Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Camper carrying

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Camper carrying

The weight stickers on the camper are "wet" weights. This includes water and propane. It does not include wast water, options, and gear. My 3K camper weighs about 3500 LBS loaded. I hauled it around on my 8800 GVW 250 Ford with airbags and extra front spring. Add in the tongue weight of my boat and I was pushing 4K. I had to keep the speed down under 60 and avoid high winds :. I just bought 02 3500 with the camper package and 11,500 GVW. Loaded with boat I'm running 11,400 on the truck ;D. With the dually I don't have to worry about wind and keeping at 60 8) . It definitly lowers the stress level of traveling. You can do it with a SRW, just be careful where, when, and how fast you travel.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:51 AM

Re:Hey Drifter (II)

I didn't get your message. Please resend. Let me help you out by leaving my email this time!! Sorry about that.. jimenez@montana.com. Give me a shout, I'd like to talk to you about your camper/pickup combo. Mainly the camper to see if there's any advice you have regarding them and their maintanance. I will be out this afternoon thru sunday evening elk hunting. Leave email and I'll get back to you sunday night or monday if we don't talk today. See ya and thanks for the reply..RJ in Montana..
Old 12-29-2002, 12:30 PM

Fellas, interesting reading. I have a '02 2500 4x4 with aout trans and haul 10'2" Northern Lite, awesome camper, I added air bags to level the load and take out the sway I've had it in some pretty windy territory and some stiff cross winds, it handles great, perhaps not as well as as sports car, but what is to gain in a 1 ton? 2 extra tires? I've checked and I have the same spring pack and rearend as a 1 ton, and it's hard enough to get around town here in SoCal without a dually, as far as legal weight goes, the DOT in most sates have laws that limit the weight a pick-up can carry, regardless of Man'f GVW, in Ca. it's 1500lbs I know it's not enforced so, lets just say we're all illegal and go with what works, in a year or so when I step up tp a 5th wheel, I'm going for a Frieghtliner RV Hauler with a Cat!
Old 12-30-2002, 11:11 AM

Re:Drifter (III)

I'm not sure whats up Drifter, your email did not come through. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you'd like to resend, please do so. I know my mail is working as I just downloaded about 40 messages. If you don't want to bother, I understand. See ya later, RJ in Montana. jimenez@montana.com
Old 12-31-2002, 11:09 AM

Master_Diver, the extra tires make a big difference in stability. I don't think the drive train or springs are much different between the 2500 and 3500. I drive almost exclusivly in the mountains, and 85% of the miles I put on it are loaded miles. I make a run to go fishing or hunting almost every weekend through the curvey coast range. With the dually I gain an extra 5-10 MPH on the corners. I don't have a pack of cars behind me at every passing lane. It also lowers the weight on each rear tire and makes it less prone to rock puncters on gravel logging roads. If I didn't use my camper as much as I do, a SRW would be fine. I think running a 3K camper on a 2500 is fine as long as your comfortable with it. I ran my SRW 2k over the rated GVW for years without any accidents, although I did make a few unexpected lane changes in high winds. My dad is still running a SRW with his camper, although he's shopping for a DRW after driving mine . My wife even drives now when were on trips, she only drove my SRW loaded once.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a piece of information. The sticker that is in all campers is misleading ???, The number that you are most interested in is the UVW number, This is an Unloaded Vehicle Weight.<br>That number is of base weight without options, water, battery, or camping equipment.<br>I have found that these numbers are anywhere from 100# to has much as 1000# off.<br>I pull trailers for Forest River, and they have alot of different types and many different floor plans....and I have yet to find one that will weight what it says.<br>Just thought i could help a little.<br>Allen
Old 01-02-2003, 09:42 PM

8)I have a `98 with the tow package and it has the extra set of springs. We have a `97 9' 6&quot; Lance Squire. The wet weight is suppose to be 2647 or there abouts. I had the dealer put on the A/C unit, so it maybe closer to 2700lbs, now. <br>Thus far, mine has handled great! Easy on the turns and dips.<br>Lance says 10' is the rule of thumb. Anything over 10', they recommend going to a duelly. <br>The whole GVW thing is a bit of a pain. First of all, these campers are built for our trucks. Our trucks are built to carry campers, it is right in the owner's manual. Most of our trucks even are semi pre-wired for campers. <br>Technically, the campers that would keep us in the GVW spec are the ones they advertize suitable for a 1/2 ton truck.<br>I am not (yet) running air bags. Loaded, with water, as well, since I was dry camping, fall/winter clothes, food, tools, 2 kids, wife and dog. The truck set nearly perfectly level. No rear end sag. It does not look like I am running heavy.<br>I am not sure how they come up with our GVWs, as our trucks have huge brakes. The 1 tons with 16&quot; wheels can't have much more brake, if any larger, as mine nearly rub my rims. <br>This fall, I had it loaded as I said and flat towed my CJ7 up into the Western Maryland mountains, into Garrett County and had no problems.Never felt unstable or real hard to stop.<br>Never the less, I hope to eventually save up the bucks to upgrade my auto and install an exhaust brake for some CYA.<br>Driving conservative I feel goes a long ways toward being safe.<br>I honestly believe our trucks are more than safe with our campers and built to handle them. I remember many years ago a contraversy in regards to the GVW on 3/4 tons, as many urban areas prohibit trucks over 3/4 ton or 10,000 lbs. gvw on many main streets. So, many contractors went with a lower GVW rating.<br>I bet you can't find an electrical or mechanical contractor that runs within his trucks's GVW. Personally, I really do not understand the entire setup.<br>If you put a utility body or a normal camper on your pickup, you are techanically over the GVW. Yet, the trucks are designed to carry them. ??? ???<br>I was getting a bit nervous about this, as I plan to go to Florida this summer. Reading your posts and giving this some thought, I feel (really hope to) that I will be in great shape.<br>I just do not want Johnnie Law screwing up my families trip nor my investment!<br>See ya! 8)
Old 02-07-2003, 10:24 PM

Picking up a 2002 10`Artic fox camper monday. I called Right Way spring in Tacoma WA, they have a replacement overload spring pack that is rated at 3000# about $300.00. Talking to Bill at A1 rv in Silverdale WA, this set up will take care of the extra weight and the sway. I will be putting this on as I will be towing a car trailer with my 3500# jeep on it behind the camper . Any one have this set up? Also plan on installing a set of rancho rs 9000 shocks.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:16 PM

Interesting. I'm gonna hafta go re-weigh my '02 2500 CTD; QC; LWB; 4X6, etc. Hmmm.............mighta answered myself right there. When I weighed it last year - empty - it weighed right at 7,000 lbs. (6970 w/o tailgate) Had some fuel, but not full, I wasn't in it, and prob'ly 20 lbs or so of tools under back seat. If yours is a 2WD, that, and the std cab might just make such a difference. Still, 1,000 lbs seems like a lot. Any others have verified weights ?? Based on previous conversations, I'm going to go ahead and get a little bigger camper fairly soon. As someone pointed out a while back - I'm overweight with my 8' camper anyway, so what's a little more ?? That, and with so many carrying much bigger campers on 3/4 tons with pleasure &amp; success for many years. I'm gonna live in it for 2 - 3 months this summer, and I want a little more comfy. Lar.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:25 AM

I have weighed my truck. It is a little different than most. It is a 3500 with a steel deck flatbed, standard cab 4X4. With 3/4 tank of fuel and without me in it, it weighs 7980. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Camper carrying