Go Back  Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums > Other / Non Diesel Related > Other
Reload this Page >

So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?

Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?

Old 01-23-2007, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So who here is into local tractor pulling?

Just wondering who all here participates in local tractor pulls and had some pics to post of their tractor(s)...

Here's my personal beast; 1954 Farmall 400 (5500# Farm stock)

Custom ground cam
Over sized Intake valves
Three angle valve job
Port work/putty work
Shaved head
Pop-up pistons
.125" over bore (281 CID)
Venturi hogged out to handle extra airflow

Runs 9.6:1 compression and puts down 72hp/290ftlbs @1300rpm The engine kit was actually a stock replacement through our parts dealers. Overall, since we did alot of the work ourselves, I have $1300 invested in the entire tractor. That goes for buying it, building the engine, painting it, and putting tires on it! Believe it or not we even use it in the fields too since there's nothing too wild about it (still runs stock rpms)...

2005 Season: Rookie of the year
2006 Season: Points champion (ran undefeated at several tracks)
Attached Thumbnails So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?-mah-beast.jpg   So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?-its-decorated-vet.jpg  

Last edited by ckt_santiago; 01-23-2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: messed up the thread title
Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats awesome, 72hp out of 400 is pretty good.

I have 2 unstyled JD's that I run, 1936 A and a 1941 G. There's nothing special about the A, just .045 high compression aluminum pistons and a gas manifold. Weighs 4250 empty with me on it. I only dynoed this one once when I first got my dyno and I know I was off, but it had somewhere around 40hp.
The G has a styled engine in it, .125 high compression aluminum, custom cam, gas manifold. Weighs 5200 with me on it. Someone took the PTO out so I can't dyno it.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Pulling

I pulled four green ones and four red ones once upon a time. Now I only have this one left.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=19433

Check my album for other pics.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:54 AM

that r is sweet. i love those things. once apon a time an old man said he wanted to get rid of one, it was pretty rough, but supposedly ran. he wouldn't let me fiddle with it and then the real shocker- he said he wouldn't sell it for less than $8500. whaT A JOKE. i think he didn't like me cuase my dad owns some Red tractors.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 AM

I've got an H Farmall that my Grandpa bought brand new in 51. I'm in the process of putting a Farmall 350 head and cam in it along with an M carb. I'll put some better and larger pistons and sleeves in it when it starts getting weak.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcoleman View Post
I've got an H Farmall that my Grandpa bought brand new in 51. I'm in the process of putting a Farmall 350 head and cam in it along with an M carb. I'll put some better and larger pistons and sleeves in it when it starts getting weak.
My Grandpa had an H; I think it was actually a 51 too...

That thing must be the most abused and neglected tractor of all time, and it never skips a beat.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by mcoleman View Post
Well let me know when you're ready for half of that stuff. I can get you some good deals on engine kits; pistons, pins, sleeves, bearings and gaskets for somewhere around the $500 range. I also know where, if you don't mind waiting a week or two, you can send your cam to be reground ($125+ shipping). Just tell Sonny what your engine will be running (type of head, estimated compression [those kits I can get will take it up to 8.5:1] and what RPM you want the cam to come in) and he will use this pretty cool little computer program and figure out your best grind. We were new to low rpm engines so his tractor pulling expertise helped a lot; he grinds cams for the NTPA boys and a ton of stock pullers. We always used these guys for our stock cars and their lobe profiles are quite a bit more aggressive about getting that valve open and close em pretty fast all the way up till the end then there's a change in the profile that gently sets the valve on the seat. Fact is the 550 hp 340cid that we are putting in a light mod (cast iron intake, cast iron [stock] heads, and 1 650 holly)<- darn rules there was more in it, has one of their cams in it. Used to be called ultradyne; they made some changes as far as ownership and the name was changed to Bullet Cams. You can go to their website and take a peak at some of their automotive cams or call and ask for Sonny at (662)893-8022. He will be glad to help you out.

Now on a personal note, I know alot of you guys are Deere nuts, but as an Ag Mechanic all I ever see in my shop is Deeres. Whereas every tractor on our farm is IH or Farmall. We used to have two JD B's and all but one other person on our pulling team pulls Deeres so I'm not saying I hate Deeres or anything I work with them everyday to both make money and have fun. What I am saying is that for the money they are too complex and when you look at history (up till the mid 90's) Deere was behind the power curve when it came to innovation. Now that things are getting way too many computers (7 on-board computers in newer models) Deere gets the advantage because they have a better funded company. (that and everyone else is squabbling over who's gonna buy who [rolleyes] )

MHO is that the best tractors out there now are the McCormicks; they have 1 computer and that controls the FUNK transmissions. They are either cummins 8.3l powered or variants of the 354 Perkins all with mechanical pumps which knocks anywhere between 12k and 25k off the price. Good visibility and cab ergonomics, compact tractors for the less than 135hp variants and big heavy tractors for the 140hp+ variants to get the power to the ground. if anyone looks into them they're actually the old Case IH magnum line with a few extra transmission options and they are manufactured under a European license in England.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are a few of me and Dad's pulling tractors.

