2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Passenger Side Maplight Button Broken--How to Salvage the Light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger Side Maplight Button Broken--How to Salvage the Light?

My passenger side maplight button broke some time ago, but strangely enough, the light stopped coming on with the domelight at the same time. The bulb seems to be fine though. Is there a way to change the wiring a bit to at least make the light come on when you turn all the domelights on?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Phil, you sure that you have something broke in there? I had the same problem on mine a couple of weeks ago, thought it was a blown bulb. Turned out to be a loose bulb socket, pulled the cover, tightened it up and works like new.

Since it's not coming on with the dome light anymore, I'd suspect a loose or busted wire. Fixing that will probably solve both problems.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:00 PM

Well, the spring/snap button design of the maplights is **** poor IMO. Tyler's is broken too. It's the little spring switch part. So once it broke, I just took the button part of the switch out and hot glued the light from the inside so it doesn't rattle while driving. I don't quite get why the light won't come on with the domes. I was hoping someone knew off the top of their head.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:22 PM

I'll have to check the service manual for the wiring diagram tonight. I thought they were wired so that they came on regardless of the position of the button switch.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine come on regardless of switch position. When my switches broke, I had no lights. The switchs had a top and a bottom and the switch is almost just like a cheapo ball point pen. There are little plastic pins in one half that hold the too halves together. Mine were all broken, so I just superglued them back together. A new harness with switches is like $40.00 from the dealer.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:53 PM

Well it almost seems as though the lights are wired in some kind of screwed up series and if you lose the switch, the light doesn't come on at all.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:41 PM

OK, after taking a look at the wiring diagram, let me take a stab at this.

Here's how the light is wired up. There is a constant hot wire (pink-PK) coming into the overhead console for the lights. The push button has a yellow (YL) and 2 black w/ light green tracer (BK/LG) wires. One BK/LG goes to the light, the other BK/LG is tied to a ground. The YL is tied into the headlight switch and door switches which complete a path to ground. When the push button on the light switch is in the on position, it provides a ground to the light via the BK/LG tied to ground. When the switch is in the off position, the light is tied to the YL wire so that the path to ground is controlled by the headlight and door switches.

My guess is that the switch broke in the on position and you have bad connection on the BK/LG wire that is preventing the light from coming on. And since the switch is keeping the light connected to this wire, it's not being triggered by the headlight or door switch.

Just a guess based on the diagram, if you have a multimeter you can probe the wires and see where you have voltage and where you have connectivity. You should have ground on the BK/LG wire and +12V on the PK wire. And you should have ground on the YL wire when the door is open, or when the headlight switch is in a position that turns on the dome light. Then finally, you can check for continuity between the PK and BK/LG and between the PK and YL to see what position the button switch is in.

I've got a pic of the wiring in the overhead console if you want to see it. Just let me know and I can post the pic on my website.

JM
Old 03-15-2005, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by AggieJustin
I've got a pic of the wiring in the overhead console if you want to see it. Just let me know and I can post the pic on my website.
That'd be great man.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:19 AM

Here ya go...

Overhead console picture

The push button switches are the black boxes above and below the lights. You can see one black wire going to the light, the other black wire goes to ground. The yellow wire runs to the headlight and door switches.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 AM

HAHA. Oops! I thought you meant a pic of the wiring diagram from the TSB. I have the console sitting here in my lap.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:40 AM

Nevermind! Your description helped! I connected the black wire going from the maplight to the yellow wire going to the switch (that no longer works) and voila!!! The maplight now comes on with the domelights! Thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 02:31 AM

Mine broke also, I went to a junkyard and got the switch out of an overhead console form a mid to late dodge minvan. My lights work good as new. Before that I was trying to fix the switch using parts from a click pen. Min broke that the switch didnt click, along with a loose blub socket, so that one side didnt work at all. Pretty easy to fix also.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by AggiePhil
HAHA. Oops! I thought you meant a pic of the wiring diagram from the TSB. I have the console sitting here in my lap.
Oops...I was originally going to post the wiring diagram, but it covered two pages and wasn't the easiest thing to read. After finding that I had a pretty decent pick of the console from when I took it off to paint it, I figured that would be much easier to include with a description.

JM
Old 03-16-2005, 12:08 PM

How do you get the console down???

I have the same problem as you fellas...
Old 03-16-2005, 12:30 PM

1. Open the garage door opener storage bin door and locate the two overhead console latch tabs near the front of the bin

2. While pulling gently downward on the front of the overhead console, push the latch tabs forward until each latch is disengaged from its receptacle in the inner roof panel.

3. Slide the overhead console rearward far enough to disengage the two mounting hooks on the rear of the housing from the mounting holes in the inner roof panel.

4. Lower the overhead console from the headliner far enough to access the wire harness connector.

5. Disconnect the roof wire harness connector from the overhead console wire harness connector.

6. Remove overhead console from the vehicle.

--------------

Looking at the picture I posted earlier, you can see the two latch tabs on the left side of picture in front of the trip computer. On the right side, you can see the mounting hooks.

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Maplight Button Broken--How to Salvage the Light?