Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I need a truck or why can insurance steal mine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a truck or why can insurance steal mine?

Thus the name 'lost diesel'. Insurance companies are able to buy your vehicle at whatever $ amount they prescribe? WOW Anyway, the pictures of the 97 2500 club cab show the tale and I can't get anywhere with an insurance company other than let them have it or apply for a salvage title. Maybe I should be self-insured and fix it and go back on the road.
Hope the pictures upload. Shop wrote the estimate at 74% of insurance value and spent 2 hours begging me not to take the truck out of their shop. So, what do you experienced folks think? Is it time for a new truck? This one has 191000 on it and just got back a very good report on the last oil analysis, sampled two weeks before the incident. Never touched the fuel pump or the automatic transmission - just worked on the front end a couple of times.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 AM

Looks like I can't attach pictures yet. Truck is immaculate, at least the rear, drivers side and front. Damage is to right bed side - 1/2 is wrinkled, light damage to bottom of the door and wrinkled rocker panel underneath and bent trailing arms on the axle with the axles upper trailing arm mounting brackets slightly warped. The aftermarket Alcoa wheel seems straight and true.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:09 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
You should be able to post photos in your members gallery.
Click on the button in the page header then click on upload photos.
All new photos must be authorized by Admin before they will appear on the website though.
You post 'em up, well check 'em out, then let them load into the galleries.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:36 PM

I fixed mine, myself, I didn't want payments again and I love the truck. Insurance company gave me enough to go through the entire body paint the whole truck and update a few other things, and have money left over. It depends how much you like your truck? My understanding is 97 to early 98 is the better 12V to have. Pics would be nice to see.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM

I guess I'm missing the whole story. What exactly happened?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your reffering to ins company wanting to total it out. In texas you can fight it in court if thier offer is below book value. Now a couple things, if the trucks fixable, save yourself a lot of headache and take thier offer with one provision. DO NOT LET THEM TOTAL IT and keep the truck. Most companies will agree and knock off a few hundred. Reason i say this if they total it your title goes in to the state listed as non drivable, even if you keep the truck. You cant get a salvage title, even if you repair the truck it has to be inspected by a state approved shop, before you can get any kind of title, and most shops wont pass it. But if they dont total it out all you have to do id fix it and go,,,in tx anyway.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:27 PM

My friend just went through this with his insurance company...

He rear ended a ford explorer and when he hit the brakes the front bumper drove under the explorer and he hit the trailer hich receiver.. Broke the engine off the mounts and cracked the head..

Damage is estimated at $9,000.. Value of the truck is 13,500.. they totaled it because the Salvage value + the damage exceeded the value of the truck.. he could have bought the truck from the insurance company for the salvage value and they would have paid him the difference to the estimated value.

You should be able to buy it from them for the salvage value and keep the difference between that and the valuation of the truck.. And by the way the value of the truck is negotiable.. bring in receipts for everything you have recently done to the truck, improvements value etc...

Gerry
Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by KY lost diesel
Maybe I should be self-insured and fix it and go back on the road.
How much to self-insure where you're from? I think it's $50,000.00 in NM. Sometimes I think about doing the same thing.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:04 PM

I had to deal with this once on a ford ranger. The insurance co, only wanted to give me $6200 for an $8600 truck. Thats a fairly significant different. I refused their offer and paid $200 for an attorney. Before we even were able to get the reports made up from blue book, local comparatives, and nada the insurance company without hesitation gave me the $8600. Its amazing how fast these insurance companies will buckle at the sight of an attorney when they know their figures are wrong So if their difference in value is a few grand and worth the time and effort you may consider that option. You pay 1000s upon 1000s to these agencies in your life and the 1 or 2 times you need them they try to stiff you