Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New Year Party Break Room 12/29 - 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:33 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
New Year Party Break Room 12/29 - 1/4

The New Year is sneaking up on you while you are laying there sleeping.
Come join the party. Egg nog, coffee, ph00, hot apple cider, treats all over the place. NO, NO MISTLETOE.

We do have some oversize Depends for the big Canuck, the place is all cleaned up to start the New Year - -wonder how long that will last. BUT, let's party anywho.

OK, my work is done - - grabbing me an egg nog and a goodie and out of here.

Bob
Old 12-29-2013, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mornin' B0b! I've been up since 0500. Still getting used to the boiler so I don't want to go without checking on it at least every 8 hours or so. Whilst checking it this morning I noticed there were 2 cars in the field behind ours to the north, so that kinda side-tracked me for an hour or so. People sure do get surprised when I pop outta the woods 10 feet from them, I don't understand it.

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I think you are so fixated on wanting it to be the forums fault that you are missing what is really going on here. You never had this problem until after Jack and I sold the website so I can see your logic in assuming the site is the issue but lets look at it from a different angle.....

When we owned the place we would not allow our advertisers to run flash or animated banners because we knew it would play havoc on our members still on dial up, now they run all kinds of banners that most likely include Java and Flash to animate them.

If you have an older Java or flash that is not updated properly the browser will likely hang trying to load an ad, your PC is not able to decode it because of the older version of software...it may not have any effect on this other site you frequent because they may not have the type of ad that is messing with you.

This would also explain why it does it not matter where you are located when on the road and the fact that it works some times and not others...could simply be the luck of the ad rotation when you try to log on.

I would attack the situation from the PC end, download the latest Sun Java and Adobe flash and check the browser itself to make sure it is working correctly as well. I got a feeling you may very well fix your issue since the ad blocker Rick had you use seems to help from time to time.
Thanks Lary, I'll check with Michael on installing the Sun Java program to make sure it doesn't conflict with something else before I try it. As for the Adobe, I pulled up that program and found the update button. According to their site there is, (miraculously), no updates to install and I'm running the latest version, (Reader XI). I also have Blio, Kobo, Press Reader and Zinio Reader 4 as redundancies and back ups to Adobe. They aren't running but I can switch to them in place of the Adobe if I choose. Java is release 7 updated 4 days ago.

Today is Sunday, December 29th.

1812 - The USS Constitution won a battle with the British ship HMS Java about 30 miles off the coast of Brazil. Before Commodore William Bainbridge ordered the sinking of the Java he had her wheel removed to replace the one the Constitution had lost during the battle.

1813 - The British burned Buffalo, NY, during the War of 1812.

1837 - Canadian militiamen destroyed the Caroline, a U.S. steamboat docked at Buffalo, NY.

1845 - U.S. President James Polk signed legislation making Texas the 28th state of the United States.

1848 - U.S. President James Polk turned on the first gas light at the White House.

1890 - The U.S. Seventh Cavalry massacred over 400 men, women and children at Wounded Knee Creek, SD. This was the last major conflict between Indians and U.S. troops.

1934 - Japan renounced the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922 and the London Naval Treaty of 1930.

1940 - During World War II, Germany began dropping incendiary bombs on London.

1952 - The first transistorized hearing aid was offered for sale by Sonotone Corporation.

1975 - A bomb exploded in the main terminal of New York's LaGuardia Airport. 11 people were killed.

1997 - Hong Kong began killing 1.25 million chickens, the entire population, for fear of the spread of 'bird flu'.

1998 - Khmer Rouge leaders apologized for the 1970s genocide in Cambodia that claimed 1 million lives. ("We're sorry" ?)

Today's thought:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.

TOB&F Today!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Morning Gang! The BOSS "suggested" I make another batch of cookies last night. There is plenty on the table, help yourself.

Put new front shocks on the D350 yesterday. Glad I have a heat wrench. Axle socket is on order so I can tear into the rear. Fixed the radio, also. Willie playing while using a torch, almost perfect.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 AM

I am really liking this new browser. Acts like firefox used to.
Want to just unhook the trailer by the basement door and unload the truck, but I need to unload the trailer before I can get the jack turned down to unhook it
On a good note though, when it's loaded, it doesn't rock too awful bad, because it's only a couple inches off the stoppers. I wonder if a set of shocks would take some of the rocking out of it when it's empty. They were gone when I got the trailer. It's made from an old 1/4-ton Dodge truck. Someday I might get around to trying to tweak the sides back so a tailgate will fit again.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
Sorry gang, I was dumpster diving behind the break room. I got presents and decorations for next year. AND, New Years dinner!
Swinging back to the cold side at +1°.
Never thought I'd have to disconnect the speedometer cable at the transmission to change a light bulb on the instrument panel. Silly Jeep.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morning Bob, sherod, frmhnd, cougar and others.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
People sure do get surprised when I pop outta the woods 10 feet from them, I don't understand it.
You would if you looked in a mirror. (Sorry, but somebody was going to say it).

