Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Salvage Job

Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Salvage Job

Arrived at the Birch Lake pull out @ 9:30 this am. an met up with 3 others...We are on a recovery (a friend got the salvage rights) mission...I guess once the insurance company googled the coordinates they called a tow truck company Monday and asked if he could go get them...well he told them that that is a winter trail not a road they see on google and no he can’t get there with a tow truck... Well they called him back yesterday and told him the bikes have been written off as a total loss but they must have them recovered and are willing to pay whatever it takes to get them, and who ever can get them out can have them for parts....The two riders lost their ATV's up off a bank on the Little Delta river...So its across the frozen Tanana and up the west bank of the Little Delta...We made it 10 miles up the Little Delta but got late due to four hours punching drifts and over flow, we had about two more miles up the river to go, but it was getting to late....left the freight sleds next to the bank so we don't have to drag them back out/in again...Try again in couple days.....anyone wanna help
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That actually sounds like fun, I'd go with you!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:17 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Game on!

On a side note,

I hope their binder gets dropped...
Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
my brother got a 02 honda 4x4 rancher that way. dudes wife was haulin **** around a corner, lost it and it went down a 500ft (darn near cliff) in the Riggins Idaho area. Brother was shed horn hunting and saw red plastics down in the gully. well his curiosity got the best of him and went down to see what was there. no frame damage, rear diff broke in 2, plastics gone, handle bars bent, right front hub broke in 2 and a few other minor things. turned the key on and it lit up. he grabbed the VIN and got home and called me. I told him to call our sherrif buddy and ask him to run the VIN to make sure it wasnt stolen. Our buddy gave him the owners name and number. Brother called the dude and said they already bought a new quad. this one only had 200 miles on it. Brother asked if he needed help getting it out since it was on forest service land and he said "it can stay there". brother asked how much he wanted for it and the dude said $40 "cause the tires were still good". lil bro grabbed the chainsaw winch and a couple buddies and 2 days later had the quad sitting at his house. $1800 in parts later and he has a new quad. rides it all the time and has the title
Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Whatever happened to those guys that took the trucks way off road up there for a moose hunt or something and got them buried deep in some frozen tundra? Does that sound familiar? I was following that story for awhile.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
This one:

