Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Police Officer's Sister Murdered and now the killer wants clemency... Read on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Police Officer's Sister Murdered and now the killer wants clemency... Read on.

Guys, please see the following email below and take action if you feel so inclined. I did and I am sending to as many people as possible to try and show support not only for a fellow law enforcement officer but also for someone who lost his sister in a horrific murder. Make sure you read the PDF attachment too. You will be disgusted. If you decide to take action, it's appreciated. If not, then you simply have to do nothing. Also please pass this on to as many people you know. Lets show our support!!

Jack
--------------

Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 4:05 PM
To: RPD
Subject: Officer Assistance Requested - Please Read

In 2002 a Valentine’s Day ‘prank’ of arson resulted in the murder of my sister, her two roommates and a boyfriend to one of the roommates. The murderer, Janet Danahey, cowardly fled the scene and attempted to conceal the crime. Due to the felony murder rule, Janet was facing the death penalty. Instead of going to a trial where death could have been a punishment, she decided to plead guilty to four murders and arson so that her life may be spared. She agreed to spend the rest of her life in prison without the possibility for parole.

Now just over 10 years from the murders, Janet is petitioning Governor Perdue for clemency and to have her sentence commuted to credit for time served. That is less than 3 years per murder. Janet is once again cowardly running away from her decisions in which she agreed to spend the rest of her life in prison so that she didn’t have to go to a trial where there was a possible punishment of death.

At one point, Janet even became upset at the victims wondering why they couldn’t have just escaped the fire like the other 32 occupants of the apartment building. They tried. Witnesses saw the four of them after they had already made it down the stairs from their third level apartment and were running through the breezeway. Unfortunately, the last stairwell collapsed on the group and they burned to death. The bodies were so badly burnt and intertwined in the debris that the only way they could be identified was by the use of dental records.

Here are the facts:

On the night of February 14, 2002 Janet conspired to play a ‘prank’ on an ex-boyfriend of hers. The ideas ranged from tampering with his motor vehicle by putting fish products on his engine to produce a foul stench, to breaking into his car to scrape of the inspection sticker so he would be charged, to setting an item on fire outside his apartment door and then knocking on the door so he sees it.

After his vehicle could not be located in the parking lot, the plan to set something on fire was decided on. Initially, a box of Christmas decorations was set on fire. This fire quickly extinguished itself and did not produce the desired effect. At that time, lighter fluid was obtained and spread over a futon that was outside on the porch. I should note that this was around 2AM while everyone in the building was asleep. Once the futon was doused in lighter fluid, it was set ablaze. As the fire quickly spread, Janet fled and never knocked on the door so that her ex would see this ‘prank’. She ran back to her nearby apartment where the friends were waiting. They were unaware what Janet had done.

A short time later the group heard the sirens from the fire trucks responding to a now raging apartment fire. They went to the complex and saw the severity of the damage. The roof was burnt off and the center stairwell was collapsed to the three stories, 12 unit building. It was then that Janet placed the lighter fluid and her clothes in a dumpster and left town to her parents house. The other two friends stayed in town and went to the authorities to assist in the investigation. Janet never told her parents of the incident and ultimately, police came to the house and arrested her.

These facts, along with some others that I will not go into detail just to keep it brief, were conveniently left out of the petition that was filed. It is filled with missing facts, half truths, misleading statements, subterfuge, deceit and rhetoric all in order to sway the Governor and the public to support Janet. It paints a picture that Janet had immediately accepted responsibility for the fire, was just playing an innocent ‘prank’ and attempts to cast blame on others and on the justice system. The key argument is that there was no ‘intent’ to commit a murder and that the application of the felony murder rule is not appropriate.

Now here is what I am asking your help in:

To make it easy, I have attached a letter with various points that I feel someone might have to be in support of the opposition to clemency. If one does not apply to you then delete it and if you have other reasons then please add them.

-If you support me as a fellow friend, officer, human being then I ask you to sign the attached letter.

-If you support the felony murder rule then I ask you to sign the attached letter.

-If you feel that just 10 years in prison is not enough for 4 murders then I ask you to sign the attached letter.

-If you detest the deceit, half truths, subterfuge and rhetoric used in the petition by the attorneys then I ask you to sign the attached letter.

-If you have any other personal reason or professional reason to oppose clemency then I ask you to sign the attached letter.

