Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Shock collar for cats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shock collar for cats?

Anybody make them or could you just use one for a small dog? We have an inside cat that gets on the furniture/kitchen counters and it's driving me crazy and the old lady won't put the dang thing outside. I can yell at the cat or hit her with something and she'll get down but I want something that will make a lasting impression on her. Do ya'll think a shock collar is overboard? Me personally, I'm a dog guy and have nothing for the cat except the wife and kids want to keep her. I'm afraid if I don't do something to train this furball, there might be a killing.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock collars for a cat probably wouldn't do any good. I read a study that cats don't have a short term memory. You could shock the cat and 10 minutes later it would be back to it's old habits. You can train a cat, but it's a pretty extensive process. I do some research on the internet before you drop some coin on something that probably won't work.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Chain it to a bowling ball with a chain about 4 inches too short to reach the counters, that should help

Of course this may cause the issue of you listening to that ball roll around all night.

My experience has been, Cats, love em or put em outside where they belong I am like you I don't want ANY animals walking across the food preparation surfaces.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 PM

get a squirt bottle and put water in it, squirt the cat every time you catch it on the counter or on the couch.... worked for ours.

or u can get the shock collar and squirt it, electricity and water mix well right??? at least it would be fun....

dam cats
Old 10-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mainer
get a squirt bottle and put water in it, squirt the cat every time you catch it on the counter or on the couch.... worked for ours.
dam cats

Payback's a ..........well, use your imagination.........

The cat

Old 10-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Squirt bottle is a good suggestion, it works on ours when they are in the house which is pretty rare.

For dogs some people put the small mouse traps on furniture, etc. so that when they jump on it the traps get set off and scare the animal.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead

The cat

I used this instead, squirt bottle doesn't have the distance!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er_CPS4100.jpg
Old 10-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The Super-Soaker would work but might be messy and a bit overkill. Years ago, my mom used a kids water pistol to train her Siamese. Worked like a charm.

Dan
Old 10-10-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
Anybody make them or could you just use one for a small dog? We have an inside cat that gets on the furniture/kitchen counters and it's driving me crazy and the old lady won't put the dang thing outside. I can yell at the cat or hit her with something and she'll get down but I want something that will make a lasting impression on her. Do ya'll think a shock collar is overboard? Me personally, I'm a dog guy and have nothing for the cat except the wife and kids want to keep her. I'm afraid if I don't do something to train this furball, there might be a killing.

i could loan you my dog for a weekend--garrentee no cat problem after he spent the weekend in the same house as your cat
Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by t-boe
Shock collars for a cat probably wouldn't do any good. I read a study that cats don't have a short term memory. You could shock the cat and 10 minutes later it would be back to it's old habits.
Sounds like a good idea regardless of its effectiveness.

I don't think it will work, but for a different reason. All the cat will learn is that it better not jump on the counter when you are around and it's wearing the collar. They are smart little boogers.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM

I also suggest the squirt bottle. It seemed to work for us and it is hilarious to boot !!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
http://www.addictinggames.com/kittencannon.html
Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I prefer a Mossberg 500 for cat training problems.

then again, I dont have cats in my house.....
Old 10-10-2007, 06:19 PM

I had one of those squealer things that only dogs are suposed to hear and it worked great. Cat would get on the counter, just point and shoot. Bad thing was that when the cat went to peeling out, trying to get away, it usually took everything off the counter too. Man it was fun, I never knew an animal could go that many directions at once.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead

The cat

I had to laugh when I saw this me no likey cats

Quick Reply: Shock collar for cats?