Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New Year Party Break Room 12/29 - 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a sign that said "trespassers will be shot, survivers will be shot again", but I also like the "if you can read this, YOU are in range".
I don't know what we'll be eating, we're going to MIL, so I have no doubt that whatever it is it'll be good, that woman can cook.
Seems like the weather is going to be good for fireworks, no rain and little wind.

Don't go blow yourself up.

happy newyear

Slev
Old 12-31-2013, 04:04 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

cougar! You said we got snow so what the heck!! You didn't plow while I was gone.
I had to walk through 4 feet of snow (ok it was only 16") to finish getting home.
My feet are still cold.
I left the keys in the truck, I thought you were going to plow for me.
Just now finished getting the car the rest of the way to the garage.
Once again I am regretting my decision to not have any hard stuff in the house. I could use a hot toddy.

Originally Posted by slevhansen
Yup, it´s almost impossible... naaa I got myself a little thing not unlike this one
That's pretty neat. Not at all what I was imagining.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
What do you have for a home camera system?
The technology is rapidly getting better and cheaper.
For an inexpensive starter system I liked the stuff that lorextechnology.com sells. I am on my second set up from them.
The one that I am currently using for a little while longer is a Lorex 16 channel system.
I only have 8 outdoor cameras and a couple of indoor hooked up and have it on a four week recording loop (came with a 2Tbyte dvd recorder).
Supposedly (I haven't done it) you can set the alarms to automatically show whatever tripped it on your tv or monitor.
It was really easy to set up for remote viewing which is good for us traveling so much.
Drawbacks with the current cameras are if you mount them looking through glass (such as hidden in the corner of an upstairs window)
the built in infrared LEDs (invisible to human eyes) will reflect off the glass blinding the camera at night.
I am getting a newer HD camera system very soon. The good thing is I can use my existing cables with them.
I am not using the "wireless" cameras because you still need to supply them with 12 volts to power them.
The whole unit runs on 12 volts but they supply the transformers if you aren't tying it into a UPS.
After set up you don't need to have it connected to your computer. For remote viewing you just need to have it plugged into your internet router.
The fun part is hiding the supplied dvr so a burglar won't take it. Mine is hidden in plane sight.

I HATE FLYING NOWADAYS but its good to be home.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
546 why I here well fresh coffee phoo and hot water along with a gallon of apple jack moonshine. Happy last day of 2013 if you drink don't drive do the power stroke crawl.

Gota start working on tommoro dinner pork ribs pork roast smoked Mac and cheese sour crout rolls and beans.

Y'all have fun now ya here
Old 12-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
The technology is rapidly getting better and cheaper.
For an inexpensive starter system I liked the stuff that lorextechnology.com sells.
Thanks Bark! Good info and just what I was looking for.

Originally Posted by railroaderone
546 why I here well fresh coffee phoo and hot water along with a gallon of apple jack moonshine.
How do you make the coffee taste like coal smoke? The 'shine ain't bad at all!

Mornin' all.

It's the last day of 2013.

1775 - The British repulsed an attack by Continental Army generals Richard Montgomery and Benedict Arnold at Quebec. Montgomery was killed in the battle.

1841 - The State of Alabama enacted the first dental legislation in the U.S.

1862 - U.S. President Lincoln signed an act admitting West Virginia to the Union.

1877 - U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes became the first U.S. President to celebrate his silver (25th) wedding anniversary in the White House.

1879 - Thomas Edison gave his first public demonstration of incandescent lighting to an audience in Menlo Park, NJ.

1891 - New York's new Immigration Depot was opened at Ellis Island, to provide improved facilities for the massive numbers of arrivals.

1897 - Brooklyn, NY, spent its last day as a separate entity before becoming part of New York City.

1929 - Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians played "Auld Lang Syne" as a New Year's Eve song for the first time.

1946 - U.S. President Truman officially proclaimed the end of hostilities in World War II.

1947 - Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were married.

1955 - General Motors became the first U.S. corporation to earn more than one billion dollars in a single year.

1961 - In the U.S., the Marshall Plan expired after distributing more than $12 billion in foreign aid.

1974 - Private U.S. citizens were allowed to buy and own gold for the first time in more than 40 years.

1979 - At year end oil prices were 88% higher than at the start of 1979.

1986 - A fire at the Dupont Plaza Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico, killed 97 and injured 140 people. Three hotel workers later pled guilty to charges in connection with the fire.

1997 - Michael Kennedy, 39-year-old son of the late U.S. Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, was killed in a skiing accident on Aspen Mountain in Colorado.

1999 - Russian President Boris Yeltsin resigned. Prime Minister Vladimir Putin was designated acting president.

1999 - Sarah Knauss died at the age of 119 years. She was the world's oldest person. She was born September 24, 1880.

Today's thought:
The lack of money is the root of all evil.

Thanks for the railroad coffee! If B0b ever gets outta bed I'm sure he'll appreciate the ph00 t00!

TOB&F today!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi!
See ya next year.
Bye!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the history lesson Chaikaw happy birthday WV. The sample flavor comes from how you use the cook stove
Old 12-31-2013, 08:04 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Good morning DTRonians, or whatever you call yourselves. Don't want to know what others may call you.

It warmed up by about 6.00487 degrees yesterday. Still not the Mexico I am used to. The cloud cover that we have had lately is very unusual and it blocks our nice warm sun. Looks like the next few days are going to be the same. Hopefully by Friday I will be back into my usual shorts.