Once you are done with the letter, adding your name and modifying it to your own beliefs, you can submit it in various ways. You can print it out to sign and then mail or fax it in or you can save it and attach it to an email or copy and paste it into the email itself and send it. Here is the following information on where to send it to:

Governor's Clemency Office
4294 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4294
Phone: 919-715-1695
Fax: 919-715-8623
e-mail: clemency@nc.gov

If you do decide to send a letter I would appreciate it if you could email me or ‘cc’ me on an email you send in so I would have a rough estimate of how many letters will be sent.

If for personal reasons you do not agree then I am not asking you to do anything at all, simply disregard this email as you are entitled to your own opinion and I will not attempt to sway you.

If you do agree then your help will be greatly appreciated. This is more than just me asking for help for my sister. This is a case involving many different aspects that should garner support for different reasons such as those stated above.

I also ask you to please forward this on to any personal or professional organizations that you know such as other departments, officers, dispatchers, firefighters, district attorneys, etc.

Unfortunately there is a deadline to sending letters in so please complete it by Friday, August 10th if you wish to show your support.

Attached are 3 documents; the first is the general letter that you can complete to send in, the second is my personal letter to the Governor in case you wish to know more details and the third is the actual petition being filed by Janet Danahey if you wish to read it in its entirety.

Thank you for the time to read this and thank you for any and all assistance.

Sincerely,

Master Officer M.R. Harris
Raleigh Police Department
Matthew.Harris@raleighnc.gov
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
danahey_clempetition.pdf (293.3 KB, 603 views)
File Type: docx
GenericOpinionStatement.docx (18.3 KB, 231 views)
File Type: docx
MyOpinionStatement.docx (31.8 KB, 221 views)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the word psychopathic "female dog" ring a bell? Best thing for her is an extremely slow, yet an extremely painful death.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

we so desperately need to hang a few more people... out in public. sell tickets and hotdogs....
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 PM
DTR Founder

Agreed. We can do our part to keep her from getting out now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
A short rope and a long drop is definitely called for here.....
Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I like how the petition states that "faced with the unbelievable horror of what happened, Janet wanted the comfort of her family........there she waited for the inevitable visit from law enforcement "

In reality she had hidden the lighter fluid and her clothes in a dumpster and went to her parents house to hide out without telling them what she had done.
Maybe she didn't plan on killing the four people who did die (who knows what she wanted to have happen to the ex-boyfriend) but
setting the fire at 0200, not knocking on the door, and not raising an alarm when the fire got out of control needs to be punished more than the ten years she has served.

Hope the Gov is able to see through the BS.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 PM
DTR Founder

Bark you hit the nail on the head! She is full of crap

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Yep....like Charlie Daniels stated in his song, "Simple Man"....I'd take a big tall tree and a short piece of rope....I'd hang 'em up high and let 'em swing till the sun goes down...."

You just can't fix stupid!!!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by jhenson
You just can't fix stupid!!!!!
sure you can...

you take the dumbest species on the planet, you kill enough of them, they start to realize that certain actions are gonna get them killed.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like to talk to you about this. I have some ideas and info that may yield desirable results.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
I like how the petition states that "faced with the unbelievable horror of what happened, Janet wanted the comfort of her family........there she waited for the inevitable visit from law enforcement "

In reality she had hidden the lighter fluid and her clothes in a dumpster and went to her parents house to hide out without telling them what she had done.
Maybe she didn't plan on killing the four people who did die (who knows what she wanted to have happen to the ex-boyfriend) but
setting the fire at 0200, not knocking on the door, and not raising an alarm when the fire got out of control needs to be punished more than the ten years she has served.

Hope the Gov is able to see through the BS.
Bark,

I agree. She was sentenced to life without parole for murder. She should seek a way to repay society for their loss within the boundaries of that sentence, not ask to move beyond it.

She served as judge & jury and and sentenced four people to death. There were also other victims of this crime. The residents in the building, the firefighters who couldn't save them, the families that lost them, the parents deprived of their love, the future grandchildren who never existed, and their simple presence. I hope the Governor does the right thing.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:41 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
It's beyond my capability understanding as to why Mr. Robert J. Harris would be petitioning for her release.

She deserves to be put to death (an eye for an eye theory that I have) , yet he's requesting her freedom ??????

I just don't get it.... and never will
Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 AM

Cant fix stupid, just bury it very deep.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Let her out, wait a few months or years and take care of the issue with a scope and speedy projectile.. Be sure to do it from a safe distance.