Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Not what I wanted....but does the job

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Not what I wanted....but does the job

So I have been looking for a small mig welder but haven't found the right one. Last week the generator seized up(cracked a rod). So dad went out and bought a miller bobcat 250 nt. 20 horse kohler and a 10k generator. It is ready for stick welding and you can buy a "suitcase" mig welder to bolt on the top of it.

The thing runs very nice and will power anything I need it to. Do you know of any web sites that will have leads for it cheep? what sticks do i want.....wont be welding anything but a truck bed with it. just looking for cheep sticks that anyone can use. I have done some stick welding so i know how to start the arc and keep it welding, but what i would like is a stick that is wicked easy to use.

Coop
Old 08-26-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a little overkill there don't ya think!!

Rick
Old 08-26-2005, 06:27 PM

We live in the sticks and can loose power for 2 weeks at a time. So we kinda needed something to power the house. The generator we were using wasn't ours and it was only a 4400.

Coop
Old 08-26-2005, 06:37 PM

Goodness gracious, that thing ought to welld up a Navy ship! No worries about power now, eh??!! There are some welding forums on the web, I read one from http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/ that is good about answering questions. There are others as well, just google welding forums. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:50 PM

Thanks Tiny.

Coop
Old 08-26-2005, 07:55 PM

you can buy the welding cable, ground clamps, electrode holder and lugs for the machine and just make your own cables. we do that at work..

7018 rod is pretty easy to weld with if it is good and dry/hot...

there are some stainless steel rods that you can use on mild steel that are very easy to strike an arc with and get a good weld with. you can dig them in as hard as you can and they don't stick.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:17 PM

when i arc welded in school we used 2 kinds of sticks. on that had to be held at about 1/4 inch off the metal, the other we used could be held right on the metal. is the 7018 one that can be held on the metal?

Coop
Old 08-27-2005, 04:44 AM

I'm trying to save for one of those. I would really want the diesel genset but not for an extra 4K Hopefully by the end of the yr I might be able to swing one, after my tranny and other bombs! Gotta make sure the truck has enough power to tow that around........ummm yea thats it!
Old 08-27-2005, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Nice!

Originally posted by mainer
when i arc welded in school we used 2 kinds of sticks. on that had to be held at about 1/4 inch off the metal, the other we used could be held right on the metal. is the 7018 one that can be held on the metal?

Coop
Long ones and short ones?

That is a mighty nice welder... For what that cost, they should have thrown the MIG for free.
I remember there used to be a rod that anyone could use, I think it would ride on the coating or the slag.
After you play with it for awhile it is fairly easy to master the arc.
Just listen for the crackling sound of frying bacon for the right distance.
6011 will burn through any rust but it is dirty with spatter, 7018 is alot cleaner.
Go to a welding supply and they will usually let you play with diffrent welders and rods.
If you don't have one, get a GOOD auto darkening helmet. Makes it alot easier to stike the arc where you really wanted it to be.
The only thing I still can't quite master, is overhead.

Lookin good. Jim
Old 08-27-2005, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coop,

I think you're referring to 6013 rod. That's the closest I can remember that would allow you to do that, (keep the rod in contact with the base metal). 6013 delivers a 'soft' arc as opposed to 6011 which really 'digs' into the metal. If I remember right, you're going to be doing light guage metal, so I don't think you want anything that digs! 7018 is good rod too, but used more for things that need a high holding strength. It's a little trickier to use too if you're not used to it, and can be difficult to restart a partially used rod.

I don't know how successful you'll be stick welding light guage material. I'm not saying it can't be done, but if you're not doing it everyday, it might become quite frustrating very quickly!

Good luck! (Nice machine BTW!)

chaikwa.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:12 AM

I've always used 6011 and 7018 for all my general welding. One is a drag rod and one you really need to maneuver. I never remember which is which and end up doing a few test burns to refresh my memory.

For body work, I would just turn the heat down low and use a skinny rod.

PISTOL
Old 08-27-2005, 10:45 AM

Coop
Yes,

u can knock the flux off of a 7018 rod and use is as a filler rod for larger gaps so that you wont eat away at the metal, a mig welder sure is better for welding gaps tho.. much easier. Another way perhaps is heliarc, or tig welding, where u have the little footpedal thing, or bronze welding, either of those u can use filler rod.

6013 seems to be sort of like a beginners rod, its easier to turn on, and as chaikawa said, it does not deliver as aggressive a weld as 6011, I personally use 6011 for anything i weld just about, and i see no difference between 6011 and 7018, But the main difference is 6011 is a deep penetration rod with good fast freeze qualities, and 7018 is a shallow penetration rod with little or no fast freeze qualities... Regardless, if i have to weld somethin that heavy duty, i just take it to my father.... i just weld little thing here and there for me.. hope this helps..

Tx
Old 08-27-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by PistolWhipt
I've always used 6011 and 7018 for all my general welding. One is a drag rod and one you really need to maneuver. I never remember which is which and end up doing a few test burns to refresh my memory.

For body work, I would just turn the heat down low and use a skinny rod.

PISTOL
that would be the 7018 rod..

It leaves ALOT OF SLAG at times, and you really need to manuever it to get a deeper penetration and get more of both the metals that you are trying to weld together.

The skinny rod you probably use if im not mistaken is a 6011 3/32 thickness rod, works really well from 65-90 A/C amps on ur machine...

Tx
Old 08-27-2005, 01:37 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Re: Not what I wanted....but does the job

So dad went out and bought a miller bobcat 250 nt. 20 horse kohler and a 10k generator.
Does Dad need another son????

Man that thing is nice. I have been looking for a nice welder but WOW I really like that one!

Britt

Old 08-27-2005, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by 2500CTD
I'm trying to save for one of those. I would really want the diesel genset but not for an extra 4K Hopefully by the end of the yr I might be able to swing one, after my tranny and other bombs! Gotta make sure the truck has enough power to tow that around........ummm yea thats it!

I wanted the diesel too but for 6100 it wasn't worth it. This welder is last years model. A buddy of mine runs a big rig garrage, so he got it for us for $2800. I see your location....buy one before you go to Flordia. You will never find one down there.

My buddy is going to give me a bunch of different rods for my to mess around with. I dont think I will be welding body work with it, too much of a pain. I can barrow a 220 mig from someone for my body work. only thing i will be welding with this are truck beds.

Does Dad need another son????
Dont think so.....just got rid of one. took him to school last weekend. Kinda nice with out him around here.

Coop

Quick Reply: Not what I wanted....but does the job