Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Question Lighting

I got a quiz for all of you out there...
I know some of you will know the answer, but I was just wondering.
How come out 1 ton dually trucks have the lights across the cab and on the tail end?
Besides the fact that they look cool.
Like I said, most of the OTR guys and gals should know this.
Jim
Old 07-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was a DOT requirement on any vehicle wider than X number of inches (92 maybe)? I also thought the ID lights on top were meant for the purpose of identifying large vehicles. Is that not correct?

I just have them because they look cool.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Yes you got it,
They are the ICC identification lights.
You would be suprised that most people have not got a clue why they are there.
Good work. Jim

BASIC EQUIPMENT REQUIRED ON ALL TRUCKS, BUSES & MPVs

Front Identification Lamps (ID)
Indicate presence of a wide vehicle Exactly 3 Yellow on the front - center - horizontally spaced 150 mm (6 in.) to 300 mm (12 in.) apart As high as practicable or on top of cab

Rear Identification Lamps (ID)
Attention: Required for vehicles 2032mm wide or wider, but not required on Truck Tractors (P2 or P3 ) Indicate presence of a wide vehicle Exactly 3 Red Rear - center - horizontally spaced 150 mm (6 in.) to 300 mm (12 in.) apart, facing rearward in Canada : at the top - maybe lower if door header narrower than 25mm
in USA: as high as practicable
Old 07-08-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also are supposed to have the marker lights on the widest part of the vehicle to indicate width - on the pontoons for training wheel-equipped trucks. Tag-along box trailers with external wheel wells that are over a certain width are also supposed to have the markers on the wheel well (widest part of vehicle) if they are still attached (see alot of contractor trailers missing fenders these days).

One of my pet peeves is burnt out marker/signal lights or, worse yet, destroyed/completely missing lights on trucks and trailers. And let's not get into the conveniently absent trailer tags with the busted tail lights loaded so you can't see the tow vehicle's lights.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:07 PM

I've got the Clearance light's and the tailgate light's on my 2500. They were on there when I bought it. I love the clearance light, my wife think's they look dumb. The tailgate light's are kind of cool too. I think the previous owner had trashed the original tailgate and put a 1-ton on it. The lights weren't even wired in when I bought the truck, but I fixed that. Used a 2 wire trailer connector so I can pull off the tailgate if needed. . I figure if you don't have some Chicken light's on it, it must not be a big enough truck.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:05 PM

The identification lights are required if the width of the vehicle is over 78 inches. Per federal DOT rules.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:29 AM

I just figger'd it was the result of some crafty lightbulb salesmanship with the auto manufacturers.

PISTOL
Old 07-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Administrator

OCD?

Originally posted by redramnc
Also are supposed to have the marker lights on the widest part of the vehicle to indicate width - on the pontoons for training wheel-equipped trucks. Tag-along box trailers with external wheel wells that are over a certain width are also supposed to have the markers on the wheel well (widest part of vehicle) if they are still attached (see alot of contractor trailers missing fenders these days).

One of my pet peeves is burnt out marker/signal lights or, worse yet, destroyed/completely missing lights on trucks and trailers. And let's not get into the conveniently absent trailer tags with the busted tail lights loaded so you can't see the tow vehicle's lights.
I think that next to brakes, lighting is the next most important.
You have to let Mr. Stupid John Q motorist just what they are going to hit.
I have a bad habit and I am always getting flack for it, every day before I leave while my wife and daughter are getting in the truck, I do a walk around with the lights on and engine running with a rag and clean the lamps and listen for noises. I know it is a bit excessive but it is a habit.
Jim.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine gets the walkaround treatment too. 20 years of military vehicles will do that to you.

The only problem i have with the fender lights is that they glare in the mirrors. My drive is curved gravel and I hate yard lights.

Got tractor headlights mounted under the rear bumper for easier backing. Also make good work lights.

Wife wants more "chicken lights" and says I need stacks and more chrome. Gotta love a woman with the right attitude.

Ed
Old 07-09-2005, 09:24 AM

^ lucky man Ed