Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Sirius Radio Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Radio Adapter

OK, my kids got me a Sirius sat radio for Christmas. The reception to my truck radio is not the best, so the wife bought me a FM direct adapter. I pulled the radio out but the plug is different from my truck radio. I have the cheapo am/fm/cd radio. Has anyone hooked this up, or what was your fix? Do you have to get another adapter to adapt the adapter to the radio?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a standard coax connector behind the passenger side kick panel. Plug the wired FM modulator into that connection. The radio has a non standard coax connector.
That's where I have mine (behind the kick panel) and it works great.

MikeyB
Old 12-30-2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mopardan
OK, my kids got me a Sirius sat radio for Christmas. The reception to my truck radio is not the best, so the wife bought me a FM direct adapter. I pulled the radio out but the plug is different from my truck radio. I have the cheapo am/fm/cd radio. Has anyone hooked this up, or what was your fix? Do you have to get another adapter to adapt the adapter to the radio?
i hooked mine up behind the passenger side kick panel too, works awsome like mikey says. I also need adapters for my wifes envoy the antenna wire is much smaller than the fm adapter kinda wish i did the install plan at bestbuy
Old 12-30-2006, 12:37 PM

Well darn. I went to Wally World this am and bought a adapter. I am going now to go look behind the kick panel. I did't really like how that universal adapter worked. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:29 PM

Thanks MikeyB & stickbow. I went out and pulled out the kick panel and sure enough there it was. Much cleaner install this way. The information you can get from this site is awesome!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:59 PM

If you guys ever need anything Sirius like adapters, mounts, etc... These are the guys to get hold of.

I'm in Canada and they are in Chicago and thier shipping and service is awesome. I have ordered a ton of stuff from them. Worth looking into.

http://www.tss-radio.com/

Jeff
Old 01-02-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Homestead
If you guys ever need anything Sirius like adapters, mounts, etc... These are the guys to get hold of.

I'm in Canada and they are in Chicago and thier shipping and service is awesome. I have ordered a ton of stuff from them. Worth looking into.

http://www.tss-radio.com/

Jeff
i'll take your word for it my friend I just ordered some stuff from them. So far so good, I get sick of driving around to all these different stores looking for what you need...
Old 01-02-2007, 05:40 PM

Is the reason your reception due to the FM channel your radio is on (perhaps you are picking up a strong FM station in your area) ??? Did you try changing the SIRIUS preset FM channels to see if it cleared it up any... I know it worked for me in the past....

???
Old 01-06-2007, 02:20 AM

My son bought me a Sirius from Wally World for Christmas. We ended up taking it back thinking it was faulty because of poor reception on the trailer radio. We went ot another store and I bought a more expensive unit and we hooked it up and had the same problem. He took his Sirius from his Jeep and hooked it up in the trailer and it sounded good in the trailer..the house, my truck, his Jeep, all transmitting from the trailer. The others would not do that. Back to Circuit City, this time, and exchanged it for an opened box deal for a "last years" model. We found out because the input voltage to last years Sirius was 12v, instead of 6v, it transmits farther and came in very clear. I guess now they sell some adaptor for the antenna now for the newer models.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:01 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got a new serius radio this week because my old one finally took a dirt nap. Now my old one I had zero problems with it came in crystal clear all the time. This new one I hooked every thing back up the same way and I got the worse sound in the world. So I went back to the box and found I had this FM antenna booster that I had to plug into the back of my sirius and then run it under the dash and out next to the passenger A Pillar and tucked it in to the corner as best as i could and stuck it to there. Since doing that I now have better sound than the old model and I don't loose the radio as much going though over passes So whats up with that? What was the difference from a year ago that made the newer radios so fussy
Old 01-06-2007, 09:41 AM

The FM direct adapter put in line with the truck antenna cured my problems. Works great now.