Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

So who here tractor is into local tractor pulling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is a 433I...intercooled! Correct Andy?

Chris
Old 01-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
On the stack thing I am not a fan of outside box stack, Dad was when he put the engine in back in 1983. I have a 5" stack for inside the bed when it gets restored. You are correct on the intercooler. The rear end is the stock chevy rear with 3.04 gears. The trans came out of a '76 Ford F250 w/ a 390 in it. It is a cast iron housing.

Btw, If anyone plans on putting a 433 or a 301 in a truck, find a combine flywheel to use. '74 to '80? Ford truck clutch has the same outer bolt pattern. Just machine center for pilot bearing and your ready to go.

AndyT
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Sweet! I have TONS of those laying around!

A 670HO would be fun, but they're getting hard to find, and would need a body lift to fit in most trucks! Maybe a 1st Gen Dodge or old Ford could handle one

Chris
Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just pull bone stock antique but I guess I'm a dying breed there.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 PM

That's what we pull...but I know for a fact that the G's that have beat me aren't stock! So I figure I might as well play with the rest of the crowd!

There's nothing fair about pulling a WD45 against a JD G...by the time you get the AC to 7500lbs you're out of power. This last year they finally let the early D17's in, so now we can compete. Around here, the classes are tailored for the green guys!

Chris

Chris
Old 01-23-2007, 03:44 PM
JKM

I Have a gleaner L with a good engine in it if anyone wants to buy it buy the engine and you can HAVE the combine
Old 01-23-2007, 03:53 PM

We try that all the time...don't get many takers

Chris
Old 01-23-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
That's what we pull...but I know for a fact that the G's that have beat me aren't stock! So I figure I might as well play with the rest of the crowd!

Around here, the classes are tailored for the green guys!

Chris

Chris
See my engine came in pieces in a crate and the head was warped took .050 to bring that back into line and then since I already needed liners and pistons (they weren't in the crate) I put in a set of our aftermarket supplier's HO pistons. They're rated as OEM replacements and only take the compression up to 8.5:1 (the .050 took it up to 9.6:1). The cam needed to be reground since it was pitted so we sent it to our friends at Ultradyne (Now Bullet Racing Cams). Then while waiting for the cam to come back we played around with the die grinder and polishing wheels... Nothing that was radical at all... I could, if I wanted sell it as a farm tractor with a fancy paint job; the old Farmall cooling system can definitely handle 72hp

As for non stock tractors.... When I know I have more than stock and can only drag the sled at 4mph and someone in the same class as me comes through at 6-8mph and blows past my mark by 40+ feet.... Yeah, rookie year was interesting until they finally ran tech on the top five tractors. Oh and what would you know; mine was the only one in the top 5 that passed [rolleyes]

It's pretty obvious that a G or A isn't stock when they require 1/2" valves for the compression relief to start their tractor... Not to mention they had to take out the wall between crankcase and the transmission to clear the rods, yeah that's right the stroke is that friggin long. Sad part is that I still managed to hand those two their ***** more than once.

Then don't mention the LP Moline with part-near 600 cubes who belongs in hobby stock... Or an Oliver 88 that is 426 CID rather than stock 213...... If people have the kind of money to do that sort of stuff they need to go ahead and put a little coin into the bottom end and go hobby; just MHO.

Oh and on the note of biased towards Green... Not only are the rules biased, but the sled operator is biased towards Green tractors. I have him on tape dropping the pan on me a full 50' early then stomping on the brakes to stop me. He also doesn't like women pullers and over half of my pulling team is female; also have footage of him doing the same to them.

It's funny because a new pulling association was opened for the 2006 season (Red-cedarTractorPullersAssociation) with fair rules, a great sled that is not controlled by an operator (other than gear selection and placement at the start line) and the old association (IndianheadTractorPullersAssociation) wondered why everyone boycotted them. They fired the president, who happened to own earlier mentioned G and A, and now people are thinking about coming back... Maybe; problem is the way he changed the rules and let a lot of Deeres get away with illegal equipment/mods made all the county fairs and lion's club pulls shy away and go to RTPA or make their own rules.

As far as stock class goes we (RTPA) have figured out how to even the playing fields; speed limits. The tractors that have been BOMBED just go a lil ways and spin out cause they can't run their high gear, or in the case of turbo farm classes they run the high gear, but don't get the required boost and snuff... Fact is unless it's a really good hooking track bone stock Super H's will finish within 10 feet of me and the rest of the leaders and in turbo farm classes stock 1066's will whoop up on the $10,000 invested tractors every time

See the theory is, if farmer Joe can bring his tractor in from the field and seems like he's competing (as in not being left behind the leaders by 50+ feet) he will bring on average 5 people with him to watch. Those five people buy drinks, food, and memorabilia and we make more money. Not to mention the pull is more fun to watch cause it's not nearly as predictable.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by signature600
We try that all the time...don't get many takers

Chris
I can't understand why , ours makes a darn good grain cart for the L3.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ckt_santiago
See my engine came in pieces in a crate and the head was warped took .050 to bring that back into line and then since I already needed liners and pistons (they weren't in the crate) I put in a set of our aftermarket supplier's HO pistons. They're rated as OEM replacements and only take the compression up to 8.5:1 (the .050 took it up to 9.6:1). The cam needed to be reground since it was pitted so we sent it to our friends at Ultradyne (Now Bullet Racing Cams). Then while waiting for the cam to come back we played around with the die grinder and polishing wheels... Nothing that was radical at all... I could, if I wanted sell it as a farm tractor with a fancy paint job; the old Farmall cooling system can definitely handle 72hp

As for non stock tractors.... When I know I have more than stock and can only drag the sled at 4mph and someone in the same class as me comes through at 6-8mph and blows past my mark by 40+ feet.... Yeah, rookie year was interesting until they finally ran tech on the top five tractors. Oh and what would you know; mine was the only one in the top 5 that passed [rolleyes]

It's pretty obvious that a G or A isn't stock when they require 1/2" valves for the compression relief to start their tractor... Not to mention they had to take out the wall between crankcase and the transmission to clear the rods, yeah that's right the stroke is that friggin long. Sad part is that I still managed to hand those two their ***** more than once.