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
baby burpers???? I haven't burped a baby in over 16 years...
Getting a big burp out of a baby can be very Satisfying especially if they don't puke on you.
Next time you see a Mom with a baby, take the baby away from her and burp it.
Everybody will enjoy it.

Originally Posted by slevhansen
checked the furnace, and my pelletpress
I didn't know you could make em at home. Is it difficult?

Runny nose, cough, sore throat, achy joints---the Grandkids have done it to me again.
Oh well, I gotta fly home tomorrow so I can spread this stuff to Alaska (sorry cougar).
`
Old 12-29-2013, 01:27 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'sup yall. I feel like wearing a party hat and throwing glitter confetti all over the place.

Easy Sunday going down over here. Hope yall are having a good one too
Old 12-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Stopped in for another cup. Just spent an hour fixing the Grandson's new Airsoft M-4. Barrel was loose and wobbly. Was surprised to find that not only would my barrel wrench fit it, so did my M-68 and all the other goodies. Going to have to look in the armory for more "spare" parts!!
Old 12-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Good afternoon all y'all,
What a beautiful day on the dry side of the Rockies. It is a little cool but the sun has been out all day and barely a breath of wind. DW and I strapped on our snow shoes and took the puppy for a walk on top of our 8ft snow drifts. He is a total spaz in the fresh snow. We pulled the ripcord and brought him in after 30 mins. I am not sure he would tell us when his paws were freezing so the humans have to be the voice of reason.
I have had turkey sandwiches to use up the leftovers for the last 3 days in a row. I think I am done with turkey sandwiches for a while.
It is good to see everyone stopping by now and then.
My poor next door neighbors had a rough Saturday morning. On Friday evening they were at a party a few miles from home and between the tequila and the blinding storm that shut down roads for miles around they decided to make the safe choice and just crash for the night at the party host's house. When they got home Saturday morning, they walked the 600ft up their driveway as it was impassable and I hadn't been up there to plow them out yet. When they go to their house they found it to be cold and humid. It turns out the monster wind we had blew open an improperly latched window in their basement bathroom and the room was half filled with a snow drift with water running around from the water pipes that burst when they froze
When I called them today they were in pretty good spirits. The demo crew the insurance company sent was already there tearing out walls and floors (they only finished the basement about 4 months ago) and once things get dried out it sounds like construction should start within the week. I am not sure I would be so chipper, I guess I need to use them as role models when the next catastrophe strikes here.
Have a good evening everyone, 2013 is almost a memory.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:38 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Good afternoon all y'all,
What a beautiful day on the dry side of the Rockies. It is a little cool but the sun has been out all day and barely a breath of wind. DW and I strapped on our snow shoes and took the puppy for a walk on top of our 8ft snow drifts. He is a total spaz in the fresh snow. We pulled the ripcord and brought him in after 30 mins. I am not sure he would tell us when his paws were freezing so the humans have to be the voice of reason.
I have had turkey sandwiches to use up the leftovers for the last 3 days in a row. I think I am done with turkey sandwiches for a while.
It is good to see everyone stopping by now and then.
My poor next door neighbors had a rough Saturday morning. On Friday evening they were at a party a few miles from home and between the tequila and the blinding storm that shut down roads for miles around they decided to make the safe choice and just crash for the night at the party host's house. When they got home Saturday morning, they walked the 600ft up their driveway as it was impassable and I hadn't been up there to plow them out yet. When they go to their house they found it to be cold and humid. It turns out the monster wind we had blew open an improperly latched window in their basement bathroom and the room was half filled with a snow drift with water running around from the water pipes that burst when they froze
When I called them today they were in pretty good spirits. The demo crew the insurance company sent was already there tearing out walls and floors (they only finished the basement about 4 months ago) and once things get dried out it sounds like construction should start within the week. I am not sure I would be so chipper, I guess I need to use them as role models when the next catastrophe strikes here.
Have a good evening everyone, 2013 is almost a memory.

Hah, I bet your pup is crashed out on the floor now from all the fun. Chester had more fun than he knew what to do with in Japan snow.

