Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Latest Credit Card Scam

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't answer the phone when I seen an 800 # on the display or any wierd or off the wall numbers listed or any "unavailable number" calls....

Tony
Old 01-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by dssimecek
Also, from what I have been told, the hote, motle room keys with the mag strip on it have all you information given at check in, including your full credit card number.
Advice I have been give, keep the key, or run a strong magnet over the strip.

gud luk
I can tell you without a doubt that this isn't true. The ONLY thing that goes onto your hotel key is the necessary code to unlock your door and the door to any other doors the hotel wants you to be able to open. Having just finished building a hotel (Hyatt Grande at DFW Airport) with card readers from one of the nations largest card reader suppliers, I am very familiar with how they program their cards. You need not worry about that.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:26 PM

Ah Ha, another urban legend debunked. Thanks HOSS
Old 02-01-2005, 09:27 AM

Both of these are on snopes.com (urban myths) and cannot be positively identified as false. Basically it says is it possible? Yes Is it likely? Probably not.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:37 AM

At Discovery Cove in Florida, you are issued a picture ID with a magnetic stripe on it when you check in for the day. You have to wear it on a neck lanyard all day. You have the OPTION of having your credit card info put on the magnetic stripe so that you can purchase stuff in the gifts shops without having to go to your locker and get a wallet or carry a purse all day (you are in a bathing suit all day). Just saying, it is possible for some places to put your credit card info onto a magnetic stripe.

~Rob
Old 02-01-2005, 10:32 AM

re the expiry date on credit cards. Any date that is in the future, 03/05 for example will work when they are inputing an expiry date. It does NOT have to be the same as the one on the card.

Thanks for the warning though, most people are just way too trusting. (me too)
Old 02-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by hotdram
At Discovery Cove in Florida, you are issued a picture ID with a magnetic stripe on it when you check in for the day. You have to wear it on a neck lanyard all day. You have the OPTION of having your credit card info put on the magnetic stripe so that you can purchase stuff in the gifts shops without having to go to your locker and get a wallet or carry a purse all day (you are in a bathing suit all day). Just saying, it is possible for some places to put your credit card info onto a magnetic stripe.

~Rob
I don't doubt that it's possible, but Discover Cove is probably the exception to the rule...and they probably have a more sophisticated system than most hotels do. Hotels, in general, do not put anything on that little plastic card except for the information needed to open the doors.