Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

NJ Commercial Registered truck owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
NJ Commercial Registered truck owners

Hey fellas

NJ has adopted a NJDOT Number requirement here, and told NO ONE ABOUT IT !!

well, as usual, they put the burden of "knowing" on the poor fella who doesn't work for the state, wasn't notified, didn't become aware until he was pulled over and ticketed for the violation which he knew previously had nothing to do with him, as he was an intrastate NJ Commercially registered truck owner.

So previously, NJ did not require NJ DOT numbers on commercial trucks under 26,000 that stayed "in state" for work. Well, as of Jan. 1 2017, that previous rule (and assumption) is no longer valid. NJ (NOW) requires all commercially registered trucks over 10,001 weight to be NJ DOT Compliant with FMCSA DOT Numbers printed on the side of the trucks, otherwise you will be FINED!

READ HERE: NJ Adoption | New Jersey State Police

Not sure if we're supposed to have a medical card as of yet, but I'm sure that's either required, or at minimum in the wings.

Another Big Brother foot in the butt for ya !

BTW, I wasn't notified. No one was notified. I heard it from a guy who knows a guy who was TICKETED for it this week, and as usual, you are responsible for knowing the laws, following the laws, even though you were never notified of the change.

Have fun....
Old 03-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
I wonder what the supposed need for that one is?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by deere country
I wonder what the supposed need for that one is?
Added revenue in the state coffers.
Arlington VA has classified all 350/3500 series vehicle as "commercial" for tax purposes for years. ( whether they are for personal use or business)
NJ has just upped the ante.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Luckily you found out the easy way
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Luckily you found out the easy way

Actually, it was the hard way.... these guys caught me off guard today, and it appears that they have been, and still are doing the same thing even today. Yes I got hit today, and I hope this thread will prevent it from happening to you.

Attorney General Cracks Down On Telemarketers Duping Truckers | CDLLife

Warning !!
Today, after I filed my application with the FMCSA, I had a question regarding my application. I called back and got a message that it was about a 30 minute wait, and I could either hold or have them call me back. I chose the latter, regretfully...

While I was waiting for the actual federal agency to call me back, a scammer called me up representing that he was there as my contact for my application. He said that I needed to fill out some missing items, and there would be further phone calls and documents required to fill out, yes to get my DOT number. Since I had been on the phone, talking to several hundred different people / departments and other trying to get this started, he caught me off guard. This guy knew almost everything about what I just filled out on my application. How in the world do these people sleep at night ???

So, he's "verifiying" the public information which I just typed into the application (which led me to believe he was legitimate), he says I need to pay the application processing fee that was "allowable" by the feds to get my dot numbers. After dealing the the idea that my trucks were now targets by state troopers for this new "unannounced requirement", I fell for his mumbo jumbo and gave him my cc information and the ok to process the "processing fee".

YES I'm A big IDIOT ! I know....

thinking about it after, I called my cc company, disputed the charge, and closed out my cc card as as being a fraud charge. I called the FMCSA back and after waiting about a half hour got through to one of their guys who said that I just got duped. They do not and will not ever charge my CC card for anything as it's a free federal service. Yes, he confirmed I'm an idiot, and that I have quite a few friends out there who also fell for the same line of crap.. They helped me fix the incorrect items on my application and provided me my new DOT number.

So, again, fair warning to you guys out there. Don't pay your dues into the "you're an idiot" club like I just did.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
The stinks Mr. T
Now repeat after me...

I Pity The Fool!

Maybe I watched one too many A-team episodes.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
mknittle (03-11-2017), NJTman (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 05:19 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The moment you do anything with DOT it becomes public.
i get calls from all over the usa and if I don't recognize it, I don't answer it.
after the first few and listening to their requests I suspected something was not in line. A call to usdot confirmed and and yes its just as slow as any state DOT.

sorry you had to experience that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scotty:
mknittle (03-11-2017), NJTman (03-11-2017)