Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

To spank or not to spank

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To spank or not to spank

I have been at a grocery store where I watch a parent tell the child 50+ times to stop doing something or to come here. All the while the kid looks at the parent like ya when i'm good and ready....how about another time-out mommy. I'm not saying beat the child till they are senseless, but I was raised by the belt and thank my parents daily for it.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:00 PM

I was raised by the belt, raised now a 26 year old by the belt and he, to the best of my knowledge never got into any real trouble, is a great person to be around.

I see the same thing you are talking about and I wanna go give that kid/parents the what for -- but in todays society the parents are either afraid of ramifications if they get caught or have different beliefs on how to raise children and the kid rules the roost -- very sad situation -- I am no expert on raising kids but feel that mine turned out very well and he is thankful for my discipline and has told me so, and I thank my parents for my strict upbringing, the belt worked on my ****. So I vote for the belt.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spank............I was given good swats growing up. I learned real fast what NOT to do. When I have kids, I'll raise them probably just like my parents raised me............. Kids nowa days are lacking respect, work eithics, knowledge of right and wrong and so forth. I think a little swat growing up is all that is needed. Maybe not......... But I once agian I was raised by the belt also AND I'm also thankfull of my parents.....
Old 04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
And people wonder why todays youth mock any authority. No consequences for their actions. It's someone else's fault . . . so says some lawyer.

When dealing firm discipline (when needed), I always reminded my kids that, "I love you, Judge Judy doesn't!"
Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 PM

I think the belt is too much, especially on little kids. However, if they're screwing up, and continue after a warning, they get spanked. With mine, they don't need much spanking, nor very hard. One little swat is enough to send them into "weeping and gnashing of teeth" directly.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:58 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

quietly take them out side and beat that ... rear
Old 04-03-2007, 06:15 PM

A swat with the hand has worked for my kids, I don't use a belt nor did the old man when I was little.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:19 PM

I bet that woman was scared to spank her kid in public. I get some bad looks when my kid is acting up and he gets a swat on the butt.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Spanking has to be done right, and I think my parents did it right. My parents never "beat" me in public or out of anger. They took me to a private place, explained what I'd done wrong and what the consequences were, told me they loved me even though I'd screwed up, then administered the "consequences" (usually with a wooden spoon - ouch).
Old 04-03-2007, 06:48 PM

I was with spanking and a occasional belt. I now can see the "fruit" of that discipline as everybody at church and other places say we have the best work ethic and respect our parents a whole lot more than other kids. As my current boss says "You have the work ethic and respect of somebody 50 to 100 years ago." I was grinning from ear to ear.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned

i think the belt builds the suspense up. it gives you a few more moments to think about what you did while the belt is being pulled thru the loops. and we all the know sound too!! my folks had a paddle also. im glad they did. i cant count the girls ive dated with kids that were totally out of control becuase their momma didnt want to get them inline and it drove me absolutly nuts

brett
Old 04-03-2007, 07:00 PM

I have a 3 yr. old and a 5 yr. old. and they get swatted on the rear and I don't see a thing wrong with that. Let me just say one thing here though. There is a HUGE, HUGE difference in just a swat and abusing your child.
personnally I don't think it is the actual pain of the swat, I think it is more the act that gets the childs "attention"
I also think hitting a small child ANYWHERE else but in the rump is completley unacceptable. I confronted a guy once that absolutely drilled his 5 yr. old boy ( open handed ) right acrossed the face. I asked him if he would like for me to show him how that feels, he declined the offer..

I believe the state of California already did or is getting ready to make spanking illegal !!! leave it to california !!!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 PM

You do have to be careful about how you go about spanking in public.

I adopted my wife's daughter (11) not to long ago. Saw her bio dad once for 4 hrs- what a dead beat. Anyway, I would try to discipline and get that head shake hip dance thing with "youre not my real dad you can't touch me". Let's just say thing's have changed , and for the good.

I am sure my dad would still spank me today if it were not for a pacemaker and 2 plastic knees.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by s cesnick
I have a 3 yr. old and a 5 yr. old. and they get swatted on the rear and I don't see a thing wrong with that. Let me just say one thing here though. There is a HUGE, HUGE difference in just a swat and abusing your child.
personnally I don't think it is the actual pain of the swat, I think it is more the act that gets the childs "attention"
I also think hitting a small child ANYWHERE else but in the rump is completley unacceptable. I confronted a guy once that absolutely drilled his 5 yr. old boy ( open handed ) right acrossed the face. I asked him if he would like for me to show him how that feels, he declined the offer..
I completely agree with that. Spanking on the butt if fine, but anywhere else is unneccessary and wrong. I would have done the same thing if I saw that guy do that.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
here's a good one:

friend is in some Gov't program as a Gubmint babysitter, if you work for Gov't and move, they give you ~2weeks free child care, so she gets ALL the odd *****.

lady drops her kid off other day "we do not tell this child NO, he is not to be told NO"

well, back to what BC847 said, "will Judge Judy tell him NO, or 5 to 10 in the pen?"

Quick Reply: To spank or not to spank