Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:30 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11

Have a nice fire going in the fireplace - - hot beverages on the counter including HOT chocolate, HOT applecider, HOT coffee, HOT ph00, HOT tea - - all there to warm your the cockles of your heart (whatever they are???). Come, grab a HOT one, sit by the fire and purge yourself of the shivers.

Grabbing my ph00 and heading out. ........................

Ya'll be good.

Bob
Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Back in the good old days (50's) when coal stokers were being replaced with primitive oil burners, sometimes one would malfunction and fill up the way oversized combustion chamber with oil mist. If it then ignited it blew off the door and smoke stack, maybe split the heat exchanger, and usually went on to burn the house down.

If you happened to be looking in when it happened, it looks like a ghost growing out of the burner. If the ghost lit, you'd lose your mind. (literally)
I see. Makes sense.

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
When we switched our homeowners over to USAA, they questioned us about our boiler.. if it had been oil fired, they would not have insured us. Not sure why, but they have no problem with our 30 yr old gas boiler, even knowing I ran the gas lines and such myself, and they have never been "inspected"...go figure...
That's the lack of common sense that runs rampant these days. The insurance company that sponsors our program told me they don't give discounts to homeowners with residential sprinkler systems because when one head goes off, they ALL go off and make a water problem that's more costly than a fire.

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
... since it got so hard to load this site (Top - I didn't get into it with you last week but everything on my iPad is up to date and the only way I can get the site to load reliably is by buying an iOS browser that blocks ads - this site is the ONLY reason I had to buy a new browser).

Originally Posted by FiverBob
- all there to warm your the cockles of your heart
You leave our cockles out of the breakroom!

Morning all. 29 degrees here and heavy, wet snow. Going to be -20 tomorrow and Tuesday and possibly heavy rain by next weekend.

It is Sunday, January 5th.

1781 - Richmond, VA, was burned by a British naval expedition led by Benedict Arnold.

1885 - The Long Island Railroad Company became the first to offer piggy-back rail service which was the transportation of farm wagons on trains.

1896 - It was reported by The Austrian newspaper that Wilhelm Roentgen had discovered the type of radiation that became known as X-rays.

1914 - Ford Motor Company announced that there would be a new daily minimum wage of $5 and an eight-hour workday.

1925 - Mrs. Nellie Taylor Ross was sworn in as the governor of Wyoming She was the first female governor in the U.S.

1933 - Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge began.

1940 - The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) got its very first demonstration of FM radio.

1961 - "Mr. Ed" debuted. The show would run for six years.

1972 - U.S. President Richard M. Nixon ordered the development of the space shuttle.

1987 - U.S. President Ronald Reagan underwent prostate surgery.

1993 - The state of Washington executed Westley Allan Dodd. It was America's first legal hanging since 1965. Dodd was an admitted child sex killer.

1998 - U.S. Representative Sonny Bono died in skiing accident.

2002 - A 15 year-old student pilot, Charles Bishop, crashed a small plane into a building in Tampa, FL. Bishop was about to begin a flying lesson when he took off without permission and without an instructor.

Today's thought:
How many a man has thrown up his hands at a time when a little more effort, a little more patience would have achieved success.

TOB&F today!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:37 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Good morning DTR world. Hey uncle Bob, you dun reel gud, reel gud, with all the Hot stuff here this morning. Even a fire. Why did we need that too? Wasn't the dragon enough, or does it have the winter chills? I will take you up on your offer and grab a cup, or even two and chill out for short while.

Sorry to see that so many of you are still suffering with all that c-o-l-d and
s-n-o-w. I have trouble even saying those words. Probably Bob and Shorts do too. May things warm up for all of youse soon - or even sooner.

Had a great day yesterday. The sun was shining, brilliant blue sky and only a few puffy clouds to briefly blot out the sun. Came back home with a slight sunburn and very tired. Need to go out in about an hour to finish offloading the truck. Working at a 8,000 foot altitude in clean air seems to make me tired.

Had to laugh to my step son and his fiancee yesterday. They wanted to build a fire, so told them to go ahead. They are city slickers. First, they asked me if I had any gas to help start the fire. Then they wanted paper. Told them to gather old pine needles and dry wood. They eventually got a fire going and it went out. So they started again and battled over it for about 30 minutes and only had a very weak fire. I then told them that we would have a fire building competition. I gathered my own materials, built up the wood and kindling properly and with one match quickly had a blaze going. This took me about 10 minutes. They learned a good lesson from that.

The sun is starting to shine on a partially cloudy morning. Looks like another great day starting. Hope the rest of you have a good Sunday, even if it is a chilly and breezy one.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning DTR! Yep, cold, cold, cold.......even here in Texas. 19* tomorrow morning and 13* Tuesday morning!!! Not looking forward to it at all. Hope everyone is having a somewhat productive day.....very S...L...O...W at work this morning. Gonna be a very long day.