Then don't mention the LP Moline with part-near 600 cubes who belongs in hobby stock... Or an Oliver 88 that is 426 CID rather than stock 213...... If people have the kind of money to do that sort of stuff they need to go ahead and put a little coin into the bottom end and go hobby; just MHO.

Oh and on the note of biased towards Green... Not only are the rules biased, but the sled operator is biased towards Green tractors. I have him on tape dropping the pan on me a full 50' early then stomping on the brakes to stop me. He also doesn't like women pullers and over half of my pulling team is female; also have footage of him doing the same to them.

It's funny because a new pulling association was opened for the 2006 season (Red-cedarTractorPullersAssociation) with fair rules, a great sled that is not controlled by an operator (other than gear selection and placement at the start line) and the old association (IndianheadTractorPullersAssociation) wondered why everyone boycotted them. They fired the president, who happened to own earlier mentioned G and A, and now people are thinking about coming back... Maybe; problem is the way he changed the rules and let a lot of Deeres get away with illegal equipment/mods made all the county fairs and lion's club pulls shy away and go to RTPA or make their own rules.

As far as stock class goes we (RTPA) have figured out how to even the playing fields; speed limits. The tractors that have been BOMBED just go a lil ways and spin out cause they can't run their high gear, or in the case of turbo farm classes they run the high gear, but don't get the required boost and snuff... Fact is unless it's a really good hooking track bone stock Super H's will finish within 10 feet of me and the rest of the leaders and in turbo farm classes stock 1066's will whoop up on the $10,000 invested tractors every time

See the theory is, if farmer Joe can bring his tractor in from the field and seems like he's competing (as in not being left behind the leaders by 50+ feet) he will bring on average 5 people with him to watch. Those five people buy drinks, food, and memorabilia and we make more money. Not to mention the pull is more fun to watch cause it's not nearly as predictable.
Yep, sounds normal!

We had a guy bring in a JD R, and a JD 70...the R can weigh 9000, and the 70 is allowed 8500. We was surprised when we threw the 70 out after weighing it at 9450. Rules are rules. We also don't allow cut tires, but some idiot comes in every year with cut tires and expects to pull...usually the same guy that we didn't let pull last year.

All I wish they would do is reorganize the classes and get rid of the "plow" rating...that's how we rate them. 2 plow, 3 plow, 4 plow, new and old, and some "light" classes. An AC is always 1 class bigger because they will pull more plow than they have power...because of their "traction booster" system. Can't use it on a pulling track, they put it in the rules. Same thing goes for the little Fords/Fergusons. If a Deere doesn't win, it's a Farmall, or by some odd chance, it an old MM, possibly a MF, an Oliver, or maybe a AC with A LOT of weight! I don't mind getting beat by a M Farmall, they are good tractors, and the guys who run them don't normally look down their nose at you when you show up with something wierd

Usually I'm the one that goes through the barn and finds a tractor I can stretch the rules in...2 years ago it was an old 2 cyl Deutz diesel with a TALL 1st gear, and difflock I also played with the RPM a little 2500lb tractor running with 5Klb tractors and I took 3rd The next year they changed the rules so I couldn't run that tractor because of the European hitch. This year, it's gonna be a D17 diesel "High Clearance" with 18.4-38 rubber,,,I'm hoping the extra speed will give me an edge!

I sound like I'm serious with this stuff...but really I like going out there and having fun. It just gets old when the only ones complaining are the ones who win every year, and are complaining about someone who gave them a challenge! I thought that's what it was about

Chris
Old 12-26-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by andyt
On the stack thing I am not a fan of outside box stack, Dad was when he put the engine in back in 1983. I have a 5" stack for inside the bed when it gets restored. You are correct on the intercooler. The rear end is the stock chevy rear with 3.04 gears. The trans came out of a '76 Ford F250 w/ a 390 in it. It is a cast iron housing.

Btw, If anyone plans on putting a 433 or a 301 in a truck, find a combine flywheel to use. '74 to '80? Ford truck clutch has the same outer bolt pattern. Just machine center for pilot bearing and your ready to go.

AndyT

Hey Andy I was just wondering what size clutch did you use that fit right up on the flywheel? Or what ford engine did it come off of? I am currently in the process of putting a 301 into my 78' ford and am pairing the engine with a zf5 transmission. The 7.3l clutch that I have is too big.

Last edited by MitchG123; 12-26-2018 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Wrong wird
Old 12-26-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MitchG123
Hey Andy I was just wondering what size clutch did you use that fit right up on the flywheel? Or what ford engine did it come off of? I am currently in the process of putting a 301 into my 78' ford and am pairing the engine with a zf5 transmission. The 7.3l clutch that I have is too big.
Mitch, I am pretty sure it was from a '75 - '76 Ford F250 with a 390 engine. https://www.centerforce.com/product/...141667-c411634 This is what it currently has in it. It has been too many days since I messed with it. I am running a Ford T18 transmission behind it. Good luck with the project.