Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Mailbox Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:12 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Mailbox Question

I happen to live on the side of the street where the mailboxes are located. (Bought the place 6 mo. ago) I have my mailbox and the neighbor's accross the street are both in my yard. Not a big deal.

Both boxes were different styles, on different posts and needing a little TLC so I bought a couple NEW boxes and a little lumber and put them up both on a single post. This greatly improved the look of MY yard and made mowing around the post easier. (the old setup hat 2 posts spaced apart enough that grass would grow well but too close to mow between).

Now the problem. After I left for work tonight, My wife calls and says the neighbor comes over complaining that I had no right to replace her mailbox. Says that she dosen't like the style box I put up and wants the old one put back up.

I can't find any info on USPS regulations regarding this situation. Both mailboxes are installed in accordance with mounting regs such as height, setback and size.

Anyone have experience in this kind of situation? TIA.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the mailboxes in fact in your yard or on the road right of way ? If actually on your property I'd say you have a right to say what you allow but since mailboxes have to be so close to the road there is doubt whether they are actually on your property . Have you called your postmaster ? I posted your question on a ruralcarriers forum . Watch for responses here . http://forums.delphiforums.com/ruralcarriers/messages
Old 07-25-2008, 03:14 AM

i would assume that the property that the mailboxes are on, is considered an eavesment, and technically you didn't have a right to remove her mailbox. i would give your county office a call and ask them if you are allowed to change the boxes without her consent, then take several minutes to shake your head in disbelief that she would even care about you changing out the box.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:23 AM

RickG- thanks for the link. I haven't talked with the Postmaster ( didn't forsee a problem) but I am planning on it. May just take a while as I am working nightshift this week.

There is a utility right of way but I'm required to maintain the area. ( Mow the grass, sweep gravel, shovel snow, etc.)

chipmonk- My head never quits shaking in disbelief anymore. Peoples stupidity is amazing.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:43 AM

Duct tape the old mailbox to her door! JK
Old 07-25-2008, 03:43 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Sorry ma'am, the old box seemed to be attracting a lot of snakes and spiders and such. I thought I'd save you some trouble and put a frsh one up, they can't get into...

Or, put the old one up. Back into it after a couple days and leave it laying there. Tell her to pick up her mess, p.s., I know where you can get another.

OBTW, it's a felony, I believe to tamper with a box or the mail, but accidents are accidents.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:53 AM

There are several responses that I would LIKE to give but in the interest of being neighborly......
Old 07-25-2008, 04:57 AM

i just realized that you're located 14mi north of the north pole. who's your neighbor? mrs claus? be careful what you do or you may not get anything this christmas
Old 07-25-2008, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by smoke19D
i just realized that you're located 14mi north of the north pole. who's your neighbor? mrs claus? be careful what you do or you may not get anything this christmas
Like I said, Trying to be neighborly about this... (and stay off the naughty list )

Santa's house is only a short drive from mine.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Chapter President

Try to do something nice and people still find a way to get in your face. Probably should have asked first, but come on people, what is this world coming to. I for one applaud your effort to upgrade at NO COST to your neighbor and try to to the right thing.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Redleg
Or, put the old one up. Back into it after a couple days and leave it laying there. Tell her to pick up her mess, p.s., I know where you can get another.
This one gets my vote.

Make sure when you put it back up you leave enough room in between the boxes to get your mower.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You did all that at your expense and she has the nerve to complain, .
At least you know what kind of neighbor she is going to be.

My mail box was located across the street, along with everyone else's on the street. Every snow storm it would get destroyed, the town was excellent with replacing them but to eliminate the aggravation I went and got a po box, I drive by the PO on my way to and from work anyway, now no more wet frozen mail.

Talking to the post master is definitely the way to go.

Tim
Old 07-25-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have been ecstatic to have a free NEW mailbox.

I would've said "thank you, that was thoughtful!" But that's just me, and I am a VERY long way away from you.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a Postmaster and her mailbox is her personal property even if it's on your property. Some people are pretty picky about their stuff so I can see where she would get upset, but I personally wouldn't have a problem with it...it's just a mailbox. As far as reprocutions from the Postal Service, there won't be any unless tampering with the mail is involved. Good luck in your fight.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully you trashed the old boxes already. If so, tell her that the old one no longer available but that you'll be glad to install whatever style of box she wants to purchase or she can have the new one that you've already installed at no charge.

If you still have the old one, put it back up and then complain to her weekly about her ratty looking mail box devaluing your property until she replaces it at her own expense.

Quick Reply: Mailbox Question