2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

How much to pay for a Salvage Title Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much to pay for a Salvage Title Ram?

I am in search of a little advise on the possible purchase of a 2001 Ram w/ a CTD.

The vital stats are:
2001 cummins, 6-speed, reg. cab, 4x4, with low mileage.

The only problem is it was totalled, and subsequently has a salvage title. The truck was basically totalled out on body damage alone, and the chassis needed only minor repairs. The body repair seems to be pretty well done.

I checked with the kelley blue book, and it gave a price of 17,000 USD for this truck w/ salvage title. The truck used from a dealer is worth 22,700 USD. Is this truck worth pursuing, or am I better off waiting for something with a clean title? Also, do these prices seem close?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience with salvage titled vehicle is that it cuts the value about 30%. Might be hard to get a bank to finance it. In this state, installing a different motor should make it a salvage or bebuilt, but they do not push it. Basically what the salvage means is that the vehicle has been sold as scrap and it no longer exists as a motor vehicle until inspected for safety and never regains its full vehicle status. All this is aimed at unibody cars being welded together at the floor and windshield posts. But they all fall under the same laws. A lot of people were buying these welded together vehicles and they were falling apart in accidents. Hense the insurance problems.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I'd stay away from "salvage" titles. My experience with insurance companies and many years as an accident investigator, has led me to the conclusion that they are not worth the headache and risks. And safety inspections are often very topical. As Dixie said, a lot of salvaged vehicles have issues serious enough for most reputable insurance companies to refuse to insure them. In my opinion, your life is worth more than a few thousand dollars of savings.