Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mini trip to Ozark Arkansas - What is a must see

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini trip to Ozark Arkansas - What is a must see

Well I have got to fly out to Ozark Arkansas to visit my sister for 4-5 days. I probably wont be getting back there for sometime. I figure if I have to go I may as well see some site(s) around the area. I have heard some say Branson......Clinton library in Liitle Rock?.

I'm just looking for a one day trip type thing just to see something interesting.

Heading out Sept. 7th and returning Sept 12th.............any must see sites guys?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Branson would be ok if you want to see some good shows but you have to deal with 900 million people and the traffic is terrible...something you should be used to in CA. Petit Jean Mt in Morrilton is neat; they have a car museum there and a 100' + water fall with some beautiful scenery. One thing you need to see is Blanchard Springs cavern. I think it would be @ 2 hrs from you but it is something that you would never forget. Heck, you could make a day out of floating the Buffalo River and Blanchard Springs.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 PM

I'd check out the caves. The worlds only "open to the public" diamond mine is in Arkansas.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wineries at Altus. Post Family, Wiederkear(?), Mount Bethel.
The abby at Subiaco. Wine and pepper sauces.
Fishing on Lake Dardanelle.
Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum and the USS Razorback, SS-394 (in service from 1944 to 2002) at Little Rock.
The Clinton Presidential Trailer House in Little Rock.
Pickle Gap Creek north of Conway.
Ozark Folk Center at Mountain View.
Bill's birth place in Hope.
Where he grew up in Hot Springs.
Ft. Smith has quite a bit of historical stuff.
Elvis' barber chair for his first Army haircut at Ft. Chaffee.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:40 PM

The Ozark Folk Center is at Mt View. It's just a few miles from the caves at Blanchard Springs. Mt View is where the folks play music most of the day around the courthouse. The Courtroom where the "hanging Judge" held court is in Ft. Smith is still in use and is open. Hot Springs is south, the steam baths are still open. Eureka Springs is north. White River, Norfork River [Mt Home], Little Red River [Heber Springs] is the location of the worlds record Brown Trout. Bull Shoals and Norfolk Lakes for fishing.
You could go to Toad Suck Park just to say you've been there.
And try the Rivertown Restaurant for some good barbecue.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Arkansas
The Ozark Folk Center is at Mt View. It's just a few miles from the caves at Blanchard Springs. Mt View is where the folks play music most of the day around the courthouse. The Courtroom where the "hanging Judge" held court is in Ft. Smith is still in use and is open. Hot Springs is south, the steam baths are still open. Eureka Springs is north. White River, Norfork River [Mt Home], Little Red River [Heber Springs] is the location of the worlds record Brown Trout. Bull Shoals and Norfolk Lakes for fishing.
You could go to Toad Suck Park just to say you've been there.
And try the Rivertown Restaurant for some good barbecue.
Is Jr. Cobb still alive and whittling? The area around Bull Shoals is great. Go see the Trout farms. Go to Flippin and Tour the Ranger Boat Factory. I guess they still give them?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 PM

Jr. Cobb

I live in Mtn Home but haven't heard of him in a long time. I believe he is still kickin. Last I heard, he was still a couple fries short of a happy meal. He is/was a dang good whittler, no matter the fry count.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

If you go to the clinton library, stop by Bosco's. a few blocks from the library, they have great micro brew and the food aint bad either.

In and around Ozark, just the pig trail is a great drive and a few corners with a chance to see if your tail lights are still working.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
I live in Mtn Home but haven't heard of him in a long time. I believe he is still kickin. Last I heard, he was still a couple fries short of a happy meal. He is/was a dang good whittler, no matter the fry count.

I hear ya on the Happy Meal. The first time I drove by his house I remember seeing his kids cruising the yard on the lawnmower. No deck, no grass, just a slower version of a go cart. Something my cousin's and I would have done when we were growing up. I have a few things that he whittled. The man was/is talented. I used to spend some time around the Bull Shoals area. I haven't been there in over 20 years though.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 AM

Take a drive up the "PIGTRAIL", yes that is the official name of highway 23 north out of Ozark. Very nice "slow" drive. As senic as highway 16 north out of Woodland (one of my favorite roads, along with 36 in northern Ca.).
Old 08-26-2007, 11:44 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

If you have google earth, goto 35°38'40.87"N 93°50'11.78"W at about 5000 ft elevation. so see one of the good switch backs.
The images were taken in the winter, right now, all the trees are green, it would be a great drive.