That's terrible about your neighbors place. All I could think of was coming home feeling crappy from a hangover to find that mess I probably would have buried my head in a snow drift in and tried to ignore it. Good work has begun on it. I'm sure a sealed place to live is one of those vital things up there this time of year.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Shorts, he was crashed out but he just got up. We went outside for a bathroom break and now he is beating the heck out of his rubber chicken. He has a new favorite way to nap. If I am sitting on the couch, he walks up onto the back of the couch and then drapes himself over my shoulders like a fur stole. He makes sure each of my ears gets a good lick, throws in a lick to my nose for good measure and then falls asleep draped over my shoulders. I think it is just as cute as all get out.

You are correct, a warm and sealed house is pretty important up here at this time of year. The wind was so bad the other night it ripped the top off our patio heater and bent the heater at a 30 degree and in the process. Luckily, it was on its last legs already and we got a replacement from my sister for Christmas. The new heater is sitting in the barn, waiting for spring. I have a 1950's pickup in one of the fields. The wind tore the hood off the old truck and blew it 50 or so feet until it hung up on some fence wires. It was brutal here on Friday night. The wind hit like a wall. I had the bbq on to cook burgers when the wind hit. In the very first gust it blew out the bbq, blew the bbq against the south railing of the deck, blew all of the deck furniture against the bbq and tried to blow the door and stairs away from the hot-tub. I had to brace a 40lb bag of water-softener salt against the hot-tub stairs to keep them in place. Alberta is a crazy place, today is a blue-bird day. A little cold but clear blue skies, barely a breath of wind and lots of sunshine.
It might be an evening for a starlight hot-tub with a glass of wine.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you are surviving the wind and the snow. We fly back up in the morning and than drive from Anchorage back to Nikiski.
Judging by the home cameras we (I) will probably have to walk the last mile from the main road to get the plow truck.
Oh well. Time to blow my nose.
Had all summer to get a new hot tub. I think I am going to regret not getting one.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bark
Judging by the home cameras we (I) will probably have to walk the last mile from the main road to get the plow truck.
What do you have for a home camera system Bark? I'd like to have a few here as where I live is in the rear-most part of the farm. I have a driveway alarm to let me know when someone is coming in the drive, but it'd be nice to be able to see them too. And keep an eye on the wood boiler. And see who is at the front barn. You get the picture!<see what I did there?> It must tie into your computer, right? Remote monitoring would be cool too.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:30 PM

I am starting to get really serious about a home security system. The Saturday before Christmas DW and I believe we were nearly robbed for the second time around Christmas. The first time was 5 years ago and we came home from family Xmas events in the city to find the front door kicked in. To be honest we didn't lose much. We lost a bunch of jewelry, a little bit of cash and a very nice pump action .22lr rifle that my grandfather owned as a child and gave me. Oh yeah and about 500 rounds of .22lr hollow points. The crooks didn't take liquor or any of our electronics. The worst thing was that they took our sense of security. We were robbed while asleep in the house just before we moved here from Calgary. Geeze, most people don't get robbed once in their lifetime, never mind twice and maybe nearly a third time. This episode just before Xmas, the front room was full of Xmas gifts you could see from the front porch but there was no way to see the DW or I were in the house. We heard a clunk out front. We didn't really react because the barn cats make noise in the garage all the time. More than a few seconds (like 30 seconds) after the noise, the doorbell rang. Some dude was parked on my front lawn right by the front door. He said he as looking for Range Rd something and Dalemead. I told him that Dalemead was out the front door and have him directions. Only after he was gone did DW and I realize that there are signs at the end of my 300 ft driveway that give those coordinates. I may be a bit paranoid and I may have mixed a few details with telling of the story but we are 99% sure that if we weren't home we would have been robbed again. I have tried so many wireless driveway alarms but none of them are reliable or give enough warning. I want something that I can rely on and that gives about 500 feet of warning. I suspect I am out of wireless options. If anyone has any good ideas, I am all ears.

Have a good night all y'all.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:38 PM

Ok, I just realized, we were nearly robbed for the third time and I acknowledge that it is WAY pat time to put a locking and remote controllable gate at the end of the driveway. I can get a solar powered remote controllable locking gate at the end of the driveway for about $2k. It is small change for piece of mind but it still ticks me off that I have to do it. DW keeps going on about Claymores and punji sticks. I swear she might be on to something

One of my neighbors has the best sign ever at the end of their driveway 'We DO NOT call 911!!!'

Quick Reply: New Year Party Break Room 12/29 - 1/4