Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Postage increase...quit gripping

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yo Top,can I trade you 2 of yours for 7 of mine?Actually I have not had any that speak English for about 7/8 years.We have a pool to see if we get a delivery on a daily basis being a business and all.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Adaminak
Don't have a problem with the USPS as a whole, or mailmen individually. Heck, I'm the product of a union between the mailman and my mother. Of course the mailman was working for General Motors at the time, and didn't know he'd end up being a rural delivery driver.

What I have a problem with is route contractors and the way they can do darn near whatever they want, whenever they want.
Are you referring to rural route drivers as "route contractors " ? Rural route drivers are employees , not contractors . They belong to the National Rural Letter Carriers Association union . When they use their own vehicles they are paid mileage but more and more post offices are getting old city LLV's to use for rural routes . The LLV's were replaced by FFV's in larger cities .
As for the question on retirement , that is where much of the cost problem is . If not for legacy payments the USPS would be operating at a profit rther than losing money . http://usatoday.com/news/washington/...al_N.htm?imw=Y
Old 02-15-2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I don't know about the carriers in your neck of the woods fellas but I have been blessed here with service that is far and above normal duty. My previous carrier retired a couple years ago and I could just about set my watch by consistent delivery times. Not to mention he is a heck of a nice guy and I still see him in the area from time to time.

The carrier that replaced him is an absolute sweetheart and she goes out of her way to keep me from having to walk to the mailbox in the snow. She will get out of her vehicle and hand carry everything to my door and always with a smile

She gets a nice gift card from Walmart from us every year as a token of our appreciation for her exemplary service. I could not be happier with the Mail service we have and I ship a LOT of packages through her.
It's good some people like you appreciate the service .The real problem with USPS is poor management . The workers for the most part are very dedicated . My wife is now a clerk but was a carrier for several years . When there are adverse weather conditions that make driving dangerous USPS workers can stay home and be paid administrative leave . In December '04 we had a record snowstorm a few days before Christmas . A state of emergency was declared and roads were impassable for USPS vehicles but my wife and other employees with 4wd personal vehicles used their vehicles to get all Christmas parcels delivered .
My stepdaughter is a rural carrier . When we had the ice storms last month the post office she works at didn't have power but she went in and did as much of her route as she could , dodging downed trees and power lines .