Cougar, seldom speak much Spanish here because most of the people I come in contact with speak English. I have however already made it a new year's resolution to learn more because I will soon be going into areas where there is not much English.

Yesterday did dive into the engine on the truck to find my fuel leak. Discovered that the short section of flex hose I added between the fuel pump and the hose going to my fuel gauge had become porous. Needed that piece to stop the buzzing in the fuel gauge (gage for you 'Merkuns). Bought the hose at Parker and they showed me the spec that it was diesel resistant, but guess that only works for a few years. Going to modify that system now. Just for now, plugged the line, so no fuel pressure gauge.

Wife's car went into the body shop yesterday to have the front and back bumpers fixed and painted. An unknown person but a big divet in the back bumper and she did a number on the front bumper by misjudging and hitting our gate. She is VERY embarrassed about what she did, so did not give her a hard time. She will have it back by Saturday, but in the interim, I am her chauffeur.

This may be the last time y'all hear from me this year. May 2014 be all that all of you wish for yourselves and family.
Adios for now.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hurry!! You only have one day left to do something we all can enjoy (and laugh about) this year.

Boss gave us the day off today, so the plan is either mess with the Grandson, go fly, fix something, or break it trying.

Happy New Year Gang!

Last edited by sherod; 12-31-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I won't be getting home today.
It's been one of those trips where the strangest things got in the way. Reminds me to be patient and calm.

Happy New Year folks. I won't be home til next year.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:13 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone

B safe tonight, don't drink and drive and all that
Be here when the next breakroom opens up
Y'all have fun now, ya hear?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:16 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Howdy Bob, rrone, Scott, Scotty, sherod and others who haven't posted today.

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I woke up that day
I had missed that one yesterday

Originally Posted by Mexstan
I have however already made it a new year's resolution to learn more because I will soon be going into areas where there is not much English.
Neat. Are you planning on taking a trip to SO-Calif?

Gotta go pick up some wine for the Bon-Fire tonight than tunnel a path to the shed with the noise makers in it.

Perfect weather for new years eve.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Howdy DoooDoooody. Busy day, very late - - sorry. Spent hours with my sweet little old lady who keeps messing up her computer and expecting me to straighten out her mess. Could not this time - - it is really messed up. I cannot figure out how she can do this other than every screen that comes up that says she needs this or that, she clicks "OK". Soooo, she has stuff in there I have never heard of and so many ads popping up and 17 tool bars (well, maybe only 16). So I finally got it running in safe mode, deleted, diagnostics, etc etc etc and nothing would work. And, the only "GO BACK" date is yesterday's and it won't work. Backed it up and tomorrow I will reformat and reload Windows 7 for her. Then, get her back on the web and set up the programs to load. Then go back and tweak it for her. Bless her heart, she is a sweety but sure should not be on a computer - - she is 85 and still pretty sharp except for the computer. Hey, enough of my problems.

Originally Posted by Bark
Gotta go pick up some wine for the Bon-Fire tonight than tunnel a path to the shed with the noise makers in it.
We are heading to Lake Tahoe in February. Your comment made me think about my last time in Tahoe in the winter - - snow on the ground was 22' deep. Skiers were coming down the hills and using the roofs of the A frame homes as ski jumps. Then I got to thinking, what on earth am I going there in February for???? .......................Go in July when it is gorgeous. Course, it's gorgeous in February on a clear day.

OK, mama is hollering for some company - - been across the street all day. Bout dindin time also. Later gang - - HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR'S EVE.

Bob
Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happy New Years all y'all. I have had a good 2 days when it comes to mechanical stuff. The new alternator went in the Dodge yesterday more or less without incident and the Toyota Echo got new power steering and alternator belts today. Both were in need of service, not even just PM. I limped into Christmas vacation with 2 ailing vehicles.
DW and I have a perfect night planned. There is a bottle of Moet & Chandon in the fridge and 2 pieces of 4H beef tenderloin thawing for supper. It will be a quiet night at home for the 2 of us, the puppy and 6 barn cats, just the way we like it. Yeah, we are a little lame
I hope you all have a healthy, happy and prosperous 2014 and the everyone 'gets enough'.
It has been a lot of fun getting to know all of you and your eccentricities over the past 3 years.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Evening citizens. Running late today. Found out they are sending me to Oregon this weekend for a couple weeks. Surprise, surprise. Spent the day gathering up tools and such, booking flights, hotels, and a rent a wreck. Now all I need to do is find the guy that is supposed to let me in when I get there.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 PM

Stupid Snow.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
to Lake Tahoe in February. my last time in Tahoe in the winter - - snow on the ground was 22' deep.
I hope they get a lot more snow this winter since the water levels are down so much.
Computers: My wife accidently clicked on that Russian "anti-virus" ransom ware awhile back. Only thing that saved her lap top was I had done a complete back up to an external HD a couple of days earlier.

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
2 pieces of 4H beef tenderloin thawing for supper.
Splurged and got some very nice choice grade (upper AAA in Canada) porterhouse steaks for New Years.
Not quite as good as that 4H stuff you get but I think it will be edible.

People were a little nuts in town today, had a few fender benders. I think a lot of them only worked a half day and left half their brains at home.

Quick Reply: New Year Party Break Room 12/29 - 1/4