Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pistol carrying question in pa

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pistol carrying question in pa

Ive been trying to find out for but havent got a straight answer yet. Can you carry a pistol without any permits on you if its in plain open sight? I heard no and yes if its in plain sight. I searched on the net but everything always says, the license to carry allows you to carry a gun consealed anywhere on you, and can go anywhere except the certain locations. I can walk around with a shot gun or rifle slinged on my should i should be able to have my revolver on my hip right.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:43 PM

packing.org used to be a great reference for that stuff. Never take anything you read on the web for truth when guns are concerned. Know your state laws and be ready to quote exactly what state stat you refer to. packing.org used to reference the state stats so you could read and interperate for yourself. Appears the site has disapeared
Old 01-21-2008, 05:49 PM

www.handgunlaw.us
click on the All States link on the left and it will bring up a page that references all states and the associated stats. Hopefully PA has their stats viewable online, most states do now. However, sometimes the online stats are 1-2 years old so be cautious of changing stats in your legislature.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks tinkerin w stuff. Ill check that out and see what it says.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Chapter President

here is another good one, seems like packin.org was not working last time I tried it, but go here,

http://www.legallyarmed.com/

It has info for all states and you can listen to. Also what states notice other states permits and so on.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 PM

Call your county courthouse and ask.
I got mine about 10 years ago, There were 2 types , a sportsman permit and concealed. I forgot to renew mine, now I dont have one.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM

In Pennsylvania, persons whom are not prohibited by law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun in plain sight with no license. Except in vehicles, cities of the first class (Philadelphia) and where prohibited specifically by statute.
PA Open Carry

PA Firearm Owners Association
Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 PM

He's asking about open carry, not conceal. Many states have protected open carry that does not require a permit like Wisconsin. However, I still wouldn't have the guts to walk into a Madison grocery story with my .357 on my hip. But I used to carry mine all the time while riding horse. There were exceptions to open carry in WI like while on an ATV or in a vehicle.

Other states have no provision for open carry. I believe Minnesota has no provisions for open carry, if you want to carry, you better have a conceal carry permit or a hunting license and be in the woods or target shooting.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Oh, and I wouldn't ask a courthouse. First off, they aren't there to give permission and heresay won't count if some clerk gives you inacurate information. You must know the laws yourself. Ignorance in this case will not keep you out of jail and could prevent you from owning firearms in the future.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by tinkerin-w-stuf
Oh, and I wouldn't ask a courthouse. First off, they aren't there to give permission and heresay won't count if some clerk gives you inacurate information. You must know the laws yourself. Ignorance in this case will not keep you out of jail and could prevent you from owning firearms in the future.
I say courthouse because the sheriff of the county issues the permits and there office is usauly in the courthouse. link
Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by tinkerin-w-stuf
However, I still wouldn't have the guts to walk into a Madison grocery story with my .357 on my hip.
That's for sure. They'd throw you in the slammer for disorderly conduct before you made it past the checkout lanes. But our ultra-liberal governor has his own armed bodyguards to protect him, so the rest of us can just eat cake.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You can legally carry openly in PA but in most areas you are likely to be hassled. Most places of business will ask you to leave and they are within their rights to do so. Better to have the permit and keep things quiet.