Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

volvo...what are they thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
volvo...what are they thinking?

so ive heard over and over that volvo drivers are some of the worst on the road. now not only do they claim to be the "safest" on the road, but they sure seem to be catering to idiot drivers in their latest lineup of commercials.

just 3 that i have observed this afternoon.

#1. man almost runs motorcycle off road cuz he's not paying attention.

VOLVO solution-install sensors for those too lazy and wreckless to check ALL mirrors and do a quick head check.

#2. woman is fidding with papers in the passenger seat...not paying attention...and is about to rear-end a car stopped for crossing children.

VOLVO solution-install MORE sensors for those who cant seem to keep their eyes on the road while driving, and for those who feel the need to do everything but stay looking out ahead.

#3. man nearly misses another vehicle as he's whipping in and out of traffic.

VOLVO solution- yet more sensors for those who lack depth preception as well as the intelligence to determine what a safe speed and action are appropriate for the given conditions.

am i the only one who is dumbfounded by a company's basic condonation (is that even a word?) of wreckless/unsave driving practices? and rather than push for more stringent testing and more strict enforcement of safe driving habbits, each generation's testing is growing more and more lax. we need more darwin (chlorine) in the gene pool

Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 PM

Sitting here watching "Planet Earth" on the Discovery Channel and they are running the crap out of those 3 ads. I was thinking the same thing you are.

~Rob
Old 03-25-2007, 08:04 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

In 1982 had just got my 79 Ford F 250 4x4 out of the body shop that morning, with new paint (thanks to the guy with big front teeth and glasses, that ran into the side of it the week before). So I am driving down the road going over a bridge.Volvo driver in front of me in the other lane arm up on the back of the seat. Roads are icy. He losses control spinning all over the bridge I just want to get around him and go about my business. But my action to miss his actions, well I go off the bridge down 30 feet onto a 4 lane highway .That was the end of my truck. Then I get to deal with his insurance company, ya never get back what ya lose. I leave a Volvo and driver behind every morning, just after coffee.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
idiot drivers come in all knds of vehicles, even dodge/cummins trucks...
Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

There have been several studies done regarding the relationship between safety features and driving habits.
the more safe a person feels, the more chances they will take. if a car warns them they are too close, they are going to drive absolutely as close as they can without setting off the alarm.
why check mirrors if the car will warn you.
its a downward spiral.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That explains why so many big SUV drivers seem so clueless..

That is one of the most often given reasons for buying a big SUV for one person to drive around in: safety.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:37 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
There have been several studies done regarding the relationship between safety features and driving habits.
the more safe a person feels, the more chances they will take. if a car warns them they are too close, they are going to drive absolutely as close as they can without setting off the alarm.
why check mirrors if the car will warn you.
its a downward spiral.
I couldn't agree with you more! Coming from someone that runs all kinds of accidents, what we need are more attentive drivers and less electronic "saftey devices".

And if people would only stay off their stupid cell phones while driving!!!!!!!!!!!!

Britt
Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 PM

Look what ABS, traction control, safety belts, and halogen lights have done for peoples driving.

Would you drive 85 mph at night without halogen headlights on high?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Look what ABS, traction control, safety belts, and halogen lights have done for peoples driving.

Would you drive 85 mph at night without halogen headlights on high?
Okay, ABS is something that I am afraid I wouldn't want to live without. It actually saved my dumb..... well lets say butt, from an accident last year. Yes, I will be the first to admit that I wasn't paying attention like I should have been.

Britt

Old 03-25-2007, 09:12 PM

ABS used to activate on my S-10 daily. there was one spot where the bump was just right when I was slowing down for a stop sign that would activate the ABS EVERYTIME..
ABS has activated a couple times in my frontier, always when I didn't want it to. I would rather slide.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:29 PM

ABS isn't perfect. But I would rather live with it than without it. JMHO.

Britt

Banned

Originally Posted by hotdram
Sitting here watching "Planet Earth" on the Discovery Channel and they are running the crap out of those 3 ads. I was thinking the same thing you are.

~Rob

No commercials on DHD! I'm thinking a lot of the Deep Ocean segments are computer generated though so I am a bit turned off. The mountains were crazy cool though!

well at least im not the only one dumbfounded by these commercials. its like they acknowledge there are an overabundance of stupid drivers out there, and they think their gonna do everyone a favor by teaching them that now they REALLY dont have to pay attention anymore. cuz some electronic do-dad will do it for them.

btw "planet earth" on DSC is pretty amazing! that "vampirus toothus" or however you spell it was pretty wicked! it'd scare the isht outt me
Old 03-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It's no different than the (I think it's a Geico commercial) where the lady is driving down the road looking at her lottery ticket as they announce the winning numbers on the radio. When she finds out she has a winning ticket, she's hanging out the window screaming "I Won, I won, I won" until she runs through a constuction site full of workers and runs into a truck.
Then she asks the Geico agent sitting next to her, "Am I covered", he replys "Yes".
And some folks can't figure why everyone's insurance premiums are so darned high.

Want to encourage safer driving?
Take out the seat belts, the safety glass, air bags, collapsable steering columns, ABS brakes, padded dash, and crumple zones, and require manufacturers to install a Cell Signal blocker activated when the ignition is on into every vehicle.
Folks will either learn to pay attention, drive within their skill level, or they won't last long.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:57 AM

i've owned several late 70's early 80's volvos, and back then by safety they meant things like thick steel, extra door braces for side impacts, extra roof supports for roll overs, four wheel dics, two seprate brake systems running side by side, double belts, non interference motors, simple controls so you could keep your eyes on the road insted of gagets, excellent seatbelts/seats, good strong susension parts, amoung other things i can't remember. i guess safety means something entirely different nowadays. those old cars were tough and well built, though.

Quick Reply: volvo...what are they thinking?