Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

VIRUS Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry VIRUS Removal

I have been hit with a particularly nasty trojan.Startpage virus. Every time I start up Internet Explorer, the start page goes to about:blank and a search engine appears. I have tried the instructions given at Symantec's website to remove it, but can not get it gone. The file that is suspect is the "sp.dll" file. However, while doing a search of the harddrive, I can not locate this file. I also can not see anything in the register (using regedit). Has anyone else been hit by this and how did you fix it?

Thanks,
~aboutblankRob
Old 01-25-2005, 04:34 PM

Go to www.windowsbbs.com and search or read the forum "Removing Spyware and Viruses". If you do not find your answer, post your problem and you will get the best advise on the net, IMO.

Daniel
Old 01-25-2005, 05:01 PM

Thanks Daniel,
I appreciate the link.

~Rob
Old 01-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

to avoid lots of spyware alltogether you can download Firefox browser for free, look up mozilla firefox and download - install, there are even some tweaks you can do to speed things up. I have used Firefox for about a month and won't go back, msie is not a stable beast and is soooooooooooo prone to attacks by the world of MS haters and therefore targeted by spyware very aggresively. In the month gone by I have only had 7 instances of new spyware, as opposed to the forty to fifty a month when using msie. I use spybot search and destroy as a spyware remover - imunizer and ad aware as another removal tool. Those are both free as well. As for virus control norton does a fine job as long as it is updated and imo worth paying for.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:14 PM

Ive got the same exact stinkin virus!!! Ill see if the above links will help.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:24 AM

http://www.pestscan.com is another good tool to use to track down virus/spyware garbage.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:17 AM

Wow! I tried the pestscan and I have 115 spyware programs in my home computer!!!! I guess it's time for a little more protection.....
Old 01-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem and fixed it by following the instructions in another post.

Go to: Tools....internet options.....advanced. Scroll down and "remove the check" in the entry for "allow third party cookies (requires restart)".
Old 01-26-2005, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by crobtex
I had the same problem and fixed it by following the instructions in another post.

Go to: Tools....internet options.....advanced. Scroll down and "remove the check" in the entry for "allow third party cookies (requires restart)".

To go along with what crotex said, also uncheck the "install on demand" option. That keep a good amount of crap off too.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:02 AM

I use spybot (free progam), pest patrol, and symantic corporate edition of anti-virus. Had to spend a couple of hours the other day cleaning up the hard drive.
As a note, first time I ran spyware software, found spyware from the company I work for. Gee, they never called me and ask why I removed there spyware.

Davey
Old 01-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: VIRUS Removal

Originally posted by hotdram
I have been hit with a particularly nasty trojan.Startpage virus. Every time I start up Internet Explorer, the start page goes to about:blank and a search engine appears. I have tried the instructions given at Symantec's website to remove it, but can not get it gone. The file that is suspect is the "sp.dll" file. However, while doing a search of the harddrive, I can not locate this file. I also can not see anything in the register (using regedit). Has anyone else been hit by this and how did you fix it?

Thanks,
~aboutblankRob
That trojan is the exact reason I quit using IE and started using Mozilla Firefox. I got the same thing on my old computer and never could get it off.

That is an extremely tough trojan to remove. There are lots of programs out there that claim to remove it but they do not.

You may try THIS website. It explains in detail three different ways to remove about:blank.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:21 AM

Well,
I went to the windowbbs.com website and they were very helpful and friendly. They were able to walk me through the steps to remove my virus without reloading Windows again. It was not easy (had to download a few programs, boot into safe mode many times, clean-up a bunch of garbage) but it was worth it not have to reinstall windows and get my computer back.
If you use their site, just read and follow the rules (just like here) and they are great to work with. I was impressed enough (more like greatful enough) to join the site as a paid member for $20 for a year (although it is not required to get help). I've already sent in some money here too, so don't think I'm neglecting this place .

~Rob
Old 02-05-2005, 11:02 PM

Aside from using Firefox to help eleviate your problems, you can get Ad-Aware for free (for personal use) from www.lavasoft.com. That's the best spyware removal software I've used. Also, for a good, free anti-virus program go to www.avast.com
Old 02-05-2005, 11:25 PM

I second crkoa. I use Ad-Aware 1.05 and Avast Anti-Virus. Avast seems to be very high quality, the price is right too.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by hotdram
Well,
I went to the windowbbs.com website and they were very helpful and friendly. They were able to walk me through the steps to remove my virus without reloading Windows again. It was not easy (had to download a few programs, boot into safe mode many times, clean-up a bunch of garbage) but it was worth it not have to reinstall windows and get my computer back.
If you use their site, just read and follow the rules (just like here) and they are great to work with. I was impressed enough (more like greatful enough) to join the site as a paid member for $20 for a year (although it is not required to get help). I've already sent in some money here too, so don't think I'm neglecting this place .

~Rob
Rob

Glad to see you got your computer cleaned up. I have used the windowsbbs.com site for many problems and have always been satisfied with the help there.

I notice you are in McKinney, I am north of you about 50 miles in Denison.

Daniel