Everyone stay safe and all you northerners stay warm. Wife is flying into Minneapolis Friday morning.....hope it goes well. I'd hate to have a reason to take off work if her flights get delayed!!

Later.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Did I ever mention I hate company travel? Bad enough playing sardine for several hour and playing prisoner in a concentration camp otherwise known as an airport. Now let me tell you about the rental car. 2014 Dodge Charger with 300 miles on it. First thing I asked is where is the key? No, this is it. Where do you stick it? No, you push a button. What? Have a safe trip. Okay, here I sit wondering WTH! Here is a computer screen with windows 8 on it. Did I ever mention I hate windows 8? All I want to know is how to turn the darn defroster on. Finally, after my 2 hour drive to Corvallis was done I had figured out the basics: CC, head lights, heater, and finally the radio. Good thing it came on to a good old 70's R&R station. Now the hotel room,,,,, oops gotta run, free breakfast. Later!
I'm back. My first comment when I walked into the dining room was "I'm glade I don't have a hang over". There was this infomercial on the TV about a 90 second face lift. The room was full of high school girls. They told me they were in town for a swim meet. I told them we have those in Alaska too, but usually involve a polar bear.
Back to the room. The pillows occupied 70% of the bed. Why so many pillows? The water to the sink is hook up backwards, waited for hours and it never got hot so I gave up and flipped it over to cold. A few minuted later it slowly got hot, better than at home! 57 channels and nothing on the TV. Had to turn down the heat in the room, they had it set for 65.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks like we are only getting a tiny bit of snow. Rain and then -1 to -10 depending on who you listen to. Looks like ice for me. I hate ice. Living at thee end of a rural line almost guarantees we loose power.
Have a good one and stay safe.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:13 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by cougar
Did I ever mention I hate company travel? Bad enough playing sardine for several hour and playing prisoner in a concentration camp otherwise known as an airport. Now let me tell you about the rental car. 2014 Dodge Charger with 300 miles on it. First thing I asked is where is the key? No, this is it. Where do you stick it? No, you push a button. What? Have a safe trip. Okay, here I sit wondering WTH! Here is a computer screen with windows 8 on it. Did I ever mention I hate windows 8? All I want to know is how to turn the darn defroster on. Finally, after my 2 hour drive to Corvallis was done I had figured out the basics: CC, head lights, heater, and finally the radio. Good thing it came on to a good old 70's R&R station. Now the hotel room,,,,, oops gotta run, free breakfast. Later!
I'm back. My first comment when I walked into the dining room was "I'm glade I don't have a hang over". There was this infomercial on the TV about a 90 second face lift. The room was full of high school girls. They told me they were in town for a swim meet. I told them we have those in Alaska too, but usually involve a polar bear.
Back to the room. The pillows occupied 70% of the bed. Why so many pillows? The water to the sink is hook up backwards, waited for hours and it never got hot so I gave up and flipped it over to cold. A few minuted later it slowly got hot, better than at home! 57 channels and nothing on the TV. Had to turn down the heat in the room, they had it set for 65.

Sure can relate to your travel troubles. Now go and travel in China and that part of the world where you have the Chinese pushing themselves in front of you at the check in counters, line ups at restaurants, getting on board the aircraft with oversize baggage that should have been checked and other irritating activities. Hate people who do not respect personal space. Then add to the aggravation of delayed flights, bad announcements, sudden and last minute gate changes and lost luggage.

First thing I do in all hotel rooms is throw all the pillows except one in the corner of the room. Then reset the thermostat. Then try to figure out the hotel internet connection.

More and more I am hating air travel. It used to be fun, but every year lately it is getting more unpleasant. Got a long personal international trip lined up for March ( Mexico to South Africa) and NOT looking forward to the travel. My wife and I have decided that in future, as much as possible that we will stick with exploring Mexico by car or by bus. Bus travel in Mexico is not a problem and quite comfortable and cheap.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mornin. I hope everyone had a good New Year. We went on 'vacation' to the in-laws... that crap isn't happening again. On top of that, everyone got a stomach bug... I lucked out and didn't get it too bad, but the rest of the family did...

I did get my CWP in Florida, tho... just have to send off the paperwork. Got to shoot my new 7MM magnum, that thing is a beast!

I feel for you guys up north... it was 81 in Vero Beach while we were there, we actually went to the beach. It's in the 30s here in Columbia, cold again...