Allis Chalmers WD45 Diesel 262 block turbo 100hp
Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel Stock
Allis Chalmers D21 Diesel still under construction.
Allis Chalmers 190XT twin Turbo, P pump. Buddy's tractor.

We pull in Greene County GA every 4th Sat. if anyone is close and wants directions let me know. They also pull trucks there too.

AndyT

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...5&d=1167414678
Attached Thumbnails So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?-wd45-diesel.jpg   So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?-d17-pulling.jpg   So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?-asiwd45-diesel-2.jpg  
Old 01-23-2007, 08:34 AM

Hey Andy...just saw you have a AC 433 engine in a pickup...I'll bet that thing's easy on fuel ain't it?? Always wanted to put one of those in a half ton, but they're worth too much for me to get one

I don't do too much pulling...but I'm gonna start working on an AC D17 Diesel this summer to pull at our local show. The JD G's have ticked me off, so I'm gonna see if I can play with them some!

Chris
Old 01-23-2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by JD730
Thats awesome, 72hp out of 400 is pretty good.
Yeah for running stock parts and mild tweaks we figured it would be plenty; we regularly spin out on tracks that everyone else in the class snuffs on (except for those with way too much $$$) gotta love that TA though . Also, since the engine is built to lug it is an absolute monster on paced tracks and my 16.9's are pretty darned bald (not to mention Bias Ply instead of radials like everyone else). So it was really funny the first season to have all the guys with $1,000's of dollars invested in their tractors whine that I was cheating... Albeit I'm not completely stock, but I don't run on 110 octane fuel or have rods that were cut and had longer sections welded in, nor am I stroked to the point that there's interference in the block, or even bored so much over that my block had to be filled with concrete! I still use my beast in the field and it works great. It actually uses less fuel than our '49 Farmall M that we just freshened up to a 264cid with pop-ups.

If they want to see wild they should look at the 150hp M that we put together for someone (370cid on stock block and some serious crank work/way lighter custom rotating assembly to spin 3500+) Or, the 300hp 370cid 560 that we put together; those are a couple of wild tractors. I can only imagine what kind of fuss they're gonna make when we roll out our 550hp light mod... All the Chevy boys are gonna hate us outright cause we run mopars (340 in this case)

Originally Posted by JD730
Someone took the PTO out so I can't dyno it.
That does suck when people do that to ya before you buy/build a tractor. Your stock class rules don't state that you need a working PTO and Hydraulics?

Lucky...
Old 01-23-2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by signature600 View Post
Hey Andy...just saw you have a AC 433 engine in a pickup...I'll bet that thing's easy on fuel ain't it?? Always wanted to put one of those in a half ton, but they're worth too much for me to get one
We, my dad and I, always pondered dropping a 301 turbo diesel in a truck. 175hp version out of a combine (turned up a bit more of course) so it has plenty of snoot... That Roosamaster pump with that nifty little double hump on the cam ring really makes the little buggers snappy and fuel efficient (same with IH's that have the Roosamaster [just smaller pumping plungers .33/.37 vs .39]). All that and, the darned thing is so light that it probably wouldn't weigh much more than a small block V8
Old 01-23-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ckt_santiago View Post
That does suck when people do that to ya before you buy/build a tractor. Your stock class rules don't state that you need a working PTO and Hydraulics?
When we got it was a mess, had a styled block that was shaved about .250", pistons come within .375" of the deck. Unstyled flat head, compression was way too high, couldn't keep head gaskets in it and forget about hand starting it. Governor bearings were shot, cam bearings were worn out, but the crank, rods, and pistons where all fresh.
Don't need hydraulics because my rear cover doesn't have them from the factory and the guys I pull with don't give me a hard time because they know if I had a PTO it would be in it.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey 600 and CKT, the 433 runs good with a granny low Ford 4 spd behind it and 3.04 gears in the rear. It tops out around 78 mph but will pull any thing it hooks to. I get around 28 mpg around town in it. Starting a complete frame off restrore on it now. Here is a pic of the truck before starting to restore.

AndyT
Attached Thumbnails So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?-allisfordolet-1.jpg   So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?-allisfordolet-2.jpg   So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?-allisfordolet-4.jpg  
Old 01-23-2007, 10:55 AM

Cool!!!

Chris
Old 01-23-2007, 11:13 AM

I see andyt that you are also a fan of the outside the box stack Must be a water to air intercooler in the intake plenum? 130hp is pretty respectable for one of those little buggers, and how did you find a set of 3.04 rear gears?! Must be a granny four speed I would assume... (had one of those in my 87 F-150) <- first vehicle; cost me $50 and a clutch install that I did myself

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.