Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Texas Outside Storage TAX????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas Outside Storage TAX????

Just got my bill from the storage place where I store my trailer at, in an open parking stall. There was an extra $7.11 tacked on. Called the storage place and they said as of Jan 1., the state of Texas is now making storage companies charge sales tax on the storage fee for anything parked outside EXCEPT watercraft. I have a locked storage unit there where I keep my ATV's and dirtbike and they don't have to charge me tax on it.

Just ranting,

~thatisallRob
Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! I never heard of that Rob. My TT is parked in an enclosed storage place....but still. That is going a little to far, imo.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

I have to pay city tax on my inside stored materials.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Wow! I never heard of that Rob. My TT is parked in an enclosed storage place....but still. That is going a little to far, imo.

When you say enclosed, you mean behind a door, with a roof, or behind a fence but outside?

~Rob
Old 02-12-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard of that one, but my fifver stays at the house. Cost me $1500 for a cover over it, but figure we save on the storage costs.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:40 AM

All I can find in the tax code applies to motor vehicles. My trailer doesn't have a motor
I guess I could go out and buy a watercraft and stick it on my GN I shouldn't have to pay taxes that way.

~Rob
Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Ran across this while researching: Occasional Use Tax

snippet:
"All Texans are responsible for paying occasional use tax when they buy taxable goods and services for use in Texas and the seller does not charge Texas sales tax, or does not charge the correct amount of Texas sales tax. Use tax is reported and paid directly to the Texas Comptroller's office.

For example, if you buy a shirt through an online auction from a seller in Ohio who does not charge you sales tax, or a New York electronics store sells you a camera through its Web site and does not charge you sales tax, you owe Texas use tax."

I didn't know that

~Rob
Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by hotdram
When you say enclosed, you mean behind a door, with a roof, or behind a fence but outside?

~Rob

Yes, it's fully enclosed with roof, sides, 2 doors. The sun/rain/light never hits my trailer unless I take it out. The storage place hasn't contacted me about any extra taxes/fees.........but I guess in that case it wouldn't apply since it's "inside".

Old 02-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Put pontoons and an outboard on it,and it is now a venture capitol experiment.Since it now is able to float and has power,no more tax.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by hotdram
Ran across this while researching: Occasional Use Tax

snippet:
"All Texans are responsible for paying occasional use tax when they buy taxable goods and services for use in Texas and the seller does not charge Texas sales tax, or does not charge the correct amount of Texas sales tax. Use tax is reported and paid directly to the Texas Comptroller's office.

For example, if you buy a shirt through an online auction from a seller in Ohio who does not charge you sales tax, or a New York electronics store sells you a camera through its Web site and does not charge you sales tax, you owe Texas use tax."

I didn't know that

~Rob
If you use Tax software it is in there, at least it is for OK. The Use Tax has been around for a couple of years and applies to mail order items. They are relying on people to tell them what they buy out of state tax free.

Hub