Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Settle a Debate - Shoot the Dog or Have Him Put to Sleep

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Settle a Debate - Shoot the Dog or Have Him Put to Sleep

My wife thinks taking a dog to the vet and having him put to sleep is more humane. I think a bullet to the head is just as humane and much cheaper.

Thoughts?

Edited to add that I have no intentions of shooting a dog anytime soon. This is just a discussion that my wife and I disagree on.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vet does it for free, and came out here to do it. We had to have our old Heeler put down last year. One shot and she laid down like she was going to sleep. She's buried on the back fence row with a wooden cross marking her grave. I still stop and talk to her very now and again.

Edit: I couldn't no more shoot one of my animals then I could one of my kids.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
My vet does it for free, and came out here to do it. We had to have our old Heeler put down last year. One shot and she laid down like she was going to sleep. She's buried on the back fence row with a wooden cross marking her grave. I still stop and talk to her very now and again.

Edit: I couldn't no more shoot one of my animals then I could one of my kids.
Same here, Vet did it for free, and it was like she went to sleep. I too made a cross with her collar hung on it and burried Lou Lou behind the house.

I also could not shoot one of my dogs if they were dying from a known condition like her (She had a brain tumor) meaning we tried to treat it but over time knew it was a coming thing. I have shot 1 of my dogs that got unexpectadly injured to the point there was no way he could be treated, so rather than driving 45 minutes to the vet with him suffering, I put him down myself, so I think sometimes it is warranted, depending on the situation.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed! Every situation is different, but given the option for a quick painless end, I would have the vet do it. I once had a pair of strays that we took in. They ( I think ) got in with some coyotes and got really mean. To the point they would growl at me when I fed them. They had been really good pets until that point. I had vowed not to spend any money on them so I had a friend come out to put them down. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I think that was worse! He was either a bad shot, or something. It took too long for my tastes. That and explaining to the kids what was happening was rough too. Vet would have been worth the money looking back.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It takes a real tough guy to put an animal down-- it's tough.

That's why someone usually hires the job out. Having a stranger do it is worth the $$ imo.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
vet here charges a couple hundred bucks, i do it myself, i hate too but its just quicker and easier, i had to do it to 2 VERY mangy pups a few years ago.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:20 AM

I've put down many but never my own. I've come close, very close to shooting one of my dogs but just couldn't do it. I had already led the dog down to the creek and had the gun to her head but just couldn't do it. We wound up taking her to the pound and someone adopted her. Now if there is no other choice, I will put down my animals just so they won't suffer. A stray is a different story. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they move on but if they don't, and I don't know of an immediate home for them, they are going to be put down. I have young kids and can't take the chance with strays.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

I have put down my own very very hard to do, I personally don't like vets that much but probably a better situation. But I was raised around alot of animals and my grandpa and my dad alyways took care of it. Something tells you that you should do it yourself because it is your dog but it is easier to have a freind do it. I have put down a some very large animals before and I assure you the correct shot and they don't feel a thing but don't miss!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:05 PM

Weve had dogs put down if we took them to the vet and found it was best. But weve had dogs we shot. There was one australian shepherd named Lacey, sweetest dog. Got torn up real bad by a coyote or stray dog, it was obvious there was no fixing her so my dad just shot her. Then there was the blue healer George that attacked me when I was 10. We didnt do either. My dad chained him up in the horse trailer with about 4 1/2' of chain, 6 1/2' sidewalls, and the dog stretched the cain and hung himself.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't think a shot to the head is any less humane than taking the dog to the vet, but I don't think I could shoot my dog (or anybody else's). I'm a big softie.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
BTW, Hoss - you know that this isn't going to win you the argument. No man ever really wins an argument with his wife, 'cause even when you win you lose.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I don't know wht the US veterinarians use, but over here there was a lot of discussion from the vets side since a lot of the "good" stuff for putting animals out has been forbidden. A vet told me that actually it looks like going to sleep to the eye, but it's actually a strong muscle relaxant- stuff that will paralyze and something that makes the animal suffocate. This vet suggested shooting with a big caliber as being less painful and quicker than what he could legally use.

AlpineRAM
Old 08-07-2007, 02:36 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

I once took in a wolf/Shepard hybrid.. huge dog, very friendly innitaily.... after awhiel it began "stalking" the neighborhood kids, and I felt it was becoming dangerous.
had another Shepard that we kept untill it was in too much pain( dysplasia) that it couldnt walk without whining.

I took both out (at different times) and used one shot to the head...going from right behind the ear laterally towards the oppisite eye...
I feel that if I have the animal, its MY responsibility. its part and parcel of owning any critter and caring for it. I cant shirk my responsibillitys just because I find them distasteful or emotionally difficult..
I have had to put down a horse the same way, and my vet said pretty much what Alpine mentioned... a lot of time a well placed shot can be less painfull and quicker for the animal.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:47 PM

I've heard numerous times that a correctly placed shot is much better for putting down a horse. There is a spot in the forehead that can be located using the halter and drawing lines across that will drop them painlessly in an instant. I've had to put down several dogs over the last few years for a lady down the road that owns a kennel. I call it a puppy mill. The Wife and I don't care much for kennels.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Didnt you see old yeller just do it. Its sucks but he is your dog I have had to put down several dogs I hate it but it has to happen. I cant afford to call a vet to do it at $200 when the dog wont know the difference

Quick Reply: Settle a Debate - Shoot the Dog or Have Him Put to Sleep