Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

So I've been readin

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I've been readin

I have to take a polygraph test for the fire department I'm about to join. I will most likely take it next week. I have no clue what is going to happen when I take the polygraph. Does anyone have any info that they can bestow upon me to help me. Or anyone that has takin it before. It's just I've been reading and seeing that alot of the tests are not accurate and that they fail people who are telling the truth. I know I will be totally ****** off if they say I'm lieing when I'm telling the truth. It kinda makes me nervous because this is my future here relying on a little electronic crap. oh well I guess what happens happens.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Chapter President

The main deal is it reads your reaction to regular questions, if you get nervous or embarrassed about answering a question might read negative. I have no experience with them so I may be completely wrong. Just stay calm.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:56 PM

Just think of some string bikini filled out, while sipping a nice foo-foo drink on a tropical beach while you taking the test and you'll be good as gold!

Good Luck!
John
Old 11-13-2006, 08:57 PM
rdc
Banned

I'm no expert, but I think you might want to tell the truth when hooked up to it...

seriously, why do you have to take it for the fire company??? not a habitual arsonist are you ??? Hmmmmm.....
Old 11-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Chapter President

Don't think of the string bikini filled out, that's like thinking of people in their underwear when your speaking to a group, some you will get over excited about and others you will get overwhelmed about.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poly graph tests are kind of cool I was also stressed to death.

1. Do not move, tense muscles, even toes, this will send things off the chart
2. Don't lie (easier said than done with some questions).
3. Relax most of the questions are simple Yes/No.

I had a polygraph given to me by the guys who do it for the FBI and I passed with flying colors!!

Rick
Old 11-13-2006, 09:13 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

when they start with the calibration questions, lie, get paranoid, and tense up everytime they speak.
When they get to the real questions, relax.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:00 PM

You will usually know which questions they'll be asking you before they ask. They will do this and get your answers prior to the actual test. Then they hook you up and go through the same questions, in the same order. No surprises or tricks. Their goal is not to fail you!..At least that's what I heard.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 PM

well I think a polygraph for a fire department is over it's time, but we have to do it, we spend a whole day takin a 400 question psych test then a short in person psych test, then we have to talk to a shrink. personally I think it's rediculous, but if I gotta do it I have to do it.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Snapper
well I think a polygraph for a fire department is over it's time, but we have to do it, we spend a whole day takin a 400 question psych test then a short in person psych test, then we have to talk to a shrink. personally I think it's rediculous, but if I gotta do it I have to do it.
They probably do it for any 1st responder job? Who knows.

The psych test will be funny. You will be asked the same question several times. And out of no where, you'll get questions that say, "Someone is following me, True or False". Don't laugh too hard when you get to these!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:18 PM

WOOOO, I passed the polygraph, I am just so friggin relieved after that stupid test!!! Well all I have to do to now is talk to a shrink for a few hours and then I'm hired. Got fitted for all my bunker gear and clothes today. I'm on cloud 100!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 PM

congrats, what kind of questions did they ask you? eventually i'll be taking mine
Old 11-17-2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by runamuk
Poly graph tests are kind of cool I was also stressed to death.

1. Do not move, tense muscles, even toes, this will send things off the chart
2. Don't lie (easier said than done with some questions).
3. Relax most of the questions are simple Yes/No.

I had a polygraph given to me by the guys who do it for the FBI and I passed with flying colors!!

Rick
I would add one thing to that. Watch your breathing. Don't be obvious to where the guy sees you. Just breathe normally and don't take any quick breaths while answering a question. Honestly I think that some people are better off not knowing how a lie detector test works. Once you are aware you worry too much about doing it right. You might be better off just taking the test and don't even think about it. Oops just read that you passed. Congrats.