Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: how long is your hair?
bald - genetically - but it looks good!
7.44%
bald - by choice - low maintenance
11.54%
Mil Spec - barely holds lather when you wash it
43.85%
medium - normal
35.13%
long - on shoulder.
3.08%
very long - down the back
2.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: how long is your hair? why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Poll: how long is your hair? why?

i work at a place that has a lot of retired military (by old navy base in charleston)

and we have a lot of guys who are making up for that 20 years of short hair, by growing a mop now

just saw a little tiny stumpy bald guy with hair down on his shoulders.
looked pretty weird.

what do other people say:
-your hair is too long.
-your hair is too short
-its too gray?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's shorter than the wife likes it. I don't like messing with it, and it's hot in summer here.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Razor bald on the sides, 1/4 guard on top... Marine Corps High and Tight!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm USAF, so most of the time it's 1/2" on top and nothing on the sides. Right now it's buzzed all the way off due to a slight screw up when I cut my hair yesterday . I've been cutting my own hair for 3 years now. I've only screwed up twice counting this time.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:37 AM

I still have all my hair but stress has turned it gray prematurely. I got tired of messing with it so I bought a clipper set a few years ago and cut it myself as close as I can get it without using a razor. I like it this way too. I even started cutting my 3 year old son's hair this way and he seems happier too. I have had a couple people ask if I'm going through chemotherapy but most don't say anything.
I don't really care what others do but yes, seeing a 50+ year old guy with too much hair just looks odd to me.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:46 AM

High and tight if not a flat top. Getting a little grey on the side but my hair is light blonde so it's hard to tell..........yet.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have long hair - about down to the middle of my back. I started to let it grow about 3 years ago just because I could. I kept it short for the last 25 years as active duty Air Force for 20 of them and just had started working my current job when I retired. I do catch a little grief at work as I work in a very conservative environment but for the most part, it's not been a problem.

The wife tells me that if anyone ever told her 5 years ago that she'd be braiding my hair today, she'd have told them they were nuts. I have to keep it in a pony tail at a minimum to keep it presentable. Lately though, I have been considering getting it all cut off as it is a pain to take care of and it gets tangled up when I ride the motorcycle. Plus it seems to be falling out quite a bit more lately - not to mention I am getting a bald spot on top. Maybe I'll go the next extreme, cut it for locks of love and shave the rest.....
Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 PM

No gaurd on the sides and back with clippers and med on top with a part on side done with shears. Have to look some what professinal in my line of work.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another USAF here... and as First Sgt, I have an example to set... but still USAF standards are nothing compared to USMC. I leave 1/2" on top and a #2 cut on the sides.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I leave 1/2" on top and a #2 cut on the sides.
I keep mine about the same way. If there is enough for the old lady to pull when she gets mad at me, theres too much
Old 07-09-2008, 12:35 PM

I letting my freak flag fly , while I still can , no reason to cut , its falling our faster everyday .
Old 07-09-2008, 12:35 PM

I actually used to wear a flatop with the sides and back super close and then I had a 6" rattail which my wife braided and bleached blonde. I cut it off many years ago but I still have it so I can look at it and have one of those "What was I thinking?" moments. I am proud to say I have never had a mullet though....... No offense to anyone who wore or still wears one.....
Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
My hair is somewhere between 2 and 3 inches long and I am due a cut now. I have very thick hair, no danger of losing my hair due to genes.

I have found that if I keep it at least 1-2 inches long, it provides a little safety cushion to help absorb that ringing gong sound caused by Peggy's frying pan
Old 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM

I tried growing mine out a little after I retired ... way too much trouble.

Went back to a #1 on the sides and just long enough on the top to lay down and behave. With the "solar panel" that I have on top these days... long hair would just look plumb goofy.

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
My hair is somewhere between 2 and 3 inches long and I am due a cut now. I have very thick hair, no danger of losing my hair due to genes.

I have found that if I keep it at least 1-2 inches long, it provides a little safety cushion to help absorb that ringing gong sound caused by Peggy's frying pan
and I thought you were going to say ...when working on my friend's FORD...

Last edited by AkitaSumo; 07-09-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added quote

Quick Reply: Poll: how long is your hair? why?