Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris - being used to it doesn't mean you enjoy it or make it safe. The big difference is likely that we have the clothes to deal with it. I have winter coats, pants, boots etc that all have mutiple layers and types of insulation. As I said when it was hot here back in the summer, I am better in the cold than I am in the heat. When I take the puppy out to do his business I don''t usually bother with gloves or mittens until it gets down to about 0F. The wind is a big equalizer though. It changes things from cold to dangerous in a hurry.

Stay bundled up and stay safe. Maybe the outside horses get an extra flake or two of hay tonight - be nice to them.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Chris - being used to it doesn't mean you enjoy it or make it safe. The big difference is likely that we have the clothes to deal with it. I have winter coats, pants, boots etc that all have mutiple layers and types of insulation. As I said when it was hot here back in the summer, I am better in the cold than I am in the heat. When I take the puppy out to do his business I don''t usually bother with gloves or mittens until it gets down to about 0F. The wind is a big equalizer though. It changes things from cold to dangerous in a hurry.

Stay bundled up and stay safe. Maybe the outside horses get an extra flake or two of hay tonight - be nice to them.
There ya go ruining a perfectly good crying like a little girl whine with common sense...
My place is up on a ridge top, the wind blows across here hard enough that it has ripped the storm door completely off the house twice now in the last 4 yrs. My wind speed gauge is reading 28 right now...thats been the average all day, gusts to about 44,which is above what the weather service says they are seeing.
They say its always windy in KS 'cause Nebraska blows and Oklahoma su...s...
I'm not built for the cold weather, Im a skinny thing, and the wind cuts right through me, and Id rather sweat than shiver any day..
I bundle up so much yall would probably laugh at me, polypropylene long underwear, silk sock liners, jeans, t-shirt, flannel shirt, and if its REALY cold, the insulated Carhart cover-alls, carhart jacket, wool cap, neoprene gloves and a scarf over my face...take me longer to get dressed to go out than it does to do most of my chores..
But I do like to be warm...as the old "da'yuppers" song goes.. in some parts it gets 50 below, and those parts we would like to keep warm"...the older I get, the more the cold bothers me. Last year or so, I feel every broken bone and injury Ive ever had when it starts getting near the freezing mark.

The horses are on free choice Brome hay from a 1200 lb. round bale, so they eat all they want, thats the biggest part of keeping a horse healthy in cold weather..
main problem with them is water.. being on the ridge, its hard to keep the tank from freezing even with a windbreak for it. The horses have a choice of two lean-to shelters to get in , so they have protection from the winds.

I JUST DONT LIKE BEING COLD...
Old 01-05-2014, 04:31 PM

Chris, sounds like you have it all covered. The only weak link is the jeans. Those things are useless in cold weather. I used to want to beat people when I would see them on the ski hills in jeans. Your insulated Carhart coveralls are the way to go. I won't begin to try to teach you about horses - I know enough to be dangerous to me and the animals and that is about it. The only reason I knew about the extra feed is that the previous owners of our house are good friends of ours and this place used to be a Quarter Horse breeding operation (Infinity Ranch). We looked after the horses a few times and I always had to put out extra flakes of hay and sometimes some sweet feed when it was cold. The waterers we have up here must be built with cold in mind from day 1. As long as you use the proper heat tape around the water lines until well underground, you are usually fine.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:33 PM

BTW - don't let me stop you whining about the cold. We live in a cold climate and I know it (this year we had snow on the ground by November 1 that won't be gone until late May) and I am still doing more than my fair share of whining about the cold. Then I whine that it is too hot to work in July and August
Old 01-05-2014, 04:36 PM

The waterers we have up here must be built with cold in mind from day 1. As long as you use the proper heat tape around the water lines until well underground, you are usually fine.
In-ground waterers are soooo much better than the tanks we are using now.
I would install them if I could, too much bedrock too close to the surface here to do it without dynamite and Gods help..
Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
In-ground waterers are soooo much better than the tanks we are using now.
I would install them if I could, too much bedrock too close to the surface here to do it without dynamite and Gods help..
Got it , that makes a lot of difference. You can dig deep here with just a Ditch Witch. You are going to turn over a lot of glacial rocks but they are usually smaller than basketballs. Lots of the corrals around here have a waterer in the middle of the fence so that one waterer can do both corrals.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looking at -33 wind chill here by tommoro night Gona get nasty. Freezing rain turning over to snow by 3a I'd say no school tommoro. Hunker down and stay warm everybody
Old 01-05-2014, 05:50 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold stuff guys. I used to love the winter but a couple of years ago I started disliking it. Also, I have gotten my fingers and toes frost bitten enough times that they start hurting just looking in the freezer.

Originally Posted by sherod
FOB. The wife's car has one.
That's kind of neat. I actually got used to it but I don't understand why they have to make them so big.

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Stupid birds scratch the straw out of the way and try to bed down on the concrete floor, then act surprised when they freeze to it.
Sister has a rooster that on hot days has got itself stuck to the exhaust vent screen in the peak of her barn more than once. It once got knocked unconscious for several hours after getting kicked by a horse it was attacking.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:52 PM

News on TV said that over 1/3 of the country will see record setting cold by Monday evening..due to the cold air dropping out of CANADA....

its Canada's fault!!! dern Canucks...SHUT THE DOOR!! Your letting the cold out!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM

Chris et al,
You are correct the Arctic cold front is coming down from Canada. Normally I would blame Alaska but it is warmer where Bark is than it is here at home. Environment Canada posted on their website that it was colder in Manitoba yesterday than the surface of Mars
Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM

Chris et al,
Environment Canada posted on their website that it was colder in Manitoba yesterday than the surface of Mars
Canada is having a cold snap at the moment. This week, in Southern Manitoba, the temperature reached a blisteringly frigid -31 degrees Celsius, or nearly -24 Fahrenheit. (Wind chill values in Winnipeg—in case you were curious and/or in need of some meteorological schadenfreude—dipped to -58 Fahrenheit.) Which is crazy, and which makes for, as Yahoo's Geekquinox blog puts it, "the coldest afternoon temperatures the area has seen in several years."

The cold spell also puts Canada into some rarified company. Because you know what other place has recently registered a temperature of -31 degrees Celsius? Mars. Yep, Mars—a planet located many millions of miles farther from the sun than we are.

That sounded so crazy I had to google it...and all I can say is BRRRRRR
Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by railroaderone
Looking at -33 wind chill here by tommoro night Gona get nasty. Freezing rain turning over to snow by 3a I'd say no school tommoro. Hunker down and stay warm everybody
I will be out driving in it early...my wife works at the Hospital as a Registered Cardio Vascular Technician...not enough of them to go around as it is so we go until we bury it or it quits running.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:47 PM

Chris, I am a Canadian, I wouldn't lie to you

I leave that to your own Democrats...
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are right. It is now 33°f here. Wish it was just a little colder.

Hope Lary has 4wd on that thing. I hate leaving a car and having to walk home.

Seems like for decades we used to do just fine only having 2 wheel rear drive cars. Now all wheel drive cars seem more common.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:34 PM

I had a bunch of stuff typed up and lost it twice. I can't find where the stuff you had saved for copy/paste is so ***((((*** it I ain't typing it all again.
We're about 0 right now. Calling for -8 tonight, single digits tomorrow night, then pushing 50 with lows in the 20s Thursday.
Gotta stoke the fire then I am heading to bed.

Quick Reply: Warm Shelter in the Storm Breakroom - 1/5 - 1/11