Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Camper carrying

Old 12-20-2002, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Camper carrying

Drifter,<br> I'd be a little concerned about your weights. The loaded slide in has got to be bumping the 4k mark. That would put your gross at close to 11000 pounds on a 8800 rated truck. I think you would also probably be at or over the rated weight for the tires.<br> I would be much more comfortable with that rig on a one ton truck.<br>Bill
Old 12-21-2002, 09:07 AM

Bill 1374 is right. I went thru the same thing with my '02 2500. Started with a 10 1/2 ft Northern Lite camper, and liked it, but tho' the spec plate said something like 2800#, it weighed out on the scales at around 3400. Truck carried it OK, (see my web link) but it swayed pretty bad, and I was mainly worried about insurance dumping me if I got in a wreck, and they caught me at that weight. Traded for an 8 ft. Northland that isn't nearly as nice, but weighs 800 lbs less, tho' it still weighs 600# more ON THE SCALES than the lying spec plate says. Truck handles like a big sports car now, and tho' I'm still overweight, I think it's within reason now. GVW is 8800#, and empty weight - on the scales - is right at 7000#. The spring supports especially, and the air bags, and Rancho 9000's made a huge difference too. Take a look at
Old 12-21-2002, 09:11 AM

??? ??? ??? Why do I have so much trouble getting the $#%$^ URL's to work ?? Try again...........
Old 12-21-2002, 09:14 AM

&gt; &gt; &gt; One more try, and to H with it ! ! ! Fool Thing ! ! ! www.biglar.homestead.com/springsupport.html
Old 12-21-2002, 09:15 AM
Chapter President

http://www.biglar.homestead.com/springsupport.html<br><br>you need the http:// :P
Old 12-21-2002, 09:23 AM

;D ;D ;D Guess I shoulda mentioned too, that I've got around 15,000 camper miles on those nylon blocks now, including a trip from SoCal to Alaska, and the Canadian Rockies. I'm totally sold on them............simple, cheap, and WHAT a difference. Lar.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:29 AM

Drifter,<br> You are right, 6k axle and 3k tires each. However if you think your weights at 11k pounds which you are probably right at, I suspect your rear axle weight will make the 6 k mark. The only way to be sure is to weight the rig.<br> I'm almost in the same boat with my fifth but with less weight over. With my pin weight, my truck is at 91 to 92 hundred. Like yours, it handles the weight ok but I'm just uncomfortable running that heavy. I'm shopping for a one ton now.<br>Bill
Old 12-23-2002, 12:24 PM

[quote author=biglar link=board=11;threadid=8596;start=0#83210 date=1040483239]<br> web link) I was mainly worried about insurance dumping me if I got in a wreck, and they caught me at that weight. Traded for an 8 ft. Northland that isn't nearly as nice, but weighs 800 lbs less, tho' it still weighs 600# more ON THE SCALES than the lying spec plate says. Truck handles like a big sports car now, and tho' I'm still overweight, I think it's within reason now. look <br>[/quote]<br><br>So now you've got a less nicer camper, AND you're STILL over the truck GVW. Overweight is overweight, if you're worried about the insurance company dropping you.<br><br>Just about every truck camper out there is in the same boat, over their GVW weight. What is a person to do?? Go out and buy 450 and 550 rated trucks?? How many of THEM do you see out on the roads??<br><br>If you use some common sense and don't exceed any component ratings or tire ratings, and WERE NOT THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT, my insurance carrier (Farmers) told me they wouldn't give you any trouble.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:09 PM

8) 8) Yah, what you say is very true...........tho' I don't think I have the guts to ask MY agent. (also Farmer's) Just might come back and bite me someday. I might as well admit, too, that I'm looking for another camper. No hurry.........won't really need it till next summer - then I plan to live in it for 3 months, and in the meantime this one is doing OK for my needs. Depending on plans, I tow either the Baja Bug or the boat, and go play. I'd like to strike a happy medium...........the 8 footer I've got is poorly set up inside, has only single battery and propane, etc. The 1st one (Northern Lite 10 1/2 ft) was great, but was so high and heavy that even with my famous spring blocks, it still swayed pretty good. I'll sniff around and see if I can find better than what I have, without going to the previous extreme. 10,500 +/- lbs is just TOO much for a 3/4 ton truck.............in my opinion. Right now, it weighs - loaded for the road - right at 9600#, and handles like a BIG sports car. What Fun ! ! ! Lar.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:12 PM

I seem to have real fun attaching things to these messages. Here's another try at showing off 2 of my babies. Lar.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:01 AM

;D ;D ;D OK, I hear ya, and I'm almost there myself. Just for interest value tho', why don't you take it down and weigh it BEFORE you load it. I t'ink you may be in for an awakening. I'd be real surprised if that sticker isn't at least 500# optimistic. Been there Lar.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:22 PM

Re:Hey Drifter!!!

RJ in Montana here. Shoot me an email as I have a few camper questions for you. I purchased a '99 Citation 9 1/2' camper in October and would like to hear from any current owners with advice or opinions on these units. I also purchased a 2000 3/4T ram/cummins in October. I wander over to E. Washington about monthly to beat up on the walleye there. Email me and we'll talk. Thanks for your help, RJ in Montana....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camper carrying