By Tim Mowry
Staff Writer
Published April 5, 2007

The stuck trucks are free, but the bill associated with getting them out won’t be.
The Anchorage hunters who got two pickup trucks stuck in the tundra off the Dalton Highway about 350 miles north of Fairbanks while trying to retrieve caribou they shot in September finally succeeded in getting the vehicles out, according to officials with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
“I’m so glad those trucks are out,” said Shelly Jacobson, field manager for BLM’s central Yukon field office who has been overseeing efforts to remove the trucks. “It’s been such a spectacle.”
The hunters, from Elmendorf Air Force Base, tried three previous times this winter to extract the trucks. This time they used jackhammers and rotary drills powered by generators that were hauled to the site by snowmachine to dig the trucks out of the frozen tundra, Jacobson said.
The hunters stayed on site in a wall tent and had a parachute canopy covering the trucks and heaters to warm the work space, but the heaters didn’t do much to thaw the ground.
The truck closest to the highway, a Dodge Ram 1500 stuck about a half mile from the road, was removed on Saturday. The other truck, a Ford F-150 stuck about 4 1/2 miles from the road, was freed on Tuesday.
The trucks were loaded onto sleds placed under each tire and towed out to the Dalton Highway by Alyeska Pipeline Co. using a pair of Tucker Sno-Cats, said Jacobson.
The BLM asked Alyeska to tow the trucks to the road, according to Alyeska spokesman Curtis Thomas, who said Alyeska will not charge the hunters for towing the trucks out.
“It’s an act of good Samaritanism,” he said.
The trucks had been stuck since Sept. 8 when the hunters hiked five miles off the road and shot three caribou. Rather than pack the animals back to the trucks, the hunters attempted to drive the trucks to the caribou, even though they knew motorized vehicles weren’t allowed for five miles on each side of the road, an area called the Dalton Highway Corridor.
The incident garnered statewide attention, and the hunters’ ongoing efforts to remove the trucks generated spirited debate in hunting and environmental camps around the state in part because of the brashness of the stunt. The BLM received dozens of phone calls and e-mails from Alaskans offering everything from advice on how to get the trucks out to what kind of punishment the hunters should face.
The drivers of the two trucks were cited by the BLM for driving in a non-motorized area, the equivalent of a traffic fine, but the hunters face further fines and penalties, Jacobson said. The BLM will seek reimbursement for administrative costs associated with removing the trucks. Jacobson described the costs as “substantial.”
“We haven’t added them up,” she said.
The hunters may also have to pay reclamation costs if the BLM determines any work is needed to rehabilitate the disturbed ground, said Jacobson. How much damage was done to the tundra remains to be seen when the ground thaws, but Jacobson was impressed by the pictures she saw during and after the operation.
“They were pretty surgical,” she said. “It looks pretty good.”
The hunters used jackhammers to cut into the frozen tundra and then cut their way to the frame and axles, shoveling the frozen dirt away as they went. Once they got the trucks free, sleds were put under each tire and the trucks were towed out. The hunters shoveled the dirt back into the depressions they had cut when they were done.
“We’re going to take a look at it this summer after everything thaws out,” Jacobson said.
The only sign of the trucks being towed out were toboggan sled marks in the snow, she said.
“The towing out went slick,” said Jacobson, who called Alyeska’s assistance “very nice.”
Steve Houghton, maintenance manager at the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ nearby Toolik Field Station, was on hand to witness part of the extraction process. He called the removal of the trucks “a success story.”
Houghton said he was glad to help the hunters get the trucks out.
“These guys are willing to put their butts on the line for us, it’s the least we can do,” he said, referring to their military status. “They paid their sentence and it was time to get them out, whatever it took.”
BLM employees were on hand to monitor the removal. Based on what they saw, it didn’t appear either truck leaked any oil, transmission fluid or gasoline on the tundra, Jacobson said.
“That was a concern a lot of us had,” she said.
The BLM does plan to release the names of the offenders, Jacobson said.
“I know the perception is out there that we’re trying to protect them from public scrutiny, but that’s not the case,” she said.
Rather, the agency doesn’t want to compromise the investigation that BLM rangers have been conducting since the incident occurred back in September.
The BLM is still planning to team with UAF researchers at the Toolik Field Station to monitor the recovery of the damaged tundra, Jacobson said.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back in the 70's my buddy took his Blazer into the Gila where vehicles were not allowed.......he got stuck.......his brother went in to get him out.......he got stuck.......they got caught.......the Forrest Service made them remove the trucks with a mule team.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1-2-3
Whatever happened to those guys that took the trucks way off road up there for a moose hunt or something and got them buried deep in some frozen tundra? Does that sound familiar? I was following that story for awhile.
I can't recall exactly what it ended up costing them. I know it wasn't cheap...somewhere there was a article about a repair shop that said they did the repairs but can't find it...
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
That actually sounds like fun, I'd go with you!
Come on up...then you can stay and housesit my place...I am making a run to Idaho in 2 weeks and will be back first of april...I'll post more in another thread later
Originally Posted by Redleg
Game on!

On a side note,

I hope their binder gets dropped...
I doubt if they drop him....I have heard of some pretty wild recovery's up here....Sunk boats are a big one...there was a boat whose motor quit on the Tanana last summer an drifted into a log jam...The guy spent the night on the Jam and was able to flag down another boat the next day....Fully insured boat...Some locals were hired to get the boat out of the river...don't know what they made but they were a happy bunch at the bar that night....I know what you mean tho....I have full insurance on my rides and if my insurance has to pay...well that's what they are for...I have over 4.5 million miles accident free as a professional driver and hundreds of thousands on personnel rides and have never once ever made a claim (windshields excluded) so I figure they owe me....they owe me
Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 PM

all that fun and no pictures!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by AkitaSumo
an no co-ordinance either..
Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Last two times I went through Delta the Air Guard had a UH-60 parked at the airport. Couldn't you just borrow that for a couple of hours?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:52 PM
DTR Mom

weird to think four wheelers can get in THAT much trouble. big bad country you have Paul.

had a co worker that asked us to recover his jeep (we had a towing business as well as the full time job). get to a small creek, running knee deep at edge only 20 feet or so wide.. see lights at a bottom of a deep pool. heheheh.

why do folks go fast where they can't see? local knowledge is priceless.

make sure you make it to Idaho, Paul. yikes.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by AkitaSumo
We laughed about that out when stuck in a drift....looks like they might take a couple sno go's in...

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
an no co-ordinance either..
?????

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
weird to think four wheelers can get in THAT much trouble. big bad country you have Paul.

why do folks go fast where they can't see? local knowledge is priceless.

make sure you make it to Idaho, Paul. yikes.
You should see some of our trails...
This cheechako last summer told me that he had went driving out on the Delta River flats...I must of had a look on my face...He's like what...don't know how he lucked out, he said he didn't have a bit of trouble...I kinda laughed and said don't go out there again...Well...wish I had pics of that too...