Hope everyone has a good week! Be safe, stay warm...
Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 AM

Stopping back in with a word of caution: One of the neighbors lost everything to a house fire last night. The only thing they found this morning worth saving was a couple pictures of their kids. No one was home, so everyone safe except for the pets. They had a wood stove and expect the chimney either caught fire or cracked. I know folks will be burning the fires with this cold coming, but take a moment and think before you build a huge fire. Is your chimney safe? Do you have working smoke and CO monitors? Be safe out there...
Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by sherod
Stopping back in with a word of caution: One of the neighbors lost everything to a house fire last night. The only thing they found this morning worth saving was a couple pictures of their kids. No one was home, so everyone safe except for the pets. They had a wood stove and expect the chimney either caught fire or cracked. I know folks will be burning the fires with this cold coming, but take a moment and think before you build a huge fire. Is your chimney safe? Do you have working smoke and CO monitors? Be safe out there...
Working smoke and CO detectors are not much help if something happens when nobody is home. Better as you say to ensure that the chimney etc is safe so that you do nor require any warnings.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geeze Sherod, that sucks. DW and I don't have a wood stove but I even worry about running the gas fireplace for extended periods of time. It is -22F here this morning but thankfully it isn't snowing for a change and the wind has calmed down for the time being. It looks beautiful outside until you actually step outside. Poor little puppy had a hard time doing his business while standing on 3 paws. At these temps frozen pipes are a real concern, even inside a heated house. I just ran around and opened all the doors in the basement and I make a point of running every tap in the house for at least 5 minutes every day. The barn pipes all have heat tape on them once they get above the frost line and until they are far enough up in the barn to be warmed by the barn furnace.

Today will NOT be an outside activity day

Oh yeah, and I go back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks of Christmas vacation. Don't get me wrong, I like my job but I am not a big fan of the 4:40am alarm.

Play safe everyone.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Back from church and ready for lunch. Cougar, cute story. We have owned this "new" car for two years and I still don't know what all the buttons are for. DW has been a Town Car girl for about 25 years - - finally talked her out of it and bought her a new SRX Caddie. The salesperson was showing her all the buttons (she in the driver's seat, he standing outside beside her) and told her to push a certain button. Suddenly he is ducking and running and she is shreaking - - she had hit the windshield washer and blasted him in the face. After two years I still pull my keys out when I get in it - - then look for the key on the ring - - don't have one and nowhere to put it if I did. Just don't hit the electric emergency brake when moving - - it works - - very well.

Hate all the stories about the weather. We have been cool this past week and more for this next week, but cool here is a heat wave for some of you so I won't mention it. Really nasty - - sure glad global warming is working so well. LOL

OK, off to lunch. Glad you liked the goodies, Stan - - good to see you around again.

Bob
Old 01-05-2014, 01:35 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the warm breakroom Bob, howdy Stan, sherod, Tallguy, Justin--nice of you to stop by, .

Originally Posted by chaikwa
they don't give discounts to homeowners with residential sprinkler systems because when one head goes off, they ALL go off and make a water problem
Must be true, I see it in the movies all the time.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Originally Posted by Bark
Snow slid off the roof and woke me up. I have a love/hate relationship with my metal roofing.
Be thankful for that metal roof - - with that much snow up there you would be trying to get that snow OFF the roof before it comes THROUGH the roof Bob
Yeah. I am glad I put it on but I wound up having to put my garage doors on the side with a pitch to it. I went with an 8/12 pitch on that section so not too much snow accumulates before sliding off but occasionally I have had four or more feet of snow suddenly drop in front of the garage.

Originally Posted by cougar
First thing I asked is where is the key? No, this is it. Where do you stick it? No, you push a button.
Rental car last week in Seattle was the same. Seems like carjacking would be easier since the fob just needs to be close to the car to start it. Wonder if the car shuts off if it gets too far from the fob?

Originally Posted by madhat
Got to shoot my new 7MM magnum, that thing is a beast!
Son in-law has one and loves it. I never realized what a hot round that is.
~

This reminds me of waking my son up for school a long time ago.

Hope all you in the cold stuff are doing ok today.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 PM

I can answer the car FOB. The wife's car has one. She had it in her pocket and I dropped her off in front of a store. As I drove away, the car started beeping and worked fine until I shut it off. Everybody was staring and looking at me as I drove to park. Figured somebody would call the LEO's but nope. Wouldn't start till I walked back and got the FOB. Lesson learned.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:53 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TOPEKA HAS CANCELLED THE WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY. A WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM
6 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON CST MONDAY.* WIND CHILL VALUES...TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING WIND CHILL VALUES MAY REACH AS LOW AS 25 TO 30 BELOW.* WIND CHILL IMPACTS...FROST BITE TO EXPOSED SKIN CAN OCCUR IN A MATTER OF MINUTES. PROLONGED EXPOSURE COULD LEAD TO
HYPOTHERMIA OR EVEN DEATH.

I know that aint as cold as some of yall get, but darn it! we aint used to this stuff here!
-6 out right now, went out and checked the critters a bit ago, they seem to be doing ok, tho the heater in the stock tank is barely keeping up, scum of ice across the top of it. Lost a chicken last week to the cold, and am afraid I may loose more, even tho I got a brooder lamp going in the coop.
Stupid birds scratch the straw out of the way and try to bed down on the concrete floor, then act surprised when they freeze to it.

Cant seem to get motivated to do much today, seems like a good day to stay inside and play around on DTR..

Quick Reply: Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11