Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I smell a scam but where's the catch? {long}

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually tried that with the guy trying to get me...but with the worthess county cops we have around here, no dice

I'm glad mine worked out for me in them end...also learned my lesson about Cashier's checks, even those can be bad

Chris
Old 07-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Originally Posted by Sgt. Peper
I would notify the police. If they are worth a dam, they will contact the owner of the check and his bank to make sure the check is good. If it is not good, they will do a sting and arrest the suspect when he comes to pick up the truck! Make sure it clears his bank, not yours! I have been in the police business for 30 years and that is what I would do.
I tried that. It didn't work for me. He said he was from Canada, he was a fraud and so was the Company he said he worked for.I called Canadian Police I asked them what I could do about it, the officers exact words were "what do you want us to do about it". So finally the guy finally quit e-mailing me.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Police can't do anything. If he scams you, too bad. He's fromn a foreign country with no laws and our laws don't apply. Besides, if you agree to it, then it's not a scam, it's a sales agreement/contract. This is a scam. He wants to send you a check for more money. In most of these scams, the letter is suppose to tell you he can only make the check for a bigger amount, and you send the diffrence back. They usually don't really want what your selling, just the cash diffrence if your foolish enough to send it. Unfortunatley some people are foolish enough to send it.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:03 AM

SCAM! 90% of the scammers use a yahoo.com email address. All of them suck at causal English. If I'm bored, I'll respond and lead them on for awhile. If not, jsut delete the email.

brandon.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update - I insisted on cash and never heard from the guy again - of course, I still have the car too so maybe I was too hard to work with.

I was at the bank yesterday so I asked them about this and they gave me another possible scenario to watch out for. If the buyer has stolen someones checks or account number, the account may be legit and the bank may even verify that there are sufficient funds and the check may even clear both banks but when the fraud is discovered in 4-6 weeks, it'll still come back as a bad check.

Hope that this helps keep someone else out of trouble in the future.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 AM

I could easily see this as being a scam. Even if they actually pay for the car, your bank account info is on the check when it returns to there bank. right there they have your account number and can easliy get the routing number of the bank. From there, it is as simple as withdrawing funds out using a fake netteller or click to pay or some other pay service on the internet.

Same as doing a check over the phone. They don't verify who is actually on the account.

Just my 2cents
Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Update - I insisted on cash and never heard from the guy again - of course, I still have the car too so maybe I was too hard to work with.

I was at the bank yesterday so I asked them about this and they gave me another possible scenario to watch out for. If the buyer has stolen someones checks or account number, the account may be legit and the bank may even verify that there are sufficient funds and the check may even clear both banks but when the fraud is discovered in 4-6 weeks, it'll still come back as a bad check.

Hope that this helps keep someone else out of trouble in the future.
Now you know why so many businesses are posting a sign that says; "We no longer accept checks."
Old 08-09-2006, 09:00 AM

Just because you have the check, and you've taken it to your bank, and the funds are deposited into your account...that's just paper work. As others have said, if the funds are not in the account the check came from you don't have any money in you account.....and you may have already spend the money! Guess what... your bank will come to you for the money you took out of your account thinking it was yours.

So many times these types prey on peoples greed.

I saw a (new) tractor for sale in Houston, Tx. (on Ebay) for a ridiculous low price and free shipping (to anywhere). To play with them I emailed them, asked for their phone number and a good time to call, and asked them if I could pick up the machine 'cause I was in Houston. No answer was received. Now how could they ship a tractor anywhere in the US for the same cost?

It's just like all the bulk emails everyone recieves. THEY just figure if they send out enough offers, someone will bite. They're just trolling the waters of greed. Don't bite!!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:30 AM

Sounds like the trick with the money is there but next month it's not or cheque got cancelled or so on. I found out that even with a certified cheque they can be cancelled and by that time the vehical is gone and resold. Sure you can go after them bu it's the cost and time issue and good luck finding them.