Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Tractor trans help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tractor trans help

I have a 2002 JD 4410 that appears to quit pulling under heavy load as with the loader pushing material. It will also "slip" in high gear going down the road. It has the power reverser trans. I changed the suction side filter but that didn't help. I may change the hyd oil filter next. Loader and 3 pt hitch seem to work ok. Anybody got any ideas?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:20 PM

Sounds like a slipping clutch to me? I know these tractors now days use hydrostatic and what not transmissions but all of them that I have worked on still have a clutch that dissengages the trans when the pedal is pushed.

Does yours have the full hydro trans with a forward and reverse pedal on the right side or does it still have a clutch pedal on the left side?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:02 PM
JKM

Check the "clutch" cable to see if it is sticking or binding, most new tractors do not have a dry type clutch anymore, so it is technically not a clutch cable. Some machines just have a potientiometer attached to the pedal pivot shaft , and a large spring to make it feel right.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 AM

[/QUOTE]Does yours have the full hydro trans with a forward and reverse pedal on the right side or does it still have a clutch pedal on the left side?

Yes it has a clutch pedal and only the accelorator and brake pedals on the right. It is (I think) and hyd type trans with a lever like a turn signal on the left steering column for forward/neutral/reverse. The owners manual states it may also have trans filter. I'm gonna call tomorrow and see if I can get one. Thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 AM

JKM, I hadn't thought of that. I'll check into it. I know you only use the clutch to take off. You can shift forward and reverse without using the clutch. It drives normal until it gets under a pulling/pushing load, then the motor revs up slightly and it basically won't spin the tires.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:24 PM

It needs a clutch most likely. It sounds like it is set up just like the last one I messed with. Its got a transmission just like it to. I want to say they called it a power shift? The forward and revers lever on the column is called shuttle shift also.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:07 AM

Boy, I didn't want to hear that. Looking at the owners man, it says it has a trans hyd filter and a screen that is cleanable. But in the trouble shooting it only mentions changing the suction side filter, which I did. I'll be off Fri and I guess its time to get dirty. By the way, it only has 530 hrs on it.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:10 AM
JKM

If it was a bad clutch , you would be able to smell it...
Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 AM
JKM

Ok , did some research for you , I'm going to go out on a limb , and say it is NOT the clutch, because those tractors do not have a " clutch" as i posted earlier, FWIW , it is called an " inching pedal" now, instead of a clutch pedal.

The PRT transmission ( yours) has a fly wheel, and a bolt on flex plate much like an automatic transmission.

you can see what i mean here :

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt

I would service the filter , and clean the screen you mentioned also, and maybe even change the transmission oil ( it might be due anyways), and check the cable.