Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Sure is tough when a friend goes to War

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure is tough when a friend goes to War

Spent the weekend with my best friend/brother in law. He is in the Army and flys MediVac for the Maryland NG. He is leaving for an 18 month deployment tonite, and I tell ya, it sure is rough on everyone. From his six year old boy, a new wife & home-and all the rest of us it really hurts. He is one of those guys that the world can use more of. From skiing to trail rides to UVA football games. Canoeing the Shenandoah, fourwheeling the OBX, or flying a Cessna over Smith Mountain Lake - knowing it doesnt get any better, we always have a great time leaving even better memories. Tim- if you read this..remember what I told you and your promise to come back to us all safe. To anyone else who happens to be there now- rest assured, the best dang UH-60 Pilot is on his way...unfortunately you gotta be pretty sick to fly with Tim!! GO ARMY!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 03:58 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He is in our Prayers.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best of Luck to Tim and all the other troops over there. Not a day goes by that I don't think about them and wish I was young enough to help out more. Look forward to the day he returns and you all can resume your good times. Not everyone has a brother-in-law and good friend.

John (DH)
Old 01-17-2005, 05:42 PM

My brother is over there kicking in doors. Tim is in my Prayers...

Dom
Old 01-17-2005, 06:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Freedom is not free, thanks for paying the dues.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:47 PM

May God Be with him and all of the Americans over there. Military and Civilian

My wife's sister, her husband, and their children are presently stationed in Germany. He is also in the Army. They have been told he is going some time this spring. I understand your feelings. They were home for christmas and it was tough on all when they left to go home.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:25 AM

Thanks Tim and God bless our Troops!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:57 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A project to Support the Troops. See first page. Spot the Dodge?
LOL

http://members.tripod.com/post_commander/
Old 01-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

A yound Marine from Wakefield that my son new was just killed Saturday when he stepped on a mine according to the paper. As bad as it already is, he was scheduled to return to the states at the end of this month.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:25 PM

A co-worker went and came back in one piece. He said it's mostly positive but there is a lot of danger too. He has a lot on his mind and a lot to tell. E-mail the troops you know or maybe even don't know and let them know they're supported from home. I even sent some dirty mags to him. It's what he wanted. He said he had everything else. His mom splurged over $600 for the vest. He had all the toiletries, snacks and necessities he needs. But he was scared, didn't sleep well with danger coming in any and every form. He needed and wanted a deversion. I kept the emails going and sometimes when he didn't respond for up to three weeks, we all lost sleep. Then he'd reply. He saw some horrifying sights and came within feet of being hit himself. Now that he's back, an empty soda can makes him nervous. It could be a bomb over there but just trash here. More than we'll ever understand. He took pictures over there of insurgents dismembered and blown apart that he can't look at now. Our troops need our support when they get home too. Whether you support the war or not, support our troops. Tim's comin' home...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Chapter President

My brother-in-law got back from Iraq right before Christmas. Dave and I are also very close. He was training and going on missions almost daily with the Iraqi National Guard. He is glad he went (volunteered), and also says there are a lot of positive things going on over there. The vast majority of Iraqi's are glad we're there and show tons of support.

At least Tim will not have to be knocking in doors and dodging IED's. Tell Tim to be aware of what's going on around him and keep the faith and he will be OK.

There is no way you and your family won't worry about Tim, but take it from me, think positive and keep him in your prayers, and you will get through this.

My nephew is scheduled to go over there next month.

GO ARMY! GO MARINES!
Old 01-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

I talked to a friend of mine while at The Gun Rack Monday (she just got back from Iraq) and she said there is a lot of good stuff going on that the media don't show you (now there's a surprise eh). For the most part, the majority of the Iraq's like Americans and believe our troops are doing some good.

Keep up the good work troops, we're thinking of you all the time.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:41 PM

First off, thanks for all the well wishes and kind thoughts. We got an e-mail from Tim today- the trip over wasnt as bad as he thought it was going to be. Seems his biggest gripe so far is having to wait in a line for everything. Everyone's attitude is positive, and they sure do appreciate support and contact from the states. Stay well everyone!
Old 01-21-2005, 05:50 PM

The mainstream media doesn't cover the good things, whether because they think good news doesn't sell or because they're as anti-American as they act, I don't know. But here's a site that rounds up good news from Iraq every two weeks:

http://chrenkoff.blogspot.com/2005/0...q-part-19.html

Hope everyone's relatives and friends keep their heads down and stay safe, and I hope they're welcomed back properly when we've accomplished our goals.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:41 AM
CJ

I've got a good friend due to come home in april. Has been almost 18months now. He started off in Afganistan and is now in Iraq. He's one of those contractor types. While he was home for Christmas he bought an 05 2500 w/ Cummins and placed a soft tail duece on order. He said he wanted to make an even 2 yrs of it but his wife said enough is enough. Can't wait for april
CJ

Quick Reply: Sure is tough when a friend goes to War