land to hunt on or money for a lease, you wont be doing it. Just my opinion. Probably going to get some flak for that, but I have been gone for 10 years and still call Texas home, it just isnt where I live.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Being a born and raised Texan, I'd say you should pick Arizona, California or New Mexico. We've already got too many "foreigners" migrating to Texas as it is. Apparently the word is out.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:42 AM

I would say either Texas or Arizona. Being from Texas I would say that I am partial to Texas, but I have family in New Mexico and as far as that goes if you don't want desolate desert then don't go to New Mexico. I haven't lived in Arizona but I have been there enough times to say it wouldn't be a bad place to live other than it's too close to Cali. I would say keep as far away from Cali as possible IMO. Good luck on making your decision...
Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Ohio farm boy eh? Put your kids in private school IMO. Border areas will be ripe with gang violence/influences.... Or at least be aware of that.

Any of those places would be nice though. Weather will be nice and lots of open spaces.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Administrator
Having spent time extensively in all of those states over the years, I would pick New Mexico or Arizona. Being from Colorado, I'm not a big fan of Texas. Of course, that's the way it's supposed to be
Sorry about that
Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
I might be making a career move to the Southwest. There are positions available in Arizona, California, Texas, and New Mexico. Hint Hint it's a job really close to the borders. I was thinking of doing Law Enforcement locally until this fell in my lap as an option. What do you think a farm/country boy from Ohio would like or dislike about these areas. I ask since I havent been many places outside of Ohio, MI, PA, and some of New England.

I like the idea of no subzero winters, although I dont know if I want to live in the desert. I figured out of the 4 Texas would be the most 'country/farm' style of them. Enlighten me.

-Dustin-
Border Patrol or Customs and Border Protection?

If I was looking for a federal law enforcement career, these are some of the last places I would look. They are part of DHS, which is one of the most dysfunctional departments in the federal bureaucracy. There are other reasons why those jobs suck, compared to other federal LE jobs. Hint: The plum assignments for Border Patrol agents are on the Canadian border.

Where I would look is ATF, DEA, FBI, NNSA, and BDS.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you're a farm boy, I would set my sights to texas or new mexico. I mainly like texas cause you don't have to drive out of state to see some different terrain, mountains, desert, rolling hills of the hill country, flatlands up west, snow up north in the winter, JMO. i was born and raised here, just don't feel there is anywhere else better, this is home, and the girls are SMOKIN hot!!!

Quick Reply: What does everyone think about Texas and the Southwest?